*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/579926-The-Lonely-Spirit
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · History · #579926
Love, Romance, Mysterious past, Historical Fiction
1879 South Dakota

         Robert Williams gazed out at the sunset, falling rapidly over the open plains. He sat on the wooden porch, rocking in his withered rocking chair. After lighting a cheroot, he sighed as the smell of beef stew, cornbread muffins, and dutch peach cobbler wafted past him. He and two of his ranch hands had just buried his niece Elizabeth Williams two days earlier. One of his brothers children who after twenty five years, had been missing, or believed to be dead, had been returned by the calvary scouts.

         Roberts niece, Elizabeth, her sister Clara, and the youngest brother James had all turned up missing twenty five years ago.
As he sat and let his mind ponder over the events that had taken place, he could not help but to wonder now, if the girl would have been better off where she had lived. In a Lakota Indian tribe.

         Robert had recalled the days when his brother and his wife had gotten caught up in both the gold rush fever, and the attempt to make a better life for themselves by choosing to venture out in a wagon train headed west to Oregon. Those were happy days indeed. He too had convinced his wife Elsa to also go west. He had made plans to follow behind his brothers family a month later, and they had both planned to meet up eventually at their final destination of Portland.

         Robert remembered the day he had recieved the telegram. His wagon train had just pulled into Ft Phil Kearny in Nebraska territory. The Indians had attacked, his brother, his brothers wife and two oldest children had been killed. No one knew what had happened to the three younger ones. He had then, at that time presumed that they were either dead, or taken captive. If they had been taken captive, there still might be a chance that they were alive somewhere. He truly wanted to believe that.

         Elizabeth had been returned to him and Elsa six months ago. The girl also had a very young daughter with her. It was no secret that the baby was a half breed. Elizabeth herself was held at Ft Pierre until he could arrive there to identify her, and take her home. Upon his arrival to the fort, he was taken immediatly to where the girl was kept. It had been so many years since he had last seen any of his nieces and nephews, he just was not sure. As he looked over the girl, it was evident that she was her fathers, his brothers child. She had been wearing a long fringed and beaded buckskin dress, leggings, and moccasins. Her dark hair had been deshevled from its long braids and he could tell she was not happy. Tear stains upon her cheeks, although dried, were there. When he spoke to her as calmly and kindly as he could, he realized that she spoke no english. Or, she just out right refused to speak it. Her baby was just as red as the next savage he had ever seen on this earth. He recalled glancing through the room that day at the fort. There were several white women, half breed women, and children there too. The Army had informed him that they had all come from three different tribes. Tribes they considered hostile, because they refused to move onto the reservations. Upon attacking their scattered villages, they rounded up what they figured were white captives, taken against their will at one time or another and were to notify any next of kin to take them home.

         Robert had been just beside himself upon seeing this view before him, and listening to what the Army clerk had to say. He knew his brothers family had been killed, and it was he who reported to the Army that not all of the family had been accounted for. There were still three missing, and here was Elizabeth. How would Elsa feel? How would she react when he brought the girl home with a baby too? He wasnt sure, but knew it was his duty and promise he had made to himself upon his brothers death, to take care of any surviving family members should they ever be found again.

         He would keep his promise, and loaded up the girl, who now appeared to be at least 28 years old. He did the quick math, knowing she was only three when she had disapeared, and what could he do? But take her home to his ranch. His journey along the Oregon trail had ended with the news of his brothers familys death, and the disappearance of the three children. His home now was just north of the Black Hills, just outside of a small town called Sturgis, SD. It had been a long journey home again from the fort. During this time he tried to talk to Elizabeth, gain her trust, and friendship. To no avail was she friendly, and she had attempted to run more than once. Finally he had to tie the girl to his wrist to make sure she did not run off and hurt herself or get lost. Prehaps the Army had been right, they were hostile alright, and she was too. He removed every weapon, or anything that could even be used as a weapon including her sewing awl for fear she might use it to stab him. Finally they made their way to the ranch he called home, and to Elsa. Elsa had immediatly found one of her dresses and gave the girl a bath. She had ordered him to burn the buckskin dress, leggings and moccasins. She wanted no heathens in her home, relative or not.

         Now as he sat and rocked on the porch, he wondered if he truly did do the right thing by the girl. Now, she and her child were both dead. He had a hand in it he was sure. A tear found its way down his cheek and he quickly wiped it away. Winter was coming soon, the winds were picking up, and Elsa was calling him for supper.

~~~~~

2001 New York City, NY

Caroline Elizabeth Williams sat on the edge of her bed daydreaming of days gone by, and of her Mother who had just passed away from cancer a week ago. She heard her father Ben yelling for her to get ready, they would be late, she had a plane to catch. Carol was not happy about flying off to some strange place in the middle of nowhere. Her older brother John was married, had a family and just couldnt make the trip right now. He had obligations. Well, so did she. She had just graduated from City college and wanted to get on with her life as a medical student. It was her lifes dream to be a Dr. Now, everything was on hold due to the passing of her mother. She knew it was not her mothers fault, and she had prayed and visited her everyday while she was in the hospital. She missed her mother. When her mother was alive, she had seen very little of her as her parents were divorced for years. Her mother insisted on living at her family ranch that had been owned by her ancestors for well over a hundred years. Caroline was a city girl, and taking the trip out in the middle of nowhere just did not appeal to her. She finally stood and slammed the suitcase shut and made her way downstairs so that her father could drive her to the airport. Someone had to go through her mothers things, and that someone was now her.

         Ben had rushed her into the car, and packed her suitcases into the trunk while Caroline sat in the front seat just staring ahead. Once that was accomplished, they were off to the airport. Her father Ben had given her a complete rundown on what she was expected to do, and not to worry, there were ranch hands there and it would be only a matter of weeks before she could return home. Ben just didnt know what to do with the old ranch yet, and figured he would just sell it off if it were still sellable. Carolines plane had departed at the exact time and off she went. To an unknown destination, with a map her father had drawn out for her so that she would know exactly where to go once she got there, and frightened she was.

          The plane landed with ease, and upon unboarding she could feel right away that the temperature had dropped severely and the wind gusts made it even colder, and her coat was packed away, so she ran to the baggage claim, got her rent a car, and got the heater warmed up fast. Caroline looked over the map and then drove off in the direction indicated on her fathers hand drawn map. She had not driven more than ten minutes before the snow had begun to fall.

"I sure do hope that I find this ranch before the weather worsens" Caroline thought aloud.

         She drove on, until coming to a rural dirt road, and turned. After driving close to twelve miles from any main road, there ahead of her was a dark ranch and she hoped that it was the one she was looking for. She pulled into the driveway and hit the bright lights on the car. Evening was approaching fast, and the sky now was a dark purple haze with a white overcast due to the snow. It looked like the ranch her father had described to her, and she decided to at least get out of the car and knock on the front door just incase it was the wrong ranch. She left the car lights on as she got out of the car, and just for an instant, she thought she had seen a shadow of someone in one of the upstairs rooms walk by.

"Where are the ranch hands?" she said outloud.

          She remembered her father telling her there would be at least one who lived on the property, but in the snow, she doubted she would see anyone. Caroline continued up to the porch and knocked on the door. The ranch looked diserted, and she seen or heard no one. She then fumbled in her purse for the key, in hopes that it would fit. She was shivering from the wind and just before locating the key, someone had come from around the corner of the house.

"Can I help you lady?" A mans voice spoke out, loud enough for her to hear and she spun around to see who it was.

"Yes, Im looking for my mothers ranch, Im not sure if this is the one or not" She managed to get that out through chattering teeth.

"The lady who owned this ranch passed away, you must be her daughter" He walked toward her as he spoke.

"My name is Tom, Tom as in ranch hand Tom, Tom Thunderhorse. I work here.

          Caroline just stood there staring at him, she had never seen an indian before and was quite taken with his handsome looks, and his voice was just as kind and deep. She almost melted right there on the porch. The freezing temperatures seemed to just vanish at that moment.

"Im Caroline, Im pleased to meet you Tom. I need to get inside.

         Tom smiled and produced his own key, and easily unlocked the door, opening it for her to go inside. Caroline quickly entered the dim, dark house. It was just as cold inside as it was outside, this made her shiver even harder as she turned once again, not seeing Tom anywhere. Within a few minutes she caught sight of a spark, and then a flame. He had started a fire in the fireplace to warm the room up. He then lit a few oil lamps, and with that she could see him even better. He too, seen her and smiled. She was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen.

"It will warm up shortly Caroline, in the mean time, Ill bring in your bags, you can have a seat and relax"

         Caroline nodded, not able to take her eyes from him, she found an overstuffed chair and sat, removing her mittens. Tom brought in her bags after she had tossed him the keys to the rent a car, and sat them along the wall by the doorway. He too could not keep his eyes from her either, but made his way to stoke the new born fire and getting the flames to shoot higher.

"How long are you staying" Tom asked.

"Just until I go through my mothers things, gather up what is needed, and get rid of the rest"

"Your mom was a great lady, and a pleasure to work for, that will mean I will be out of a job soon then" Tom replied.

"Well, I do hope you find a new job soon. My father told me there were some important papers and things that needed to be packed up. Papers that have been in the family for generations. I guess he wants to keep them.

Tom nodded, then glanced at Caroline.

"I know about them, and what happened. A relative of yours, a Robert Williams kept some daily journals and things about his niece. Im sure you know the story. Thats why your mother stayed here all those years, it was her great great Uncle who once built and owned this place.

          Carolines eyes grew wide as she looked at Tom. She had no idea how this ranch had become part of the family. She would find out the secret though. She would go through every journal and diary she could find for information.

"Tom? do you know where these journals and diarys are at?

"In the attic, at least that was the last that I knew of them."

"Can I see them? I want to know what happened, and why my mother insisted on keeping this place."

          Tom looked at her, she was so beautiful, he did not want her to go back to where ever it was she came from. He shrugged and said,

"Lets get this house warmed up first, and wait until daylight. My cabin is out back aways, thats where all the ranch hands who lived here stay."

         Caroline sighed and decided it best to wait until morning, she also did not want Tom to leave. She now looked at him.

"Please dont go, Im sure your cabin is not all that far from here, but, this is my first night in this house, and I am afraid.

         Tom smiled and moved closer to her now.

"There is nothing to be afraid of, spirits cannot hurt you. At least this one wont."

"Spirits? are you saying this house is haunted or something? I wont stay here at all if it is."

         She then thought of the snow, and the howling wind outside. Finding an afghan lying across an old sofa, she grasped it and threw it around her shoulders. Tom took her cold hand in his warm one and squeezed it gently. He had heard of love at first sight, but he never believed it until now. This girl, this beautiful girl had captured his heart, and she now needed him too.

"I wont leave Caroline, If you want me to stay, I will stay."

         Caroline loved the feeling of his hand around hers, and she looked up into his jet black velvety eyes. He smiled slightly as he too looked into her bright blue eyes.

"You are very beautiful Caroline, I just had to tell you that. If you like, I can tell you what you came so far to know."

         Caroline nodded and smiled up at him. She was lost in his words, voice, eyes and smile. Suddenly, there was a noise, it was very faint, but she heard a floor board creak just the same, as if someone were walking overhead. Tom had heard it too, but he knew what had made the noise. It was a legend among his people, and they spoke about the spirit who lived at the ranch for over a century.

         With that and also knowing how cold it was outside, and a blizzard now well in full force, he rose to sit next to Caroline. Not able to help himself, soon an arm slipped around her shoulders. Caroline too did not hesitate, and welcomed the closeness by slipping an arm around him, and resting her head upon his shoulder. Tom now brought up a hand, letting his finger trace the outline of her sweet lips. Startled a bit, Caroline attempted to move away from him, just a little bit. Tom lowered his eyes, hoping that gaining just a little extra room was all she had planned, and before he could stop himself, his lips lowered to hers, To his surprise, she responded to his kiss and returned it, not moving farther away at all. She did not want this moment to end and soon forgot all about the creaking noises, the blowing cold wind, blizzards, and everything else.
          Tom knew he had to tell her about the ghost, as he had heard stories about it since he was born. He then pulled slightly away from Caroline and spoke in a calm, quiet tone.

"Caroline, I must tell you of one of your ancestors. It was a very long time ago when our tribes would raid wagon trains, ranchers and miners. They came through our lands, starving us, by driving all the buffalo herds away. They made a trail, called the Oregon trail, and came like one wave after another. They destroyed the land, and forced us on to reservations. One thing they did not do was to kill small children or women if they did not have to.

          Carolines eyes went wide now, hearing this.

"Tell me more Tom"

          Tom continued on;

"There was a wagon train, one of many at that time. One unlucky train was attacked, not because they planned it out that way. The people were hungry and starving, and tried to approach the train to trade. They needed food. The people on the wagon train had circled and started shooting. They killed indescriminantly, women, children, old people, and warriors. Another tribe had been moving to better hunting grounds at the same time and seen what was happening. So, they began to fire back, several of the children and young women were taken captives. They would do that to bring them back to the tribe, and adopted them out to family's who had lost children or relatives of their own. They were treated well, and raised learning our traditions and cultures. One of your relatives had been captured at a very young age. She was one of your mothers relatives. Her uncle owned this land and ranch. It was his brother, wife and two older children that got killed. Three of the small children were taken captive and grew up as one of the people. Her name was Elizabeth, but, through out her life she had recieved many new names, not english ones. Years later, the army forced many tribes onto reservations. She grew up and married a proud warrior who was one in the tribe who refused to go. The Army attacked the village and killed many, and those who they found who looked white, or half breed, they rounded up and contacted any living relatives that they could. At the time Elizabeth was captured, she had five children, their father fought bravely and saved them all, and himself. His wife was captured by the army along with the youngest daughter. Elizabeth did not want to be taken away from the only family she had known and loved. She needed to be with her husband and children. She had tried to run many times, to get home to her family, and watched everyday from this house for her warrior to come for her and save her. One day her little daughter got very sick, and died. Elizabeth grieved for her daughter very hard. Her Uncle and Aunt kept her upstairs in a room, locked in so she would not run away. She would try to run every chance she got, to get home again. She would pace by the windows waiting for her warrior to come and take her home. He never found her. Within a few months, Elizabeth starved herself to death. She did not wish to live without her daughter, or her only family she had known her whole life. Her Aunt and Uncle were both strangers to her, and didnt even speak the same language as she did. They say she died of a broken heart, and still to this day, her spirit paces back and forth in front of the windows of her room, waiting for her warrior to return to her. She will not hurt you, but her spirit will never rest. Tom then looked into Carolines eyes, his thumb brushed away a tear. Caroline blinked hard and now realized why her mother would never part with this house. Tom held her close to comfort her.

          The next day they had been snowed in. The sky was bright white, more snow was coming soon, and Tom led Caroline upstairs. In the attic he led her to an old steamer trunk, and Caroline kneeled down to open it. Inside she found the notebook of her Uncles. She read it from beginning to end. His story was different from Toms. Then Tom handed her an old ledger book. Inside of the book were page upon page of drawings done by Elizabeth during her last days of life, depicting the whole story from her own heart. Caroline also found the buckskin dress, leggings and moccasins, which her Great Great Uncle had never burned, but had stored here for her. She found the small baby cradle board decorated in millions of beads and quills. This trunk had been here for over a hundred years, locked up. Tom looked at Caroline now.

"How long are you staying?"

"For at least a hundred years." Caroline smiled.

~~~~~

~end~

Written by BlueThunder.
© Copyright 2002 BlueThunder (bluethunder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/579926-The-Lonely-Spirit