*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/671803-To-Melia
by Kings
Rated: E · Article · Personal · #671803
A short story about my life and my wife's life as my angel.

To Melia
I was raised as one of ten children, in a poor Kentucky family. With an honorable Dad and a saint for a Mom.

I was raised as well spiritually as any one could have been. In my growing up years I developed a Paranoid condition. It held me in its grip for a long period of time. As I started my teen years the Paranoia became worse.

I was a very shy boy and had a problem coping in school. I felt the other students were talking about me, and making fun of me. I felt because of my old clothes and my acme facial complexion it made me different.

When I reached 14 I started seeking refuge in any place where I was alone. I would talk out loud to myself as though I was talking to God. Now that I think back He was listening I know.

Because I was such a shy and reserve boy. I would tell God all my thoughts and fears usually out loud. That was when I ask him to send me a girl who would become my guiding angel. I started asking this of God at age 14, but it was not until the age of 22 she would come to me.

I used to play softball a lot around Northern Kentucky. I began hearing the voice of a girl cheering me on when I would bat when I became 20. Though I would look sometimes to see who she was I never saw her. When I played in the outfield on defense, She would come out and sit near the foul lines. At that time I did not know which outfielder she was watching play ball. All I could see was her red hair. She did this for 2 years before we met. My being so shy did not help matters in any way to meet her sooner.

I lived in a little town in rural Kentucky. One evening I was standing near the main road in the town. As I looked up the road I saw a pick up truck coming my way with furniture in it. As it passed me I heard girls yell and call my name I did not recognize the truck or the girls, so I forgot about the event. A couple of weeks later 2 of my boy cousins came to my house and ask me if I wanted to go see the new girls. We did go to their house and we were in the car when they came out to see us. They introduced me to all of them about that time my older cousin suggested I could be with the red head. (Betty Jo) she stuck her head in the window of the car and said no you don't have to be with me.

Little did i know, but this was the same girl who had been my biggest fan playing softball for the last two years. At that time I still did not know who she was.

A few more weeks went by and school started Betty Jo, was still in high school and so was my younger brother Wayne. They road the same school bus to school. When she found out Wayne was my brother, she gave him a note to give me. It invited me to meet her at the school house steps at 7:00 that night and that evening we really met for the first time.

She and her friend Brenda waited on the school house steps for Wayne and me. We walked up the road to the school. There was a chill in the air that night. I wore a trench coat when I came to see her. When I saw her red hair and freckled face I remembered her as the red head. I was very shy even though I was 20 at that time. Betty Jo was only 15 and a Sophomore in school. After we said hi and greeted one another. Betty Jo began to talk to me a lot as a matter of fact I thought she was never going to shut up.

While we sat on the school steps she told me about my softball games. She admitted coming to my games just to see me. It shocked me I did not know what to say at the time. We talked for a hour or so and then I walked her home holding her hand. We never kissed the first night, but I asked her if I could come to see her at her home. She said yes, but I would have to meet her Mother if I intended to date her.

This was in 1961 before the Beetles or the Vietnam war. We began dating regularly and soon we were going steady. I had 7 younger siblings to watch over during the day. My Mom suffered from a long term illness and was in and out of the hospital. My 2 older sisters had gotten married and moved away.

I had an old 1950 Ford then to drive. Betty jo had a younger brother who was around the same age as my 2 little sisters. Because I had to baby sit my siblings I would take 3 or sometimes 4 with me where ever I went. Betty Jo would bring her brother along. We would ride around the little country town in my old Ford. The kids seem to love going to different places to stop and see different things.

You might say Betty Jo and I had children to care for before we were married. We did not mind having the kids with us all the time we loved them dearly. Thank goodness I had Betty Jo to help me with the kids, (She was my Guiding Angel).

In October of 1963 I was drafted into the Army. I went to Ft. Knox, Ky. for basic training. It was about 150 miles from home. I spent 8 weeks there Betty Jo came to see me twice while I was there. She sent me a letter everyday. I did not get a leave after basic training they sent me to Ft. Hood, Texas for AIT.

After AIT I was assigned to the 1st armored division, I was there for 6 months before I got a leave to come home. Oh! how I missed Betty Jo, and the kids. During my leave I asked Betty Jo if she would marry me and go back to Texas with me. Her Mother was hesitate to let her marry me. She wanted her to finish high school first but, we got married and I took her to Ft. Hood with me.

We arrived in Belton Texas, about 10 miles from Ft. Hood, Texas, then we went to Killeen, Texas about 1 mile from Ft. Hood. We started searching for an apartment to live in. We walked down the street and turned the corner there stood a for rent sign. The lady said she had an apartment down the street for rent. She took us to the bus terminal to get our bags and then to the apartment for rent. Betty Jo loved the big kitchen that it had. I was so relieved to be settled down in our apartment knowing I had to report on post for duty the next day.

In the Army a PFC. don't make much money. Betty Jo did receive an allotment, but it was a small amount. We were fine the first couple of weeks of each month, but the last two we had little money left. The Army payday is once a month. I felt so sorry for my angel in the last of the month. She sometimes had to eat jelly, crackers, and drink powdered milk. I usually ate my dinner on post so I was lucky.

After Betty Jo met some other ladies who lived near by. They told her the little store on the corner would give credit if she needed it. So she started getting credit and I felt much better. She was very watchful of what she bought she would bake cakes, and pies for me. she became a great cook making different dishes.

Yes we did not ask for help from our parents we made it on our own. Betty Jo found new friends to walk and shop in Killeen with. She seemed to like being away from home as long as we were together. We lived in that apartment for about 6 months.

Oneday she was reading the local newspaper and saw an add for a live in baby sitter. A married couple is what they wanted. We answered the add the lady asked us to come to her house for an interview. She was a German lady who was married to a GI who was stationed in Korea. She had 5 kids to baby sit. We were there no more than 10 moments and she said you have the job to Betty Jo.

Marie, gave us a bedroom, and offered to feed us in exchange for baby sitting. This meant we would not have to pay for our rent. She had 2 boys Tommy age 5, and Fredy age 4. There were 3 girls, Mopsy age 7, Peggy age 6, and Connie bug age 2. I had Connie spoiled rotten within a month.

They were 5 great kids well mannered and respectful. Betty Jo and I grew to love them very much. Marie had a 1959 Ford station wagon she sold me. After we bought the car we took the kids all over central Texas on rides. There was a big lake in Belton, Texas with rides and swings. We often took the kids there for a day of play. We also often took them to a drive in movie in Killeen.

It was nice to have a little extra money to spend on ourselves and the kids. Betty jo had no problem caring for the kids. I sure did not after all I had cared for my siblings. We enjoyed every moment we spent with them.

Then oneday the first seargent called me in the office. He said I had 1 week to clear post and report to Ft. Benning, Ga. for calvary training. I knew what the Army had in mind. They were going to ship me to Vietnam after training. I came home and told Betty Jo, and Marie. Naturally Marie would have to find another baby sitter. There was no reason to take Betty Jo to Georgia with me. I only had 4 months of service time left. So I sent her home to kentucky she stayed with her mother.

When I got to Georgia I was repelling out of hlicopters, and training for jungle warfare. At that time president Johnson was thinking of extending all military service personel. I had 2 months of Army time left to serve at that time. Then president Johnson said over the radio there would be no extentions. So I knew if I went to vietnam it would not be for long. A couple of weeks later the first seargent said at revalry, the following names are not going to Vietnam. I was one of the names he called.

The first thing I did was call Betty Jo in Kentucky to let her know she was thrilled. I could not help, but think of the other soldiers who were going to Vietnam. I walked around to the other barricks and talked to the troops and wished them well. It was a heart breaking experience.

I spent my last 6 weeks of service picking up trash on detail. When I was not on detail I slept all the time.

Soon I was discharged and came home to Betty Jo it was nice to be there with her. We moved into a very small cottage next to mom and dad after I was discharged from the Army. I soon found out I was a changed man inside and out. Because of my untreated Paronoia, and some incidents that happened to me in the Army. I no longer had patience for anything.

I found a job working in a factory in the city. Betty Jo and I started to live and love each other in a civilian life. She had become an excellent cook overtime. She cooked as though i was a horse, baking pies, and cakes. Soon it began to show on my body for I picked up a lot of weight.

My 2 younger sisters were about 10, and 11 at the time. Dad was a good family man, but his work paid little for a dad of 10 kids. Betty Jo and I would give the girls spending money and sometimes we took them shopping to buy new clothes for thierselves. We tried to help the family as much as we could.

Betty Jo was constantly helped Mom in many ways. She loved my Mom as much as she loved hers. Thank God for sending her my way she was a city girl, but she sure helped this country boy.

We lived in that little cottage for 35 years I bought it from Dad. My Paronoia began to bother me more I began to see a doctor. The medication he prescribe was helping me cope with my problem. With Betty Jo's great wisdom she helped me to understand myself. She acted as my own personal counselor.

We moved to an apartment, with no grass to cut or any maintenance work to do. I began to overcome my Paronoia to an extent I was 35 at this time in my life. I felt it was time to live a normal mental life. With the help of God and betty Jo I started too.

In 1980 I started coaching the company's softball team where I worked. This helped me to assume more of a responsibility for myself. It certainly gave me more confidense in myself. Since I knew the game well I filled the spot of coaching quiet well. Before long I gained respect from my players and they played their heart out for me. I in return put my heart in coaching for them.

In 1983 I formed my own softball team to play around the city. The first couple of years we finished in last place in the league. But in 1985 we won 1st place in the league. This really gave me a lot of confidense in myself. Gradually I overcome my Paronoia, and depression with medication of course. I still saw a doctor for my Paranoid condition though.

Betty Jo stood by me as my personal counselor and helped me through the complete ordeal. I often had to lean on her for for the right answers.

At this time in life I was in my early forties I finally started to live a normal and great life. It seemed I gained a huge amount of wisdom of life itself. I began to understand myself why I felt this way and that way. Soon I realized the main reason for my Paronoia and depression was in fact the dislike for myself. I became strong enough to monitor my Paranoia able to stop any wrong thoughts before they become a problem.

With the help of God, and Betty Jo I overcame my shyness and lack of confidense. As a matter of fact I actually became forward in many ways I guess I felt it was time to make up for lost time.

In 1988 we bought a small home in the city. Betty Jo loved it this meant she could have a dog. The yard was totally fenced in to keep them safe from cars. I began to live in a slower pace of life. But in 1989 I had an heart attact, this really slowed me down. Then in 1993 I had to have an arterial by pass for my legs. After that in 1997 I had a second heart attact. This left me somewhat disabled so I retired as a laborer early in life.

Betty Jo is still working a 40 hour week and it's no fun. Because we have no children when she is home we spend time together. I have an old classic car I show in the summer months at car shows. Also since I found Writing.com I have started to write my poetry again. Now I have the time to do as much writing as I wish. I have a Nephew who is a Junior at U of L, University of Loisville. He is majoring in Sports Management, and holds a 4.3 average. He is the son I never had I love him very much.

I wrote this little article to explain why I consider Betty Jo my guiding angel. I had a lot of members emails asking me how God played a part in my life, and why I call My wife my guiding angel.

I hope this little article helps to explain the members questions.

Here on Writing.com I have made many true friends. Who's friendship I treasure as worthy friends. My port has received many complimentary comments and I do appreciate it. Thank you for reading this about my angel.

BY: Kings









© Copyright 2003 Kings (tazzy1228 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/671803-To-Melia