*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/677115-Who-Am-I
Rated: ASR · Essay · Biographical · #677115
The Woman Behind The Pen
I was born and raised in Jonesboro, Georgia. I came into this world in 1978. I was raised by my grandparents, Louise and Bill Hayes. We were poor, but had all the necessities needed to survive. My grandmother was 55 years old when she began raising me, alongside my grandfather. A time when they should have been enjoying their lives free of parental responsibilities and other worrisome things.

The house I live in, is where I was born. I love my home, and there are many memories here, but I cannot wait until I am able to start a life of my own. I stay with my grandmother to help her out. Since she raised me, I figured it was time for me to do my best to take care of her. Times are very stressful for us. My aunt has cancer and is living with us, until it is time for her to leave this world.

As for my religious background? My grandmother raised me as a Christian, while my grandfather did not think it right to raise me as a certain religion. He always thought I should be able to choose my own religion. I was made to go to church every Sunday. Because she was raised in the Salvation Army, my grandmother made me go to their church. My family has a history with them, since the Salvation Army has been a large part of their lives. There is nothing wrong with that. I just feel as if I should be able to choose my own spiritual path. So, at 13, I began reading about Wicca, magic(k), Witchcraft, Psychic Powers, and other subjects in that genre. I felt as if I belonged in the Pagan/Wicca way. I made my choice to do that instead. It is hard to study my Craft in this house, since it is a Christian household. I do not hold it against them. I respect their religion. I only ask for the same, but that is not possible. As long as I am happy with my decision, it doesn't matter.

I had to grow up fast when I was 13. My grandfather passed away, so that left me taking care of my grandmother as best I could. It was not easy, and it still is not. In the end, it will all come back to me in good things, I hope. Being raped as a teenager, and sexually molested as a child, doesn't help much either.

At 16, I got my first job. I could help my grandmother that way. She never had to ask, I did it all on my own. I am 25 now, and I still do my best to help my grandmother financially. It is hard, but it can be done.

Over time, I have come to realize that I may be stronger than I think. I am a survivor and I know it. Without the help of the Divine, I would not be where I am today. Slowly, but surely, getting my life put back together.

© Copyright 2003 ElizabethHayes-DaughterofIAM (amethyst78 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/677115-Who-Am-I