*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/717744-One-bad-turn-deserves-another
Rated: GC · Short Story · Relationship · #717744
Do you ever wish you hadn't got up in the morning?
ONE BAD TURN DESERVES ANOTHER



Sam hated his boss. That’s why the news this morning had put a smile on his face. Ironic really that Dick should have a heart attack; Sam had always considered him a heartless bastard. He hoped the little shit died a slow and painful death then rotted in hell for eternity. It would be less than he deserved for all the misery he’d caused Sam. Humming along to the radio, Sam turned the corner and realised he was lost.


         Sam hated driving. Mainly because he’d been born with no sense of direction.

         “Nearly killed me giving birth to him,” his mother told everyone. “Little bugger couldn’t even find his way into the world properly. Had to make his entrance arse first.”

         He'd be late for the meeting. That would normally freak him out but seeing as his pig of a boss was out of action he reasoned no one else would tell or care. He pulled up beside a pretty blonde.

         “Scuse me love, could you direct me to Askew Road?”

         “Carry on down here to the traffic lights, turn right, then second on your left.”


         Sam was still fantasising about the pretty blonde when he reached the traffic lights, turned right then took the next left corner at speed. Too late he realised his mistake as the one-way traffic hurtled towards him. Screeching brakes, squealing tyres, the heavy crunch of metal and then nothing. Pools of red seeped onto the road from the tangled vehicles.


         Sam hated hospitals. But he could tell from the clinical smell he was in one. He began to focus but nothing made any sense. He seemed to be in a tunnel, floating somewhere near the ceiling. Looking down he realised he was witnessing an operation; his own. Sam hated the medical programmes on television; no way was he going to watch his own body being butchered.


         He floated out of the operating theatre into a corridor. He wondered if he could locate the ward where his boss lay. Maybe he’d be able to pull out his tubes or dislodge his life support machine. No one would ever know would they?


         Another right turn took him into a small room. It came as a shock to find his red-eyed wife being comforted by a young doctor.

         “I’m so sorry Mrs Tomlinson but he’s not going to pull through. I don’t wish to sound insensitive but would you consider giving permission for his organs to be transplanted? He’s a perfect match for one of our patients awaiting a donor. Mr Richard Tator on ward three is in desperate need of a new heart.”

         “My heart in that bastard? Over my dead body!” Sam drifted as swiftly as this new experience would allow back to the operating theatre. Turning in the wrong direction he found himself in a linen cupboard. A searing pain ripped through his chest and then nothing.



© Copyright 2003 Scarlett (scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/717744-One-bad-turn-deserves-another