*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/939348-The-Journal-of-Captain-EJ-Smith
Rated: E · Fiction · History · #939348
TITANIC's captain takes his journal with him on his final voyage and it is rescued.

Chapter One--Sailing Day


The tall, white bearded gentleman in the grey overcoat and tall derby waited as his steward opened the suitcases he had brought aboard and prepared to unpack them. On the top of neatly folded shirts in one lay a thick book, its cover worn from years of use. A lovely midnight blue velvet, it boasted a small engraved brass plate which read, “Journal, Capt. Edward J. Smith”.

Here he was, over twenty-five years after starting the journal, given him by his wife when he’d taken up his first command, all those years before. Oh yes, his first command. Beautiful, unforgettable Republic. Terribly old-fashioned, he now supposed, but he had loved her well, as, he now supposed, all masters did their first command.

Back then, in January of 1887, he’d been not only a new captain, but a newlywed as well, having married the very pretty and sweet-natured Eleanor Sarah Pennington shortly before assuming command of the then-thirteen year-old Republic. My yes, what days those had been. There he’d been thirty-seven year old Edward J. Smith, tall, strapping, dark-haired, coming home after his first voyage as a captain, to find Eleanor waiting for him at the Liverpool Landing Stage, so pretty in her dark blue velvet coat and hat, beaming at him with love and pride.

Now, here he was, twenty-five years later, standing in the Captain’s Suite of his final command, the brand-new, ultra-luxurious Titanic, latest flagship of the White Star Line.
After slipping off his coat and derby and handing them to Paintin, his steward, he walked into the sitting room of the suite and sat down on the sofa, journal in hand. He had a bit of time until Wilde, the Chief Officer for this voyage, would present himself for report. Smith had a bit of time to read and write and now he would.





"April 10, 1912


At last it is sailing day for Titanic and all her crew and passengers. You would think that I could see that I have been commanding ships for a good quarter-century now, but as seems to be true—at least as the cliché would have it—I honestly cannot believe that it is twenty-five years since I first walked the decks of my Republic as a newly-minted master.

Unfortunately, as is often true in this world, there is bother along with the glory of commanding my final “mistress of the moment” as Eleanor sometimes calls my ship. I called in Wilde to replace Murdoch as Chief Officer—just for the maiden voyage as he is to assume command of Cymric upon his return. Murdoch is a fine and capable officer, but this is a very important voyage for the Line and Murdoch has yet to serve as a Chief Officer. Best that someone like Wilde take over just for this one voyage.
The biggest problem is Lightoller, the erstwhile first officer. I understand he is most putout by this change in ranks. I do understand, but Lights, as he is known has served under me before and proven to be a consummate professional. I cannot imagine him not proving to be one now.
Oh I have a bit of time...I think I shall read back in here--see what twenty-five years has been like."

"Janaury 27th, 1887


Today, I find myself thirty-seven years of age and a newly-minted master. Not only that, but I have married the woman whose heart I prayed to win...my darling Eleanor! So not only am I a newly-minted master but a newly-minted husband and I couldn't be happier!

Like all White Star captains, I am starting out with a frieghter and on the Austrailian route, but I have no doubts that with any luck at all, in time I shall be transferred to the North Atlantic route. I look forward to doing what I have wanted to do since that day I signed on the SENATOR WEBBER: command a ship of my own!"


Flipping through the entries, Smith stopped at an entry a couple of years later.


"January 27th, 1889


Such a birthday! Republic grounded at Rio de Janiero! Still no major damage done, except to my pride, I suppose. Now just a wait for the tide to float us free.

Well, not as harmless as I thought--we suffered a boiler explosion and one of the stokers died. I would think this would cut at the heart of any master! That poor man! I hope he is not married or has a family to support--this is always the worst thing when a man dies at sea. Still I suppose I must put the best face on this if interviewed by the press."

Smith sighed, since that grounding,there had been two others: both of them in the Ambrose Channel off New York and a collision between OLYMPIC and a naval cruiser. Maybe it was a good thing he was retiring. To be honest, these new ships were two-edged swords: fast, beautiful and big, and yet, at least to jude by that collision the rpevious September, a ship that size could do some serious damage. All the same his career had been a sterling one and there was just this final voyage before he could go home and let the worry over these big Ladies to some other master.

Now, Smith heard a heavy tread, one that was familiar. Best to put this aside as Wilde was there to give report.

Chapter Two--First Night Out


"I have a bit of time before turning in, so I am able to scribble a few words. I must say that near-miss with the NEW YORK at Southampton was worrisome, though it all came right and no harm done. If nothing else it prove the naysayers wrong: mastery of these new ships is possible. I must say that TITANIC performed magnificently and we were able to avoid disaster very neatly.

It is almost mind-boggling to see the sort of passengers I have the honour of ferrying back and forth across the Pond these days. I entertained Henry Harris and his lovely wife. Interesting fellow, Harris. Imagine spending ones life producing plays and musicals! Not for me, but it might be a great deal of fun for a chap given to that sort of thing. I saw a matron with a necklace that must be worth several years' salary. Amazing the American millionaire class. The Cardezas are travelling in the starboard suite with the private promenade..that alone is worth a good years' salary for me!

I truly look forward to a stellar end to my years at sea. But I confess to being well-content to stay ashore with my wife and daughter. So many men don't get the chance to spend their last years ashore. I am thankful that I shall have that chance.




© Copyright 2005 ChazLights (charlielights at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/939348-The-Journal-of-Captain-EJ-Smith