*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/955588-In-A-Mere-Dream
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #955588
A young man wakes to find his dream coming true.
In A Mere Dream

By
D. L. Miller


         In the city of early morning fog, she stands by the rail of the walkway over looking the river that seems to go forever in either direction. She wonders where it leads, if to exciting new places and people of adventure. Built across the river, set in its murky depth, a bridge and its pilings hide in mist as the morning has just begun. A slight breeze brushes her face sweeping blond curls against her cheeks a bit red from the chill in the air.

         In the city standing across the brick laid street along the curb, he watches her from behind looking at the river. He wonders what she could be thinking and doing alone so early in the morning. He was drawn to her. As a man walked behind him on stilts of wood snuffing out the lights of flame, the young man began his walk across the street. He felt he must get a closer look at the woman still leaning on the iron railing of the walkway.

         The first step taken by the young man quickly doubled back as a horse and carriage passed him by, nearly colliding. Once the street was again clear, the young man began his walk across the brick laid street towards this mysterious woman.

         From his approach, he began to take in the young woman dressed in a long dark blue coat and hat of blue velvet set to a tilt upon her head. The collar of her long coat sat up along her neck and her dress peeked out the hem of the coat sweeping the top of her high button shoes. Still moving closer he caught the smell of her perfume along the current of a breeze and noticed the white skin of her neck as her hair was pulled up and pinned with a jeweled ornament.

         The footsteps of the young man echoed and she turned to face the on comer. As she looked at him, he seemed familiar to her. Her big blue eyes fell upon his stance of tall-distinguished poise. His hat of black covered his brow and his long black coat hung buttoned around his broad shoulders. She looked into his brown eyes as he smiled at her. In return, she smiled looking to the ground shyly. Removing his hands from his pockets, he wore gloves of black leather as she did and he moved to stand beside her along the walkway rail.

         A slight breeze again swept the blond curls against her face and the young man reached to brush the curls away from her eyes. She reached up with her hand upon his as he rested it against her cheek placed in his palm. After a moment, he offered his arm and she agreed to embrace him by holding on to his arm. There were no words spoken as they walked away down the walkway with the city passing them by into the fog they vanished.

         In the city beside the fire, he wakes alone in his chair, as there is where he had fallen asleep. He supposed he found love only in a dream. He supposed he would never find love outside his dreams for there is where they keep meeting. With a sigh, he stands from his chair and begins to prepare for his day.

         Morning was kissing the grey sky as he approached the front steps of his house buttoning his long black coat. Upon the second step, he stood as across his path, she walked dressed in a dark blue long coat and hat of velvet as blond curls framed her face. Black leather gloves warmed her hands and the steps of her high button shoes echoed against the buildings set inside the fog of that morning. A man followed behind her walking on stilts of wood putting out the flames that lit the night. His eyes fixed upon her and he was drawn to follow as his dream walked passed the very steps of his house. He rushed to keep up with her, and into the fog, he disappeared.

-End-
© Copyright 2005 August Impressions (dairesse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/955588-In-A-Mere-Dream