Grammarama
        by Davy Kraken   (kraken@Writing.Com)
#306904 added July 21, 2012 at 5:25pm
Restrictions: None
Fiancé vs. Fiancée
No, these spellings are not interchangeable. There is quite a significant difference between them, in fact. Fiancé refers to a male engaged to be married, while fiancée refers to a female engaged to be married. If you have trouble remembering which sex gets one E and which gets two, you can refer to the number of E’s in the words “male” and “female.” “Male” has one E, as does the word for a man engaged to be married; and “female” has two E’s, as does the word for a woman engaged to be married. An accent is placed over the first (or only) E.

Personally, as a science-minded person, the way I taught myself to remember the distinction, before I became aware of the above method, was to match the number of E’s to the typical number of X sex chromosomes in a person: men’s sex chromosome makeup is usually XY, while women are typically XX; thus, one E for a male engaged to be married and two for a female engaged to be married. If remembering the workings of sex chromosomes isn’t your strong suit, however, then you can always do the reverse of what I do and use the number of E’s in male/fiancé and female/fiancée as a guide to each sex’s usual X chromosome count!
© Copyright 2012 Davy Kraken (UN: kraken at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Davy Kraken has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.

This printed copy is for your personal use only. Reproduction of this work in any other form is not allowed and does violate its copyright.