*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/745794
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#745794 added March 12, 2012 at 7:17am
Restrictions: None
Peyton and Colts = Favre v Packers?

Hopefully, Packer fans will get a little historical perspective in the coming months as Colts owner Jim Irsay moves his chess pieces into position in hopes of removing $28 million from his payroll enroute to a big draft day.

Peyton Manning might have the savvy to deal with a Twitter mouthpiece like Irsay. Brett Favre spoke his mind (but not in the press) and was shown the door. Irsay seems to have less of a foothold than the Packers had in removing their Hall of Fame QB.

Packer fans should appreciate what Favre meant to Green Bay the way Colts' fans will remember Manning, who will undoubtedly retire (in the eyes of this reporter). Three neck surgeries and 20 months since he last took a snap on the field of play is one thing. Getting doctors to sign off on a head that has been fused to its spine is quite another.

Manning should retire a Colt. Irsay knows Manning will likely never play again and has no designs in playing elsewhere. He does owe Manning some money for all his years of service, so Peyton will just stay pat until his roster bonus comes due in March and then we'll see if he decides it's time to embark on a broadcasting career.

Favre wanted the Packers to add some pieces so they could make one last run for one last hurrah. The team's GM, president and coach decided it was time to rebuild rather than savor past glory with the guy who could have remained a marketable part of the team's lore.

The Packers have a great team now and the potential for many Super Bowl titles with Aaron Rodgers at the helm. But with teams looking for head coaches and willling to spend cash on their players in free agency, can GM Ted Thompson work another miracle and draft the right pieces to keep his team in contention or has the hot streak ended?

Me thinks another Super Bowl will not be as easy as the one the won last year when they caught teams by surprise and got on a hot streak that extended into this year before the New York Giants ironically dashed their dreams of showing why getting rid of Favre was a good thing.

We'll never know what Favre could have done in Green Bay if he had stayed through 2009, but it could have been better than what he did with two teams in the Jets and Vikings that saw quite a bit of success since he's passed through their doors.



© Copyright 2012 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/745794