*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/749370
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#749370 added March 23, 2012 at 12:01pm
Restrictions: None
It Won't Change Outcome of '09 NFC Conference Game
Bounty-gate Justice

The New Orleans Saints and all connected with the 'bounty-gate' conspiracy were taken to the wood shed in the worst way by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. It won't change the outcome of the 2009 Conference Championship (played in 2010) that likely would have gone the way of Brett Favre's team and their rightful place in the Super Bowl that year.

Favre's ankle was messed up and the 2010 season was a fiasco that exploded, imploded and blew up every which way in the faces of everyone connected to the Minnesota franchise. Brett Favre aught to be pretty sore at the Saints' organization that he reportedly rooted for in his youth.

Some are now saying the penalty is too severe. Not severe enough, I say. Head hunting is one thing, but going behind the league's back and deliberately disobeying the rule compounds the severity of their crimes that went on for three years. Current and former players are now pointing fingers at snitches, while angered that something that has been 'going on' for so long is being dealt with so severely.

This is a wake up call, because the league is changing direction. With the severity of injuries that claim people every day, you must now know that what you sign up for when you play is not to have someone tear your head off and take you out of a game. That's dirty pool. Do unto others NFL ballers or you will be done unto by the commish.

Tim Tebow

Tim Tebow opted for the New York Jets and may have a shot at redemption, even though his only true redeemer is in the heavens...vigilant.

I would have blogged about this subject right after Manning was signed by Denver, but too many other thoughts consume this head. If I had written what I had been saying to my wife, "Watch, they'll trade him so fast it will make your head spin." Timing was important. They got him out the door the day the big news broke on the Saints' punishment.

I feel that Manning might have a shelf life of about one year, if that. Elway and Manning both know it, even though other teams courted but failed to win the services of the future hall of fame QB. It's the right fit, because Manning can take it easy behind that offensive line that will protect him and open up holes for the NFL's leading rushing offense. He can pick teams apart in the thin air of Denver with speedy wide receivers he can toss to when teams load up to stop their rushers.

Someone said Manning may have seen what Tebow did with that team and likely feels he can exploit it the way only he knows how. So it is appropo (sp.?) that Tebow got to choose the Jets with a coach who might be miffed he was rebuffed by Manning in the recent sweepstakes for the signal caller. Rex Ryan will roll the dice on Tebow and ground and pound the ball with a defense that can back up an anemic offense and shove it in Manning's face, should he get a chance to come to call. That's provided current Jet's quarterback Mark Sanchez screws up and the fans start chanting for Tebow Time!

Manning's injury is so cautionary, it reminds me how he will dive to the ground anytime a pass rusher gets near. He will not take chances this coming season. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it through the season or into next year. Question is, can he start the season? We kept hearing last year that the Colt's expected him to suit up and then it never happened. All this talk about nerve regeneration raises an eyebrow...or two.

I heard one person in Manning's camp say, if he had to, Peyton could play a game today. Are you hearing that? Because, I'm hearing just one game. I think they know the grind of a 16 game season, and add to that mini camps, training and preseason, will take it's toll. I hear them say people who put their heads into the line of scrimmage have come back from these kinds of neck injuries. What? And risk paralysis? Manning is worth more on his two legs than as a parapalegic. I wouldn't risk the current and future endorsements, if I were him.

Better bubble wrap that quarterback.

My bottom line on this: Manning is doing Elway a favor. Peyton idolizes the legendary former Bronco's QB. He could have chose other teams to go to where he had a chance with win right away...San Fran, Houston, Tennessee, even the Jets. I think it is the safest bet that doubles as an opportunity for Elway to jettison the Tebow circus and send it to the brights lights, big city.

It was heard all season that Elway could never accept Tebow's style of play and could never imagine molding him into the type of quarterback that he envisioned as the new Bronco's GM. He was brought in because the organization as a whole wanted to go in another direction. Tebow was supposed to look foolish when they 'unleashed' him and put him on the field for fan's chanting his arrival. Miracles happened. It was divinely intervened. The Bronco's management fanned the flames and the fire roared so bright, they could only sit back and take in the warmth.

They owe that kid a huge debt of gratitude, because Peyton Manning came calling to show he can do that boy one better. Only time will tell. Elway was a mistake as GM. The Bronco's gave up on the future too quickly, maybe as far back as the firing of the man who had the faith in the greatest college football player of all time, arguably.

I also believe the league does not believe in Tebow. He could ruin the game today that relies on big offense to inspire fans, inspire fantasy leagues. If Tebow wins ugly, how to equate that? They already have ticket and merchandise sales. They need to crack the fantasy markets and all the outsiders that pulls in.

So, yeah. I'll take the conspiracy as high as the owners who only want to see Tebow as a side show...sell tickets, sell jerseys and look pretty for the camera. Then they will trade him to another team for a bag of peanuts and the next franchise that needs a new stadium or to avoid blackouts in their market can do the same. But wait, Tebow chose Rex Ryan and the Jets. Though it appears they could be trying to profit like they did when they reeled in Brett Favre, Ryan is the kind of guy who seems most likely to stick it to the man.

Tebow may have been persuaded by Rex to choose his team, but it was a choice that also acknowledges 'I have a chance to prove them wrong.' He can stick it to Elway, critics, the entire league, and have the motivation to prove everyone wrong. And if he saves a few souls along the way, it's all good.


© Copyright 2012 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/749370