*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/797187
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #930577
Blog started in Jan 2005: 1st entries for Write in Every Genre. Then the REAL ME begins
#797187 added November 9, 2013 at 3:24pm
Restrictions: None
Playing Your Bigger Game
Early November is a time I assess the year. I think it happens very organically in this space of time. Seriously, who has time to redefine goals or plan out New Year's resolutions in any weekend after Veteran's Day? Sometimes I focus on the physical environment; the stuff: Replacing ruined carpeting, having newer shoes before we get rain, and more comfortable chairs (everywhere) – these are my simple needs. I want to meet my needs, right? Yet, we can all agree it is very easy to not put time into maintaining everyday comforts, because, well -- we're comfortable.

You heard me. It's complacency and the unconscious desire to let our brain impulses run their rutted existence. We don't even see the clutter, the needed repair, the squeak in the wheel after a while. Digital photographs are a miraculous tool, if you find ways to let them lovingly nudge you awake. And I've recently given thought to a plan for having photos of these everyday things, before and after, in order to stay grateful and motivated. And once I replace an item, the old can fully go! Self-help titles might tell me this is merely de-cluttering, but self-coaching for low-attention creatives, I prefer to call it.

Rick Tamlyn has recently released his book, Play Your Bigger Game published by Hay House. To be clear, I was sparked after reading the book to give myself a plan, like the small one I mention above. I didn't pick the title because I needed a bigger game, or did I?

I'm reviewing it specifically with the BookNook community, as it is one of the newest releases. Know that the material it covers is the author's documentation of a popular workshop he and others provide as training at corporations, agencies, institutions and the like. With that in mind, I will honesty comment that this book may be more engaging as an audio book. I can hear the author's enthusiasm in his sharing. The structure of the book isn't faulty, I think I agree with the author's own early assessment that it is best to read the book through once fully and go back to read chapters as one develops their own "Bigger Game."

A collection of twelve chapters, plus many pages of endorsements and a lengthy afterword are definitely suited to people looking for motivation, selecting chapters to focus on as one begins a Bigger Game. Rick differentiates a Bigger Game from a life purpose. You're likely to create a good work, or many if you already know your purpose. So, I think, "the game" prepares you to define a meaningful path in which your purpose most often intersects.

I engaged as soon as he brought forth the most person-centered ideas some of his students developed. I was led to look up further information on the organizations one woman developed to better serve foster children [one, generationsofhope.org]. Although every story of every student he has impacted is likely very important to him, I sometimes found the process difficult to follow when punctuated continuously with success stories.

The book makes a big promise in its own tag line, "Nine minutes to learn, a lifetime to live." I can tell you it took me more than nine minutes to figure out -- but I was delighted to figure out on my own that the claim was "nine minutes" due to the model having 9 boxes (like a tic-tac-toe board). It asks you to step out of your comfort zone, tells you it's important to invest in yourself and your own ideas, good stuff ultimately.

This book would make an inspired gift if you are witness to a friend already on the cusp of stepping out in a big way with some creative idea. That empty-nester sister-in-law, or the still-at-home recent college grad, musician friend, or anyone looking to change careers, that type. When asked, I'm guilty of asking for gifts I will not budget for and invest in on my own. Is that a bad thing? In that small way, I still see myself as a child in accepting gifts. But, this year, I did make the step of asking for what I wanted, instead of simply deeming myself unworthy. You could be the compassionate person who sees a need in someone where this book's advice could be their nudge to that first step.

I acknowledge that I received this book free of charge from Hay House in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion.

You can purchase a copy of this October 2013 release, Play Your Bigger Game on the Hay House website and other retail sites.

I'm interested to know what folks think of the Twitter public offering announced this week. There's people who barely know what Twitter is thinking it's a grand investment. Would it be a bad pun to say I find Twitter to be a lark? My drive to write consistently in my blog since adding book reviews to my blog has also increased my desire to type in 140 character increments on Twitter, coincidence? You decide! Please feel free to comment, dear followers.

© Copyright 2013 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (UN: walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/797187