Short Play
        by Mason Santos   (levi@Writing.Com)
3-25-07                                                                                                    Levi Grudzinski
Period 1                                                                                                    Hon. English

         The setting is in the living room of my house.  The pet is my 5 year old Border Collie named Synder.  We have just entered the living room after Synder has been swimming in the lake.
Levi: Come on Synder, lets get you dried off.
Synder: What?
Levi: What?
Synder:  I said… what.  Hey, I said… what.  I said what I said what yes I finally did it isn’t it great?
Levi: No
Synder: No what?
Levi: Ok, what is going on?
Synder: Alright, just give me the benefit of the doubt ok?
Levi: Okaaaay.
Synder:  I have been absolutely dying to communicate with you and mom.  You see now that I can speak, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been intelligent during my life.  In fact I bet their is a lot of things that you would like to ask me. 
Levi: Yea?
Synder: Shoot.
Levi: Ok, what are you saying to other dogs when you bark out the car window?
Synder: Hey baby! what do you think?
Levi:  Does a dog wagging its tail really mean it’s happy?
Synder: No it’s what we do when we are working fiber through our system.  Come on I know Levi.  Ask some questions with some meaning.  Just in case this goes away.
Levi:  What do mean?
Synder:  I’m going to return to my previous statement: shoot.
Levi: Alright, why is it that if you are sleeping next to me or sitting on my lap, and I am petting you but then I stop, you go crazy and get very needy and clingy?
Synder:  Why would I want you to stop petting me?
Levi: You know theirs something deeper there, with a that look in your eye.  And you wanted me ask you something serious.
Synder: Alright, alright.  I came to our home when I was just four months old.  My previous owner, Maude was a very lovely old lady.  She would hold me every night before she went to bed like the baby I was, and still am.  During the snow I sat on her while she gently stroked my neck.  Just as I was falling asleep, the fingers that were running through my fur slowed, and then stopped.  Wanting her to start again, I rolled off her lap and looked in her face.  There was nothing in her eyes, and nothing in her.  I went up for adoption and you and mom finally adopted me two weeks later.  I don’t like the petting to stop, because I think of when it never came again.
Levi: Synder, I see.  I’ll pet you all you want.
Synder: Bark!                 




         
© Copyright 2007 Mason Santos (levi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.

This printed copy is for your personal use only. Reproduction of this work in any other form is not allowed and does violate its copyright.