*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1444360-Betrayed-Prolouge
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Fantasy · #1444360
The basis of this Novel is the struggle between Civilization and a Kingdom of Walking Dead
Betrayed

Moonlight danced on the ripples of the Estin River. The air was eerily still, unusual for this time of year. Shay Megar heard the sound of a twig crackle beneath his leather boot. His mind was too distracted to care how much noise he was making. Nightmares haunted him no matter how tired he was. Whenever he shut his eyes all he could see were the faces of dead friends. Lack of sleep, the pain of many slashes to his body, and the one deep cut of an axe to his right thigh made the trek to the city of Mingtnel slow and agonizing.

It had been three days since Corbin betrayed the Guild and still Shay could not believe his friend was a Bloodletter.  Stumbling over a broken tree branch Shay fell to his knees. His right leg throbbed where the traitor's axe had cut into his muscle.  As he looked down at the wound his hand came up to his cheek to brush away dried blood and dirt.  Realizing the blood quite possibly belonged to his familiar Kavick, a fit of anger over took him. He pounded the ground with bloody fists as if it was the cause of his frustration. 

He heard a loud scream, like that of an animal being torn apart. Gaining control over his senses, reality hit Shay in the chest like a hammer. Bloodless! Shay's heart began to pound in his chest They must have found a meal.

Shaking his head to clear his thoughts Shay remembered his objective.  I must gain control.  I cannot rest until I talk to Landis. Their deaths will not be in vain.

Shay propped himself up against a tree. How could I have let my self lose control!

Shay gritted his teeth, angry at how foolish he had become. I must be more careful.  It’s not safe; the Bloodless aren’t far behind.

His limp was getting worse; he began to wonder if he would ever see the Magi Tower again.  Don’t think. Just keep moving, one step then another.  I need to focus.  I need to reach the city.

The darkness was overcome by daylight as the sun began to crest over the horizon. Shay had been walking all night in a dazed trance of pain and regret. The sound of a bird's morning song startled him out of his methodical pace.

With the morning came a slight reprieve. Shay could see the city spires just over the tops of the trees, and he let out a quiet chuckle. Thank the spirits that the Bloodless are mindless abominations of the Bloodborn. Any novice could have tracked me last night. 

About two hundred feet from the north wall, in the dense forest, Shay looked upon the city. Leaning against a tall Oak, he started to remove his Ranger garb. He first removed his Shaded Cloak; its dark colors make the owner seem to be more a shadow then anything else.  Reluctantly Shay tucked The Mark of Nature inside his mud stained tunic.  It was in the shape of a wolf, his fallen familiar.  The mark was a link between the familiar and the magi.  This talisman is the first item a student of a Magi Tower receives after finishing the seven challenges of Wayward Forest.  The bond between a Magi and their guide is very strong.  Once lost a Magi can choose to link with another, but rarely does.  After donning his dirty brown travel cloak Shay continued toward the nearest gate.

Shay gazed toward the city, defiantly.  I should be greeted as a guest of honor, not hiding who I am.

Lack of companions and friendly banter reminded him of the sacrifice his friends had made and the danger he was still in.  I must talk to Landis; no one else can know I’ve survived.  Too much is at risk.  The wound in my leg is reminder enough that I can trust no one. 

Rubbing his hand over the blood soaked cloth Shay used as a bandage, his thoughts wandered to questions left unanswered.  Why would Corbin betray the guild?  More importantly what are the Bloodborn planning?  Corbin Mordikai has always been very ambitious, but to become a Bloodletter is a bit much even for him. 

Looking at a small flat rock with the shape of a skull engraved on its surface, Shay wished the guild had never heard of the rune whose power, if the ancient texts are correct, would enable the owner to control the Bloodless when correctly evoked. With the rune of death in my possession the entire valley of soulless will want my head. I need to hide my identity until I can figure out just how far the guild’s corruption extends.

Shay wrapped his dirty cloak tightly to conceal his weapons, and pulled the hood over his face. As he walked toward the city he attempted to blend in with the peasants heading to the market. Two guards with pikes were standing at the gate casually observing the flow of people into the city. A city constantly at struggle with the Bloodborn to the north, Mingtnel has a well-known reputation for being vigilant.  Despite scrutiny from the guards, Shay succeeded in acquiring entrance to the city.  He had a hard time with the thought that his current surroundings had remained so much the same, when it seemed that everything in his own life had changed completely overnight.

The cobblestone street was filled with merchants selling their wares, and urchins looking for easy prey.  Short, sturdy stone buildings were spaced out, more for defense than accessibility.  Finally coming upon the street he was looking for, he turned quickly. The street was empty compared to the bustle of the main road.  Shay walked up to an old wooden sign with the image of a boatswain whistle just barely visible from years of exposure. First making sure he was not followed, Shay quickly slipped into the inn.

Shay made his way to the open table near the back of the smoky room. Off-duty guards and a few regulars played a game of dice in a dimly lit corner. 

A young girl approached Shay. "Hello Mister. What would you like?"

Shay looked up and tried to remember the last time he ate. His stomach started to growl, as he said, "I'll take a pint of ale and whatever food you have to offer."

The young lady looked at his dirty clothing and unkempt appearance. "I’m sorry but I’ll have to ask for the three coppers now." 

Before he could pull his coppers out of his money purse, a silver piece was tossed on the table.  "I'll pay for his meal. Don’t worry; just bring anything he asks for." A tall fellow pulled back his hood to reveal pointed ears and silver eyes; he quickly sat down across from Shay.
 
Shay started to relax "Landis, I knew you would make it." as he reached over the table to greet his friend, he could see Landis was worried about something.

Landis looked around as if expecting someone to enter the inn any moment.  "Where are the others?"

Looking into Shays eyes, Landis did not need the answer.  "Never mind, don’t answer me now.  We can talk upstairs.  It seems we both have bad news to share." 

The serving girl put a crude plate in front of Shay. She looked down at the blood-soaked cloth used as a bandage on his leg and was about to say something when the dice players called for more ale. She looked once more over her shoulder at the two strangers as she hurried over to the other table. 

After a few bites into his meat pie Shay looked up at his friend and said, "Bad news you say, what more could have gone wrong?"

Taking a swig of ale Shay started to feel the effects of the long trek through the Bloodless infested woods. “I think we should head up to your room, food no longer seems appealing.”

Walking up the stairs to the room was measured and painful.  At the end of the hallway they turned into a small, dark room of which had no windows. Landis lit a candle and stood in the southwest corner of the square space while Shay painfully sat down on the bed, which centered along the north wall. 

Landis could tell he needed time to sort out his thoughts, so he began to speak. "Shay, Aston has put a price on your head as well as the rest of the expedition."

Shay’s leg began to throb as he glared at his friend "WHAT! Why would he do that?" he pressed down on the wound hoping the pressure would relieve some pain.

"Do you remember Cawdel Lok?" Landis replied.

Shay took a deep breath as he tried to remember what he knew about Cawdel. "If I remember correctly he’s The Guild Treasurer."

Landis nodded. "Yes, he used to be in charge of the finances. When Aston became The Bearer of Marks he appointed Cawdel as his advisor."

Adjusting his leg on the bed Shay felt as if the world had gone crazy. "What does that have to do with Aston putting a price on my head?"

Putting both his hands over his leg and pressing harder Shay’s vision started to get foggy. Bracing himself against the bed he tried to steady his breathing.

Having placed the candle on a stool Landis moved to his friend’s side. "You look pretty bad, you need to see a Shaman. Here, let me see if I can stop the bleeding." Shay moved his hands so his friend could get a better look at the wound.

As Landis began to remove the makeshift bandage, Shay could feel intense pain shooting up his body. He was struggling to understand what his friend was saying "I'm not sure but I presume Cawdel is a Bloodletter. Aston listens to him and well, I don’t think it’s safe for you to return to the tower."

Shay felt as if he was going to collapse. He was oblivious to the fact that his friend had called forth his familiar. A misty outline of a hawk could be seen perched on Landis’ extended arm. As the hawk’s form began to illuminate slightly, Shay became noticeably drowsy.

The loss of blood from his leg made his mind sluggish, and he was unable to utter any words to stop his friend from putting him to sleep. No Landis. I can’t sleep. Not yet. Not yet.

Landis placed Shay's sword and backpack against the wall next to his own. Shay was fast asleep; too exhausted from the loss of blood and the incantation his friend had cast to stay awake.
© Copyright 2008 Fancybrew (iyce at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1444360-Betrayed-Prolouge