Concrete, abstract/metaphors, similes
        by Rixfarmgirl   (rixfarmgirl@Writing.Com)
Question 1: {/b} The first two sentences in a short, short story:

Baby Meghan needed a serious operation. James was broke and desperate.

James and Martha Smith’s six-week-old baby Meghan need a serious operation. She would require extensive surgery to repair a hole in her heart which was not closing on its own. James had a bank account with a minus balance. The hospital wanted $1000 just to admit Meghan. The doctor said that Meghan would not live another week without the surgery. James was as desperate as a Grizzly caught in a bear-trapped.

Question 2: {/b} I have always had and understanding of the two words. However, being able to apply them is not always easy. I think that I sometimes use concreteness without being conscious of it. I hope that I will be more aware. At least at the editing step, I will make an effort to just look for abstractness that needs clarification.

Question 3: {/b} I don’t think I use very many metaphor or similes. I think I try to show descriptively without comparisons or instead of telling with a single word. The clichés I use and I know I should not. So, I will be searching my work for these little devils when the term has ended and will be trying to create my own clichés.

I have a place in my Writer’s Notebook where I write down expressions I find in out and about that I especially like. Some examples are:
 As bald as an elbow;
 shovel myself out of debt;
 your Ken can kiss my Barbie;
 His face even has muscles;
 living in the tyranny of the moment;
 pockets of intelligence;
 she was on the cute side of pretty;
 the door yawned open;
 I shoveled myself out of bed.



© Copyright 2009 Rixfarmgirl (rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.

This printed copy is for your personal use only. Reproduction of this work in any other form is not allowed and does violate its copyright.