*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/731276-An-Essay-On-Depression
Rated: E · Essay · Educational · #731276
An essay I wrote for my Biology class.
Depression is not only a state of being sad, it is a disease that conquers the ability to feel emotion, whether good or bad, whatsoever. Depression not only involves the mind, it also involves the body and thoughts. In different cultures some complain of excessive headaches and extreme pain and this is identified as depression, moderate or otherwise. This disease can be passed down through genes or can follow external events or can be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Depression affects twenty percent of all Americans, some without even knowing it, at sometime during their lives. Depression is not a disease that only influences males or children of the age three to eleven. Every human being is prone to depression. Although women are three times more likely to become depressed than men, men are five times more likely to commit suicide when depressed than women. Some think that women have a less pleasing social role and their hormones make them more susceptible to depression. Men are more subject to keep their emotions bottled up inside of them because of their role in society and that they do not have the society’s permission to express their feelings openly.

Major Depression is the most severe case of depression that there is. The symptoms for Major Depression are just like any other type of depression. To be Majorly Depressed you do not have to have been hospitalized or medicated. Lots of people get depression confused with extreme sadness. Depression is not a term just to be thrown around; it is a severe state of being.

Dysthymic Depression is a low level of depression that lasts up to at least two years and in most cases longer. When one is diagnosed with Dysthymic Depression they are very resistant to treatment. Although Dysthymic Depression’s symptoms are not as severe as Major Depression’s symptoms, they are still important. Dysthymics will usually undergo a Major Depression episode sometime during their dysthymic period.

Bipolar Depression, also known as, Manic Depression, is yet another type of Depression. This type has very different symptoms than that of Major Depression or Dysthymia. The symptoms of Bipolar Disorder are having both very high and very low mood swings. When one has Manic Depression one day they could be extremely happy and the next in a very severe depressive mood. This change in mood can happen over hours or over a period of time.

Although all age groups are open to depression, teenagers are the most common to be heard of being affected by the disease. This is probably because of peer pressure and the changes in their life. Although the rate of suicide as a whole has decreased in the past twenty five years, the fixed amount of suicide from those between fifteen and nineteen has sky rocketed and quadrupled. The number of deaths due to suicide each year is roughly the same number of deaths from AIDS.

Depression’s cost to the United States economy every year is estimated at forty-four billion dollars. This disease is second only to cancer on the impact of our society. By itself depression can cause extreme sadness, anxiety, insomnia and even thoughts of suicide. And yet, we don’t have a big organization to help the people who suffer from it. There is no “Depression Society” or “American Depressed Associated.” Why is this? Why don’t the people of the United States put something together to support and guide the people who are suffering from depression?

One great risk for becoming depressed is if you smoke. Some scientists hold to believe that smoking may be linked to Depression. Tobacco smoke kills off an enzyme that is responsible for breaking down a nerve cell chemical that activates pleasure seeking behavior. So smokers have a high count of this nerve cell chemical and a very low count of the enzyme, which in turn may make them want to smoke even more. Although some scientists argue the facts about homosexuality, homosexuals also have a bigger risk of being depressed. Homosexuals are prone to be teased and made fun of and therefore they don’t have as many friends and can’t talk about their problems. This may also be linked to depression.

Genes also have a lot to do with Depression. While studying twins, scientists have found that there is a powerful genetic influence in depression. Identical twins are three times as possible to have depression than fraternal twins raised in the same environment. This is because fraternal twins only have around fifty percent of the same genes in common. Additionally, identical twins are five times more likely to have bipolar disorder. This suggests that depression and bipolar disorder can be inherited. Even if twins are adopted they still have the vulnerability to become depressed.

Abnormal activity in the brain may also be influenced by the genes. Research shows that neurotransmitters help in regulating moods and emotions. People who are depressed have a lower than normal count of these neurotransmitters involved with depression. Antidepressants can solve this problem by producing more of these neurotransmitters associated with depression. An imbalance of hormones can also be connected to depression. When having too high of count of a hormone related to stress, depression may occur.

Sigmund Freud believed that a person’s oblivious anger over a loss weakened the “ego,” which resulted in self hate and self injurious behavior. Aaron Beck steered in a different way. He believed that depressives looked at everything in a negative light and blamed themselves for everything that went wrong. This negative thinking made situations appear much worse than held true and raised the chance of depression. Martin Seligman, an American psychologist, thought that depression came from “learned helplessness,” an idea that one cannot control the effect of happenings. All of these theories may hold true in some cases.

There are many symptoms of depression. Sadness and loss of satisfaction in things once enjoyed are probably the most known symptoms. But some symptoms are sometimes overlooked. Guilt is one symptom that coincides with depression immensely. When feelings of guilt are put on a person they lose what hope they once had. They blame themselves for things that they are not accountable for and have extreme feelings of hopelessness. Other symptoms overlooked are insomnia and loss of appetite. Not getting enough sleep may be linked to stress and guilt. Stress is another great factor in depression. Stressful events or experiences can stimulate depression in people who are predetermined to the disorder.

Although depression is not effortless to overcome there is treatment for it. Seventy percent of those who have depression are responsive to antidepressants. There are many types of antidepressants ranging from Monoamine Oxidase (MAO) Inhibitors (the enzyme that breaks down the nerve cell chemical) to Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (which the medicines Prozac and Zoloft are under). When taking antidepressants it is highly recommended to see a counselor or psychologist at the same time. This is so the psychiatrist who prescribes the medication knows if they are improving and if the medicine is beneficial to them.

If medication does not work there is also another way to overcome depression, which is electroconvulsive therapy. In this therapy a low voltage current is moved through the brain for one to two seconds at a time to produce a controlled seizure. Although electroconvulsive therapy can be dangerous and cause memory loss or disorientation is proves to help those in need of it.

Sometimes depression can be avoided all together. Having a good home life and a high self-esteem would be primary for people not to be depressed. Although in some cases you are predisposition to have depression, little things do help. Talking about your problems and not bottling them up helps immensely to avoid emotional breakdowns and blowups. Avoiding extreme “stressers,” like putting yourself in a situation you cannot get out of, also helps. Avoidance of cigarettes and alcohol also helps with staying healthy and happy.

Depression is not a matter to take lightly. It is not something to dismiss regularly, but to take to heart and find help. Hundreds of people commit suicide each day because of depression. If you are or know someone who is depressed get help. Do not hold it in forever, for you may be liable to do the same thing.
© Copyright 2003 Elizebeth (elizebeth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/731276-An-Essay-On-Depression