*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1000174-Take-the-time-to-listen
Rated: 18+ · Book · Comedy · #2161749
Just shooting the poop with Lori
#1000174 added December 13, 2020 at 5:00pm
Restrictions: None
Take the time to listen
While caring for a dementia patient, I was given quite a sweet surprise. In the report i received, I was told that the man was non-verbal and alert x 0. At one point during the night his cardiac monitor came off and looked fuzzy on my screen ( which no nurse likes to see) , so I gowned up to see what was happening. I entered the room with him staring at me and a bit of a smile on his face. I said, " Mr. so and so, are you playing a trick on me?" His smile got bigger. I said, " I know all of these wires are a pain, but you have managed to tie yourself in knots. Let's see if we can fix this." HE SAID, "Yeah, Good idea," I got him all straightened out, washed his face, gave him some water, turned him and fluffed the pillows around him all the while having a conversation about the weather, his care, family members I had met, and just general topics of interest. The entire time he followed me with his eyes and occasionally lifted his lips in a smile.As I asked questions, he would say yes and no in response. I spent forty five minutes in his room doing what I love best, finding the human connection and making a difference. This is not the first time I have been told that patients can't talk. Sadly, it has happened many times through the years, but it might just be that you need to invest in listening to hear the quiet of their voices.

© Copyright 2020 L.A. Grawitch (UN: lgrawitch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
L.A. Grawitch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1000174-Take-the-time-to-listen