*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1003605-Immigrant-Song
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1003605 added February 4, 2021 at 12:05am
Restrictions: None
Immigrant Song
Entry #1 of 8 for "Journalistic Intentions [18+]

*VinylB* Immigrant Song


Ready for some music theory?

No? Well, too bad.  

Now, look, I'm not entirely ignorant of music theory, but some of the shit in the video at that link is way beyond me, kind of like how I have some knowledge of physics but then they start talking about quantum this and dark matter that and my brain shuts off.

The analysis that guy goes through is the musical equivalent of literary analysis. And as with literary analysis, I think they often read into the art things that the artist didn't consciously intend. "Why did you play that particular note at that time?" One might expect the musician to launch into a detailed explanation of harmonics or dissonance or setting up a musical resolution or some shit, but chances are they just go, "Well, it sounded right."

Making it sound right is the musician's job. Explaining why it sounds right is best left to theorists.

As a writer, I've always been more focused on the lyrics than the music. As powerful as the tune is, I have to admit I dismissed it for a long time because, come on, enunciate, Plant. But of course when the internet came along, I was finally able to decipher the more obscured words. Also, apparently, "Waa-aa-aaaaaaaaa-AHH! is a word. That's an official Robert Plant lyric right there.

Probably the most awesome use of the song in its 50-year history (don't you feel old now?) was in Thor:Ragnarok, and the decision to use it not once but twice in the same movie, for whatever reason (I can no more analyze movies than I can music) just works.

This is how you choreograph a fight scene to battle music.   Few musical selections have fit the tone of a scene, or an entire movie, so well.

Of course, no discussion of Immigrant Song would be complete without the inclusion of this seminal music video:



As someone notes in the comments (yes, I ventured into that swamp): "The internet peaked when this was originally posted. It's been downhill ever since."

*StarB* *StarB* *StarB*

Mini-Contest results!


Seven responses, all relevant to the question. As I noted, I'm just picking one at random, but I appreciated all of the comments.

The Virtual Dice returned a 4, so the Merit Badge goes to... (drumroll) (Hey stop with the bass line, I said drumroll)... Graham Muad'dib !

We'll do this again soon.

© Copyright 2021 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1003605-Immigrant-Song