*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
15
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1004241-Love-is-the-Cure
by Ned
Rated: 13+ · Book · Entertainment · #2199980
Thoughts destined to be washed away by the tides of life.
#1004241 added February 11, 2021 at 3:36pm
Restrictions: None
Love is the Cure
This week’s media prompt is a video of Lovesong by The Cure.



I had never heard this song before, so I spent a little time researching and reading the lyrics. It’s always a challenge to read lyrics because they are usually repetitive and less complex poetically as they rely on the music to bring another level to their meaning. I was surprised that the music was slow and sad, while the lyrics proclaim the good things that love was doing for him. Then I learned that band member Robert Smith had written the song as a gift to his wife for their wedding. That put another angle on it, and the serious nature of the music made more sense.

I don’t suppose anything has inspired so much poetry as love. When we are in love, we desire to express it, we have to let all these overwhelming emotions out before we burst. Some love poems are elegant such as How do I love thee, let me count the ways… (Elizabeth Barrett Browning). Some attempt to convey the inexpressible as in e.e. cummings’ somewhere i have never travelled which uses unique and deeply moving metaphor. But the teenager who is experiencing a first crush is every bit as sincere in their poetic declarations, even if they lack skill at expressing them.

I have written love poetry and even more amazing is that poems of love have been written to and for me. Each poem attempts to express love in terms as beautiful as love feels. It’s not easy and we are not all equally adept at poetry as the Brownings, Byron, cummings, Shakespeare, etc. But there is no one who would not appreciate the sincere pleadings of a heart, however conveyed, especially as we approach Valentine’s Day.

Have you attempted romantic poetry or given a poem to your beloved? Something crafted from true feeling can easily outshine any gift of flowers or candy.

I am including links to some poems of mine that deal with romance and its complications.

Mature Love
 
STATIC
Young Love  (E)
Youth and love are wasted on the young
#2206972 by Ned


Secure Love
 
STATIC
Re Awakenings  (E)
Free verse exploration of poetry, romance and the neurological consequences thereof.
#2199026 by Ned


Nostalgic Love
 
STATIC
Homage to Past Love  (13+)
24 syllable poetry
#2200374 by Ned


Paranormal Love
Obsession  (18+)
Love is for the living, beyond the grave is obsession
#2235454 by Ned


and...

Disappointing Love
"Complimentary Closing


Whatever kind of love you have or wish for, I hope everyone has a happy Valentine's Day. If nothing else, it's a good excuse to eat chocolate.

© Copyright 2021 Ned (UN: nordicnoir at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ned has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1004241-Love-is-the-Cure