*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
15
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1004736-Hobby-Horsing-Around
by Ned
Rated: 13+ · Book · Entertainment · #2199980
Thoughts destined to be washed away by the tides of life.
#1004736 added February 18, 2021 at 10:18am
Restrictions: None
Hobby Horsing Around
In my social media platforms, there are several places where I belong to various craft groups. One of the knitting groups has a resident "expert". She has no official title in the group, she's not a founder or anything. But she likes to let everyone know that she's a master knitter and if anyone posts a question, she is quick to point out what they have done wrong and how they might fix it. Sometimes this is helpful advice and earns her much praise and admiration. But she often instructs without being asked and honestly, I rarely see any projects she has been knitting. Also, in a group where many are beginners, it isn't nice to critique someone's first projects from the point of view of the seasoned knitter. Sometimes, all anyone needs is kindness and encouragement. The lesson in the finer points can come later.

Also, sometimes I don't really care if I cut corners or if I wing it and create something that is different. I know there are others who feel the same way. In these cases, I am just sharing, not looking for professional critiques. I wonder why no one wants to just have fun and a little community?

I guess being the unofficial expert gives this person a great deal of personal satisfaction, perhaps it makes her feel needed and special. And if I ask a question, I am grateful for an answer from someone with knowledge. But if I don't ask, maybe I just want to say "look at what I did!" and leave it at that.

I am glad I am not an expert at anything. I think hobbies are more enjoyable if you don't get too anal about them.

© Copyright 2021 Ned (UN: nordicnoir at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ned has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1004736-Hobby-Horsing-Around