*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1004877
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Seuzz
Rated: GC · Book · Occult · #2183311
A high school student finds a grimoire that shows how to make magical disguises.
#1004877 added February 21, 2021 at 1:01pm
Restrictions: None
A Day as Kendra Saunders
Previously: "Derp with a Side of Donuts

You have cheerleading practice first period, which is good, because that gets it out of the way. It is the worst class of the day, and far away Kendra's least favorite.

Which is a funny thing to say, considering that cheerleading is just about the only activity at school that really keeps her engaged. (Well, that and the gossip.) She dreamed very early of being a cheerleader, and worked hard at her gymnastics all through elementary school and middle school so she would be prepared. It almost destroyed her will to continue living when her breasts came in, and the rest of her figure developed, and she discovered that she was never going to have the plump curves that she wanted. It was worse when she found that all the other girls who were vying for a place on the ultra-exclusive Westside cheerleading squad were all perfectly endowed in those departments.

So Kendra hitched her star to Chelsea Cooper, who had exactly the right shape, into which she also poured a ruthlessness that quite took Kendra's breath away. One by one Chelsea's rivals dropped away, felled by mysterious accidents at inopportune moments, or by social disasters that left them unable to face their peers, until only one girl stood between Chelsea and the squad captaincy that Chelsea lusted for.

Chelsea got the position, and Kendra got onto the squad.

And she found that being on the squad was like swimming in a scummy lake that was a playground for water moccasins.

And Chelsea is in a particularly foul mood this morning for some reason, and her mood isn't improved by the fact that her best friend, Maria Vasquez, has failed to show up to class. At least she is taking it out on everyone but you.

"Yumi, I keep you on this team only because you're the perfect height for the capstone of our pyramids! If you can't get your ass to the top I'm gonna talk to Coach Tesla about firing you! I saw that look you gave me, Lin! Five laps! And if the Bobbsey brats over there—I'm talking to you Eva and Jess!—don't stop mumbling to themselves, they'll take the laps with you!" She puts her face into her hands and whimpers.

So first period is really no fun, and not even the two visits into the girls' changing room, where you can surreptitiously ogle the naked cheerleaders at their lockers and in the showers, can make up for it.

* * * * *

The rest of the morning is better, though you have to spend second period (Interior Design) with Chelsea and third period (Parenting) with Gloria Rea. Kendra loathes the sight of Gloria (and the feeling is mutual) but she and Kendra are Chelsea's two prime suck ups, who she depends upon to feed her a steady supply of poisonous gossip. You congratulate yourself that you can feed Chelsea the tidbit of seeing Shawn and Ryan at the donut shop, and how much trouble they knew they'd be in with the basketball squad's captain, who is Chelsea's boyfriend, but she turns it back on you with a snarl: "What were you doing at a donut shop, Kendra? You're no good to anyone if you get fat!" You keep your mouth shut and your face down during fourth period lunch, where you have to sit with Chelsea and Gloria both, along with most of the rest of the cheerleading and basketball squads, at the alpha table in the cafeteria. Once, you might have dreamed of sitting here. Now, you'd like nothing better than to crawl away and hide in that ratty old portable.

The day climaxes in eighth period, which is a study hall you share with Chelsea and Gloria, and which you take in a table in the very center of the school library. You all ostentatiously spread out books and notebooks and paper, but the hour is spent sharing and talking over the malicious little stories and whispers that you and Gloria have been able to pick up. You haven't been able to pick much up, though. But to your relief, neither has Gloria. It leaves Chelsea in a deep funk.

"Did you ever find out what happened to Maria this morning?" you cautiously ask her as she slumps in her chair with arms folded and eyes burning.

Chelsea's golden curls seem to weave and waver, like living snakes, as her face splits into a rictus of anger. "She says she's taking a spa day!" she spits. "Can you believe that shit?"

You and Gloria can't help sharing a glance. Gloria says, "You mean she's actually skipping school so she can go to a—?"

"No! Don't be a ninnyhammer! It's her way of saying, 'Fuck you, Chelsea'!" She rubs her eye and sighs. To your amazement, it looks like she's going to start crying.

Before you can react, your phone goes off with a ding. It's a text from Meghan Farris, who Kendra has been cultivating as a source for a few weeks now. (Meghan so badly wants to be part of the in crowd, and Kendra has been stringing her along with a lot of cheap flattery while joining Chelsea in laughing at her behind her back.) You blink at it, and your mouth falls open.

Instinct—and a desire to get away from Chelsea—overcomes you, and you scoop your things into your bag. "Where are you going?" Chelsea demands as you stand up.

"Gotta go see someone," you tell her. "I'll—"

"Kendra! Come back here!" Chelsea shrills.

"I'll be back in ten minutes!" you shout over your shoulder as you go. You can't help flinching a little, though. Chelsea and Gloria both look shocked at your sudden flight. But Gloria's expression turns smug even as you watch. She's going to try getting Chelsea really mad at me, you think. Well, we'll just see if she stays mad after I tell her—

* * * * *

The portables are your destination, and they're on the other side of the school. You probably should take the outside route, but then you'd be exposed to the sight of every teacher with a classroom in B and C wings. Not that they could stop you, but you'd rather not get spotted by so many people. Instead, you stick to the hallways until you emerge out the far end of C wing, even though the interior route leaves you vulnerable to being stopped and sent to the office for not having a hall pass.

Once outside, you drop your bag and lean against the corner of the wing, and while pretending to gaze off toward the horizon you study the little group sitting out front of the portables.

It's the usual crowd, but in an unusual arrangement. By the backs you recognize them: Adrian Semple, with his dirty mop of curly hair that hangs in faux-dreadlocks to his shoulders. Perry Small, whose pale blonde hair sticks out in every direction, like he woke with the worst case of bed head, then accidentally jammed his fingers into an electrical socket. Spencer Osbourne, in his comically oversized black windbreaker and red shorts. Marc Garner, in his shiny crimson-and-gold soccer jersey and gel-spiked hair.

But instead of lazing on the grass and passing a blunt around, they are on their feet, and are pushing someone deep into the horseshoe-shaped well formed by the enclosing arms of the portables. You can just make out the bobbing head of the kid they're assaulting, but you know who it is from Meghan's text.

omg marc n guys r fighting w justin

You glance down the side of C wing. Meghan must have a class on this side of the building, if she has spotted the fight. Why a teacher hasn't, you don't know why. But it's the math wing, so maybe they're all too busy solving for x or some shit like that.

But hoarse shouts and curses are floating up from the fight, and someone is bound to notice soon. You hesitate, wondering whether to run over and insert yourself. Not that you could break up the fight physically. But the sight and presence of a cheerleader, you can't help flattering yourself, might—

Oh, but then it's suddenly too late. One of the burly Ag teachers come trudging out of the nearby Agricultural Annex, and stalks over to the fighters. It's Mr. Barrientos, who used to be the wrestling coach, and with a few hoarse shouts of his own he forces the boys to part. After some shouting, he points to the main building, and with flushed faces and hanging heads, the five boys come stalking your way. They break into two groups, though, with Adrian and Marc marching in your direction, while Justin, Spencer and Perry break away to head toward the doors that lead into B wing.

You better hurry, if you're going to figure out who you want to talk to.

On the one hand, here comes a chance to talk to Justin, to confront him if not with an accusation then at least with your presence. He must know what happened to you and Kendra, and now's your chance to see how he will react.

But it was Marc's name in Meghan's text that pulled you outside to see the fight. Marc is the captain of the soccer team, but he came to school yesterday too stoned to play—a useful bit of gossip that Chelsea could use with malicious effect against his sisters, Eva and Jessica, who are two of her enemies on the cheerleading squad. Marc getting into a fight, and maybe getting detention or even suspended from school, would be even juicier. It would really get you in good with Chelsea if you could report that.

It's not until Marc is significantly closer to you do you notice that he's wearing a leg brace over his blue jeans. It extends from his hip to his ankle on his left leg.

That is something new in the last twelve hours.

Next: "Gallons of Gossip

© Copyright 2021 Seuzz (UN: seuzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1004877