*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1005260-Cold-and-cloudy--no-news
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1311011
A terminal for all blogs coming in or going out. A view into my life.
#1005260 added February 25, 2021 at 9:18pm
Restrictions: None
Cold and cloudy ... no news
24 degrees and cloudy. It's after 10 a.m. and I haven't finished my coffee.

Interesting how the news has shifted. There's still plenty going on but without one individual on center stage, the news is almost normal.

Plus... although covid-19 is still a serious threat, and the vaccination rollout has been a disaster, the numbers are pointing towards relief.

Travel however... there have always been ways to get around restrictions but budget travelers like me can't afford a two week quarantine and any resulting fines. Wealthy? Fewer problems. But even for the wealthy, so many flight connections just aren't available.

2 p.m. and 33 degrees. I've had a couple coffees and a fish sandwich.

I have to be careful while eating. My teeth are bad now, much worse than one year ago. Also, an ache in the jaw. I need new teeth.

Today is the designated day that some writings must be finished.

Don't get me started! I should be writing instead of answering the QOTD.

What is the best way to train people to see the gradients in the world around them
instead of just a simplistic “this is good, that is wrong” view of the world?


I'm NOT an Absolutist.

As a traveler and a photographer I can assert that there are many shades of grey.

So why is this an issue? On/off, black/white, good/evil is simpler for many people. It's how they were raised. Certain religious and cultural groups are notorious in this regard, especially if they were taught that anything less than 100% perfection was unacceptable to their parents, family, community, even to God.

I agree that this was a factor on January 6th, Paul .

But how to overcome it? Same as how to instill it. Teach those around you as best you can, as bobturn notes. And start making a lasting change by teaching the children as Jaeyne of the Free Fab Five eloquently stated.

Yes, I believe in core spritual beliefs; however, as opinionated as I am, I'm not willing to play God.


What I didn't rant about was common black/white thinking found among specific religious cultural groups. I was raised among them. The only thing that kept them humble was their working-class status. They had no power other than to mock lesser human beings and to keep them out of the neighborhood. Recently, a certain someone understood that and manipulated their prejudices and fears stoking them to an angry resolve to act. So some did.

But even in war... little is black/white. There is always kindness, tolerance, empathy and a slew of other virtues at the very worse of times.

Just before the deadline.

STATIC
I wish to live before I die  (E)
You rummaged among the dead, discovered death. I breathe and yet you do not feel my breath
#2245229 by Kåre Enga in Udon Thani


I seek your forgiveness, your wrinkled skin,
glaucous grey eyes that can barely see me,
ears that ignore white lies, my rancid sighs.

3761

© Copyright 2021 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1005260-Cold-and-cloudy--no-news