*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1005764-Battle-of-Angels
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1005764 added March 4, 2021 at 12:01am
Restrictions: None
Battle of Angels
Entry #8 of 8 for "Journalistic Intentions [18+]

*Quill* Battle of Angels


One of the most amusing typos I see is when someone is trying to say "angel" and they end up saying "angle."

I mean, that cracks me right up. Every. Time.

"You're a real angle!"

"She's my guardian angle."

"My baby is such a little angle!"

I know I shouldn't make fun. But I do.

It's not like I'm trying to be obtuse, but I just think it's really acute thing to do. Though my reaction is just not right.

It doesn't help that there was historically a people called the Angles. They migrated from Jutland or some shit like that to an island off the north coast of Europe, where they eventually merged with the Saxons but still gave their name to part of the island: England, a shortening of Angle-land. Hell, in French it's still called Angleterre.

From what I hear, though, they were no angels, often at war, engaging in pointless (and sometimes worthwhile) battles, and eventually conquering more than half the land area of the globe, before finally backing off from a lot of that. But, you know, angels were no angels either; if you really look at the mythology surrounding them, those are some scary-ass motherfuckers. Not the fluffy haloed humanoids with wings that somehow made it into popular culture.

The Angles' language lives on, though. Nealy half the world still speaks it, to one degree or another. (Yes, to be clear, that's totally another "angle" pun.) But it's nothing like Enochian, the purported language of the angels. No, it's way easier to make puns in Angle-ish, and all too easy to mistake similarly-spelled words for each other.

But that's part of the joy of English, you know. I don't think I'd have nearly as much fun punning in another language. After all, when it comes to humor, that's my angle.

 ~

© Copyright 2021 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1005764-Battle-of-Angels