*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1007100-Armor-Of-God---Belt-Of-Truth
Rated: E · Book · Religious · #2245288
Bible studies
#1007100 added March 29, 2021 at 3:00pm
Restrictions: None
Armor Of God - Belt Of Truth
Description of belt of truth


Ephesians 6:14
Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

Today, I want to take a close look at having our loins girt about with truth.


Truth:
-Guides our decision making
-Is found in God's Word
-Is meant to be shared with others
-Is essential for preparing every day
-Frees us from the devil's lies
-Allows us to fight without being hindered
-Sanctifies and purifies

The very nature of God is truth. Truth is sincerity of the heart. It leads us to open up to God. It keeps our motivations pure and keeps us void of sin towards other people.


Psalm 145:17-19
17 The Lord is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works.
18 The Lord is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth.
19 He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them.

Definition of Gird/girt
verb (used with object), gird·ed or girt, gird·ing.
to encircle or bind with a belt or band.
to surround; enclose; hem in.
to prepare (oneself) for action:
He girded himself for the trial ahead.
to provide, equip, or invest, as with power or strength.

You will love this illustration I found. I thought this was quite interesting and informative. https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-gird-up-your-loins-an-illustrated...

To gird yourself in truth, means to be ready for your battles with a foundation of truth.

“A man whose strength is in his attachment to truth, in other words is faithful, is spoken of as having his loins girt about with truth (Ephesians 6:14). Thus, the Messiah is described:

"Righteousness shall be the girdle of his waist, and faithfulness the girdle of his loins" (Isaiah 11:5). One of the most primitive modes of clothing consisted of a fleece tied around the loins (Job 31:20).”


The above in italics, is take from this article I found on the internet. It also has some interesting information.
https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/loins/

Ladies, you will love this article. I know I did. Men, this is also good for you to read too, but it explains what gird up your loins means for women and compares it to Proverbs 31:17. https://www.fruitfullyliving.com/gird-up-your-loins/#.YGCTSC08Kf0

Belt of Truth


The belt of truth is the first item in the armor of God mentioned, and lays a good foundation for the rest of the armor. How appropriate! We can only come to God through Jesus Christ because he is the way, the truth, and the life. In the life of a Christian, truth is very important. Without truth, where is the spirit of truth? Without the spirit of truth, what good is the rest of the armor?

What is a belt?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_(clothing)

This website mentions four uses of belts.
1. To hold up clothing
2. To carry objects, such as weapons or tools
3. To accentuate the waste/ a fashion accessory
4. For a Father's corporal punishment

“Gird up you loins” is similar to the phrase “Roll up your sleeves”. This would allow the Hebrew people to walk fast and have freedom of movement to work or fight. A belt or girdle would provide back support and support for the lower body during a long hard march. So a belt will help the believer in his walk and work.


Psalm 15:1-5
1 Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.
3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
4 In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the Lord. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.
5 He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

When I think of a belt being use to hold up clothing, and girding up the loins as explained above, I think of it as a covering. It keeps us covered, and hides our nakedness (sin). Truth can be exposing also. It depends on what role truth is playing in your life. Truth is a covering for those who trust in Christ for Salvation, but it exposes sin for those who despise God and does not believe in him.

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

The belt of truth in our armor carries the sheath for our sword. Truth is the foundation for the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God.

Psalm 119:41-44
41 Let thy mercies come also unto me, O Lord, even thy salvation, according to thy word.
42 So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word.
43 And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth; for I have hoped in thy judgments.
44 So shall I keep thy law continually for ever and ever.

Truth looks good. Truth is a much better look than a lie. Lies are like the cheap imitation accessories. Truth is like the more costly name brand accessories that are durable and last longer.

1 John 2:27
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

I like this last one. The belt is sometimes used as a farher’s corporal punishment. How many of us, especially us older generation, had our dad pull the belt out of his pants and spank us with it? I know my dad used his belt on me a few times. I learned to fear and respect the belt.

Psalm 25:4-5
4 Shew me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths.
5 Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.

How many times have you found yourself reading the Bible and a truth seems to jump out of the page and slap you in the face so to speak. Again, truth exposes sin. We are to have a reverential fear of God and His Word. It is interesting to think of God's Word as a belt (of truth) for correction. It is for correction, for our good, so we know we need to change our thoughts, attitudes, or behaviors.

The belt or girdle is the center piece of armor. It tied the clothes to a soldier’s body. It supported their body. It added a soundness to the uniform and held the sword in place.

We need to compare our actions and beliefs with the truths found in God's Word. We need to wrap ourselves in God's truth. We wrap ourselves in the nature and character of Jesus Christ.


Acts 17:11-12
11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
12 Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.

What should we know about truth?

1 John 2:21-22
21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.
22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

Truth is honesty and sincerity. It does not lie. Truth has no deceit in it. It does not pretend. Truth is sincerity of the heart.

1 John 3:18-19
18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

We should love honestly and in truth.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

We should worship God in the spirit of truth. God is a spirit.

John 4:23-24
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Truth sanctifies us. If you don't know what sanctification does for the Christian, here is the link to a good explanation. https://equip.sbts.edu/article/6-things-every-christian-needs-know-sanctificatio...

John 17:17-19
17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

How do you put on and wear the belt of truth?


John 8:31-32
31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

God supplies us with the belt of truth. We must choose to strap it on. We can't take a stand for Christ without doing it.

We strap on the belt of truth by:
-Getting into and staying grounded in God's Word.
-We put on the character of Christ.
-Be honest and sincere in everything we say and do.

The belt is considered a defensive piece of armor. There may be times when we get a crack in our belt. We should never try to patch it up ourselves or pretend it isn't there. We have to seek God's forgiveness and ask him to fix it.

We find our truth in God and His Word and are sanctified through the truth of Christ. We are justified through Christ’s blood. May we all be ready when Jesus comes back for us, and may we always be ready to stand on and fight for the truth of God's Word!


Jesus is my permanent anchor!
A signature for me to use

© Copyright 2021 Marvelous Friend (UN: pickmarvilla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Marvelous Friend has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1007100-Armor-Of-God---Belt-Of-Truth