*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1009269-Armor-of-God---Sword-of-the-Spirit
Rated: E · Book · Religious · #2245288
Bible studies
#1009269 added May 4, 2021 at 11:02pm
Restrictions: None
Armor of God - Sword of the Spirit
Dear Heavenly Father,
Teach us today how to use our sword effectively. Thank you for providing the perfect sword for us. Thank you for testing and building our faith. I rejoice in you for providing us with your armor to get us through those difficult times. You didn't leave us helpless, and you never leave our side.
In Jesus’s name,
Amen


Suggested Scripture Memory Plan

⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️
Armor of God - Sword of the Spirit


Description of the sword of the Spirit


Ephesians 6:17
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:


⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️


God the Father provides every piece of the armor, but the Holy Spirit is the one who gives us the power and skill to use it.

The Roman Soldier’s Sword


The Roman soldier carried a short sword used in close range. It was pointed with a double edge. The blade was approximately 21 inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide near the hilt. The sword weighed only around 2 pounds. It was designed to be used with one hand while the other hand held the shield. This weapon could be deadly when used by a trained and skilled swordsman. It was the main weapon in the soldier’s arsenal.

Gladiators would often use these swords. The word gladiator comes from the Latin word gladius meaning swordsman. The Roman gladius sword became known as the sword that conquered the world. The sharpened point could pierce through even heavy metal armor. The sword was good for cutting and thrusting at the enemy.

The soldier was skillfully trained in the sword's use. The younger soldiers in training would learn how to use their swords from the older more experienced soldiers. Young soldiers would train by first learning to use swords made of wood and shields of wicker. These were usually heavier than the real weapons. They believed if they learned to use the heavier items effectively, then they would have an advantage when using the less heavy real thing. The young soldiers would be paired against one another for further training in combat techniques and moves.

The sword (of the Spirit) is kept on the belt (of truth) when not in use. Therefore when the sword (of the Spirit) is drawn for use, it is taken from the belt (of truth).

Personal Testimony


This subject really hits home for me personally. I can not stress enough the importance of spending time daily in the Word of God. It has made a huge difference in my own life. I live a very different life now that I have a daily time with the Lord.

Let me tell you about my own experience. As a preacher’s kid, I was forced to listen regularly to Bible reading, teaching, and preaching. I had to hear it so much, I felt like it was being crammed down my throat to a point of choking on it. It was the way in which it was presented to me. Most of the time, I felt like I was being talked down to or condemned by it. I felt like I could never be good enough to please my parents, little alone God. We had a nightly family Bible reading. Rarely did I get to be involved and read it too. I wasn't exactly taught to have daily personal time with God, and I didn't. I was taught that Bible study was optional, but recommended. At least I was taught how to do it.

As a result, I hated the Bible and felt no pleasure in it. It was mundane and boring. It was a chore to go to church and read the Bible. I struggled with deep depression and anger at God. If being a Christian was so great, why was I so miserable? Where was all this joy of Salvation and peace that passes all understanding that was promised in the Bible? I had a knowledge of the Bible. I knew the stories. I was familiar with many promises. I had seen healing with my own eyes and had felt God's presence before. I felt so empty and defeated.

In fact, I was defeated. I was doing what was right in my own eyes while my life was still full of sin. I would have inappropriate relationships while telling myself that God understood why I was in the position I was in and made excuses for myself. Example: God knew I had been sexually abused as a teenager by a family member, and I wasn't a virgin anyway. That choice had been taken away from me.

In the eyes of man, that excuse would seem at least somewhat reasonable. However, that kind of excuse doesn't hold water with God. Yes, God is understanding, but he is also Holy. Two wrongs don't make a right. I was deceived and living in sin.

It was not until I made the personal decision to read my Bible daily for myself and pray daily that my life and attitudes began to change. I made the decision that even if God condemned me to Hell, I was going to worship and serve him.

I was in a same-sex relationship at the time. Men had abused me. I was angry and bitter. I wanted nothing to do with them. I could not stand the thought of ever being with a man romantically ever again. This took some time and God's amazing grace to change, but that's an entirely different story.

At first, I had a hard time. I would have my quiet time one day and miss three. I finally figured out a good routine for myself. I now have my quiet time right before bed. This way, I can give everything to God before I go to bed and I sleep better at night. This way I am not rushed most of the time and I can take my time with it.

The changes did not happen overnight. They came gradually. I started out by giving up the sins I felt I could give up at the time. I started working on my language and what I would watch on T.V. And what I would read. I started working towards at least watching church online since I wasn't attending.

Fast forward a few years, notice I said years, and I am no longer in an inappropriate relationship. I attend church and read my Bible and pray daily. I have learned to use my Sword of the Spirit. I use it in prayer, praise, avoiding temptation, and the list goes on. I have come to enjoy reading, studying, and hearing the Word of God. I love God and I love his word. My life has changed! Praise God!

Founded upon truth


Did you notice above that the sword of the Spirit is kept on the belt of truth. It has to be drawn from the truth. The sword of the Spirit is the word of God. The Bible is founded upon truth. It is the Word of God given to us by the Holy Spirit for a specific purpose. The truth of God's Word makes everything meaningful and eternal.

God's Word is truth and has the power to set us free. John 8:31-32 applies to knowing the truth of God's Word. When we hold fast to these truths, we can be freed from the things we are bound by.
John 8:31-32

This is a big thing for some people to swallow. How do we know the Bible is true? I get it. I was once here too. I did some research for myself. I was full of anger for so many reasons. I had been abused. I had Scriptures twisted and used against me. Men wrote the Bible. God has inspired many writings besides the Bible. Yes, I questioned as you can see the authentication of the Bible.

For the sake of time, I will give a list of links that will provide some insight to this.

Link List For Bible Authenticity

Christian Swordsman Training

Just like the Roman soldiers had to train to be able to use their weapons effectively, we have to train to use our Bible effectively. Handling the Sword of the Spirit requires both skill and experience.
Hebrews 5:12-14
Isaiah 28:9-10

A skilled swordsman who has courageously engaged with the enemy and lived the fight another day knows his sword and how to use it. He studies. He practices. He sharpens his skills regularly long before the next battle takes place. This kind of skill level is a gradual process. It comes by reason of use.It takes time to become skilled in knowledge and the word of God until we are able to discern good and evil. We have to be familiar with the Bible and have our senses sharpened.

Imagine a man who has a sword on a shelf at home. He has heard other men talking about using their swords. He has seen someone fencing. He knows what it looks like. He decides he can fight an enemy with it. Surely it can't be that hard. It looks so easy when others do it. How well do you think he would do? This would be foolish.

How foolish for a person who has heard others talking about using their Bibles, has a copy of the Bible on his shelf at home, has described himself as a Christian for years, but has never learned to effectively fight with his sword in the service of his King Jesus! Ignorance, rather by accident or by choice, does not defeat the tempter. Error will not stop arguments. Assumptions do not do well in helping with tormenting trials. We will have no hope of living victorious if we do not arm ourselves with the truth.

Without the truth of God's Word, we will have to rely on ourself. We would be relying on our own wisdom and experience. We would be trusting in our own strength and understanding.

We must not use God's Word improperly during spiritual battles. When we use the sword for offense (evangelism) or defense (apologetics), we need to know everything we can about it. The more we dedicate ourselves to studying and living according to the Bible, the better we will be at handling the sword on the battlefield. Just as the Roman soldier could not survive on the battlefield without training, neither can we.

We Are Not Alone In Battle


The sword is given to us by God the Father, the same as the other pieces of armor. Some people like to think it was given to us by the Holy Spirit since it is called the sword of the Spirit. The Holy Spirit is what gives the sword its power and effectiveness. He is the one that sharpens the sword to give it a cutting edge. The Holy Spirit will bring to our memory for use the word of God when we need it at a particular time and place.
2 Timothy 3:16-17

The Holy Spirit is the one who teaches us how to fight and everything we need to know about our sword. With the sword of the Spirit, the Holy Spirit is our helper. We don't have to fight alone.
John 14:26

The Holy Spirit is the spirit of truth. The Holy Spirit and the Word of God go together. You can not have one without the other for them to be effective. Using the scriptures without the Holy Spirit has no power. Quoting Scripture alone does not defeat the enemy. Attempting to move in the power of the Holy Spirit without the Word of God has no authority. The sword of the Spirit is the power of the Holy Spirit combined with the authority of the word of God.
John 16:13-15

We are never alone in battle.
Romans 8:31

The battle belongs to the Lord.
1 Samuel 17:47

Every piece of the armor is a gift from God!


Getting Familiar With Your Sword


We walk by faith, not by sight. We can change our focus from our problems to the promises of God's Word.
2 Corinthians 5:7

You must desire to become knowledgable in God's Word.
Psalm 119:101-104

We get familiar with God's Word by meditating on it, reading it, hearing it, studying it, talking about it, and memorizing it. God's Word allows us to distinguish between right and wrong. We will struggle to fight the enemy if we lack knowledge in God's Word. We must seek the knowledge of God's Word and abide by it.
John 5:24

Reading, meditating on, and memorizing God's Word fortified and fills the mind with strongholds of truth and truthful thoughts.
Psalm 1:1-3

Hearing God's Word builds our faith in truth. Using the sword is releasing the faith we received from hearing God's Word. Faith that overcomes the world comes from hearing the word of God.
Romans 10:17
1 John 5:4-5

Studying God's Word frees our thoughts from bondage. It keeps us from shame, and It reveals truth.
2 Timothy 2:15

If you want to be able to speak God's Word, get it into your heart. If you are not speaking God's Word, what is in your heart? We have to examine ourselves, and ask God to fix the things that are wrong with us. Then we have to be willing to put in the work to get things done.
Luke 6:45
Joshua 1:8

Using Your Sword


Many Christians never unsheath their sword or use it in a spiritual battle. Just carrying a Bible around with you doesn't bring victory. We have to take it up and use it.

The sword can be used for offense or defense. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense. Offensive action preoccupies the opposition and its ability to directly cause harm. The sword is for defending ourself and to protect others. We are not to use it against one another for harm.

You must know what the scriptures say in order to use the Sword of the Spirit. We will not be able to use our sword effectively if we don't know what the scriptures say. How can we confess and proclaim the promises of God if we have no idea what they are?
Ephesians 5:19-20
Psalm 19:14
Colossians 4:6

We use the Word of God to discern thoughts and attitudes contrary to God's will. We use the sword to bring down our own attitudes and thoughts into captivity. We need to have certain attitudes in order to be a good swordsman. We need to hate evil. We need to love God's Word. We also need a continual desire to obey God's judgements and understand them.
Psalm 119:97-103

To effectively use the sword, we must read and get to know it. We must practice using it. Using it skilfully is having the word of truth brought into our hearts by the power of God, faith raised up to believe God Himself speaks to our heart, and being able to wield it in the strength of the Spirit and by faith power in living exercise to resist every thrust of Hell. We must read the word in its intended context. We must learn as much as we can about it to gain a good understanding of it.

We need to be ready to use the sword at all times. We need to be ready to give answers to difficult questions by engaging in God's Word daily. We must be ready to spread the Gospel with a good understanding of it.
1 Peter 3:15

We must ask God to reveal Himself through His Word. We grow closer to God and learn more about Him by spending time in His Word every day. We put on and take up every piece of the armor through regularly engaging in God's Word and through prayer.
1 Corinthians 2:10-15

Two Greek words


There are two Greek words for “word”. Logos refers to a spoken word of intelligence. Rhema refers to spoken or written sayings. Ephesians 6:17 and Hebrews 4:12 are good examples of this. The verse in Hebrews is referring to Jesus cutting into people's spirit and knowing them deeply (Logos). The verse in Ephesians refers to weilding the sword as a weapon (Rhema).
Hevrews 4:12
Ephesians 6:17

Ephesians 5:26, Romans 10:8 and 17, and 1 Peter 1:25 refer to an utterance of God occasioned by the Holy Spirit in the heart.
Ephesians 5:26
Romans 10:8
1 Peter 1:25

What Does God's Word Do For Us?


God's Word gives light (Psalm 119:130). It gives me direction (Isaiah 30:21-23). It becomes my daily bread (John 6:47-51) and is food for my soul (1 Corinthians 10:3-4). It becomes what I think about(Philippians 4:8). It inhabits my prayers (Matthew 6:9-13). It inspires my actions (James 1:22-25). It cleans me up (Ephesians 5:26). The Word of God can be used to protect us against the lies of the enemy and can be used as a counter attack too.
Psalm 119:130
Isaiah 30:21-23
John 6:47-51
1 Corinthians 10:3-4
Philippians 4:8
Matthew 6:9-13
James 1:22-25

Ephesians 5:26

This shows how Jesus Himself prayed from the Scriptures.
https://www.petersmythe.com/journal/the-lords-prayer-is-so-old-testament

The Bible is from God and is intended to teach, rebuke, correct, and train in righteousness so we can do every good work.
2 Timothy 3:14-17

We are to look for God's meaning and message when we read and study the Bible. God's Word is a powerful force which will accomplish its purpose (Isaiah 55:10-11). It will divide what makes up our soul, mind, will and emotions. It makes up the new spirit God puts within us. It discerns the thoughts and intentions of the heart. We can use it to align ourselves in truth in God's will. Interacting in and with God's Word leads to intimacy with God.
Isaiah 55:10-11

God's Word Is Full Of His Power!


The Word of God pierces and penetrates in a way that it reaches the heart and center of action and lays open the emotions and motives of everyone it touches. We need to listen for God's voice to know how to apply God's voice and His Word to the circumstances in our life and battle.

The Word of God reveals God's power. In Matthew 22:29, Jesus makes reference to knowing the Word of God equivalent to knowing God's power.
Matthew 22:29

The Relationship Jesus Had with God's Word


Jesus is the Word of God!


John 1:1-4 and 14

Isaiah 11:1-4

Revelation 19:11-16

Revelation 1:12-16


God's Word is truth.
John 17:17

Jesus is truth, and He is with us.
John 14:16-17

Everyone that is of the truth, hears the voice of Jesus.
John 18:37

Jesus quoted God's Word. He said several times, “It is written”.
When he was tempted:
Matthew 4:7
When he was angry in the temple:
Luke 19:45-46
When he was teaching and preaching:
Luke 24:44-48
John 6:45
Mark 14:27

Jesus gave us the perfect example of how to use the sword of the Spirit in spiritual warfare in Matthew 4:1-11.

Matthew 4:1-11


In the first temptation, Satan tempted Jesus to turn stones into bread. Jesus responded with Deuteronomy 8:3. “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeded out of the mouth of God.”
Deuteronomy 8:3

Then Satan changed tactics. He tried quoting Scripture in a twisted way to tempt Jesus. He quoted from Psalm 91:11-12. (note:The enemy knows how to use the sword if you don't.)
Psalm 91:11-12

Jesus responded with Deuteronomy 6:16. “Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.”
Deuteronomy 6:16

Satan tempted Jesus one more time. He promised him the rule of all the kingdoms of the world. Jesus answered him with Deuteronomy 6:13. “Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.“
Deuteronomy 6:13

As we can see, Jesus used the word of God in his preaching, prayer, and temptations. Jesus is an expert swordsman who's example we can safely follow. Using and becoming familiar with the sword of the Spirit is not optional. It is a command.
Psalm 149

Spiritual Success


We will have spiritual success when we stand and fight upon the truths of God's Word. Our battles won’t be won with emotions or anything else outside of God's truth-filled Word.
Joshua 1:8-9

We must fight the good fight of faith with all righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, and humbleness. Profess the Word of God to all who will hear.
1 Timothy 6:11-12

We are not meant to keep God's Word to ourselves. Anyone who has the word of God in them and his Spirit will speak His Word. We yield the sword towards our life and circumstances by speaking the Word and proclaiming it.
John 3:34

The Holy Spirit makes the Word effective as we speak and receive it. The Spirit is what gives it the sharp edge and penetrating power.
John 6:63

If you want to be spiritually successful, keep the Word of God near you and near to your heart. The just lives by faith that comes from hearing the life-saving Word of God.
Deuteronomy 30:14-16

Do you want God to be near you and to listen to your prayers and bless you?Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Submit yourself to God. Cleanse your hands and purify your heart. Have godly sorrow over your sins that leads to true repentance. Be humble. Come near to God and His Word and He will be near you.
James 4:7-10

In Closing:

Many forces are making an attempt to reduce our trust in the Bible. Satan tries to reduce the power of God's Word by twisting it's meaning and hiding truths. Just consider the temptations of Eve and of Jesus. Be aware of partial truths. We must be careful to not take Scripture out of context. The sword of the Spirit will help you cut your way through all your circumstances.

The skill of the Christian soldier is to glorify Jesus Christ. We need to learn to be skillful with the word of God in spiritual warfare so Christ can be glorified in us. Put on truth and righteousness. Remember God's promises. Look for His peace. Stand secure. When Satan hurls his fierydarts at you, repel them with faith-filled words.

“Come let us reason together”, says the Lord. Return his word to him in prayer, thanksgiving, praise, profession of faith, and declaring His promises. He is faithful.
Isaiah 1:18

The Word of God will save and change your life! Make a habit of getting into it Daily. Let the Word of God richly dwell in you. Let it become a part of you.
Colossians 3:16

Don't ever take the Word of God for granted. It is such a precious gift from God. Men, women and children have died defending it so we could have the privilege to read it in our own language. It is very valuable to my life and yours. Start having daily interaction with it today.


Resources

Jesus is my permanent anchor!
A signature for me to use

© Copyright 2021 Marvelous Friend (UN: pickmarvilla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Marvelous Friend has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1009269-Armor-of-God---Sword-of-the-Spirit