*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1010778-Playing-French-Horn
by Sum1
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #2224976
Writings about things that have occurred in my life. Not in Chronological Order
#1010778 added May 25, 2021 at 9:48pm
Restrictions: None
Playing French Horn
French Horn


         When I was in the 4th grade, the girl of my dreams joined the elementary school band. I begged my parents to let me join, never telling them about Rita Sanchez being the reason I wanted to join. No matter how I pleaded, the answer was always a resounding, "No!" Their reasoning was that most likely I wouldn't continue it and give it up after a couple of months. We were poor as could be, getting an instrument for me was out of the question.

         When I started the 5th grade, I was determined to be in band, just so I could be with the love of my life. Now understand one thing. Rita Sanchez didn't know I existed. She was cute, she was my first crush, and I needed to be near her as much as I could. I thought that being in band with her would lead to us finally getting to talk. I was far too shy to go up to her and say hi. Besides, she was gorgeous (in my eyes), and I was just a nerdy, gangly boy.

         Luckily for me, my parents relented and finally let me sign up for band. I was all set, I would play Trumpet, and play it so well that she would notice me, and we'd be a couple forever. Except now there were two problems.

         First, my parents couldn't afford to buy me a trumpet, so we would have to rent an instrument from the school system. There was yet another problem. The school system didn't rent trumpets. The only instruments they rented were trombones, baritones, Tuba/Sousaphones, and French Horns. I thought about it some, and decided on the French Horn. Why? I knew what the other instruments looked like, but had no idea what a French Horn looked like, and thought I'd play that. And that's how I ended up playing French Horn from the fifth grade through HS graduation.

         Oh, and Rita? Well, she didn't continue band in the 5th grade.... We went to different Middle Schools/Junior High Schools, but the same High School. I never did speak to her, she never knew I was alive. I was fine though, I'd found a new love in music.

© Copyright 2021 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1010778-Playing-French-Horn