*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1010870-Sinus-Surgery
by Sum1
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #2224976
Writings about things that have occurred in my life. Not in Chronological Order
#1010870 added May 27, 2021 at 10:43am
Restrictions: None
Sinus Surgery
Sinus Surgery 5/26/21



         Due to that ongoing cough I've had for a while now, and other sinus issues, the ENT (and other specialists) decided that Sinus Surgery should be performed. Yesterday was the big day, which leaves me with one big statement to make. "I can't believe there are people who will voluntarily undergo a procedure like this just so their nose will 'look better'!" Yes, I realize that's a different type of surgery altogether, but it's in the same area, I'm sure they felt the same afterwards as I did yesterday. Maybe I'm just a wimp....

         For me, the surgery itself was a breeze. I checked in at 11:30 am for my 1 pm appointment, and was quickly ushered to a waiting room. I went through the typical barrage of questions that had been answered many times before, and the nurse started an IV, and the fun began. First, the IV was nothing, even though she warned me beforehand. She numbed my hand first, and cautioned about the sting (I felt nothing), then a burning due to the numbing medicine being injected. Again, I felt nothing. As she inserted the needle for the IV, she said, "A lot pressure and sting." I felt nothing, she had numbed it well. After that, it was a waiting game for at least an hour.

         They finally came to wheel me to the operating room, as they were pushing my bed, one of them said, "I've already given you a light sedative, you might feel some lightheadedness." I said something back about I expected it, but I don't recall exactly what I said. Anyway, I don't remember arriving in the exact room, I don't recall being moved to a different bed, I was out. The next thing I was aware of, is waking with my nose stuffed, some minor pain, and being told over and over to breathe deep to get my blood oxygen level above 90.

         Eventually I was sent home with instructions on after care. Those instructions weren't given to me of course, but we knew what to do at least. I slept the evening away, and through most of the night, waking at 4 am. There's not a lot of pain, then again, I was prescribed Norco. I will stop taking that sometime today if I can, but do have a week's supply available. I have the next two weeks off, with activity restrictions in place. No bending over, no lifting anything over 10 pounds, I must sleep with my head elevated at least 30 degrees (Thank God for our nice reclining love seat!) for about a week. There is a tube stuck in each nostril to keep things clear, and I have a 'mustache dressing' taped in place that is changed every hour or so. (Mustache dressing = gauze rolled and taped above my upper lip).

         I even thought of a 'joke' I could post here about all this.... It would go something like this.

Scenario -

         We're sitting around talking about our past, where we've been, where we'd like to go back to. Eventually she says, "I would love to go someplace I haven't been in a long time."

         I reply, "How about the kitchen?"

Insert post-op selfie labeled, Me, after her reply., followed by the statement...

"I am recovering nicely, and will be able to smell things again in about 2 weeks!"


         Seriously, I am fine really, and will rest all I can, while I can. Love to you all, take care of yourselves!

© Copyright 2021 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1010870-Sinus-Surgery