*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1010981-And-the-Guest-Prompt-Is
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#1010981 added May 29, 2021 at 8:34pm
Restrictions: None
And the Guest Prompt Is...
May 29th Prompt: Add to the War Chest Challenge. Write three prompts for future rounds and then use one of them to finish the rest of your entry.
         
         
         So, it's that time again, huh? Hmmm... What three prompts could I contribute?
         Okay, here they are. 1. Do you like your name? Would you ever change it? 2. If you could be a mythical creature, which would you choose? 3. The one thing nobody tells you about ______.
         So, now I'll pick one to write about. Eeny, meeny, miney, mo choose a prompt and let it flow. Number 1 is the winner. Do you like your name? Would you ever change it?
         I don't not like my name. It is what it is. It's not a god-awful moniker. It's not frumpy, or gawdy, or over the top. I've never known another name. My name is my identity. When called, I answer to it.
          There are names I'm forever grateful did not impress either of my parents. I feel for women christened Fanny. Everyone carries around that particular body part, but to highlight it as a given name?
         I could have been a Bertha, or a Frieda, or a Philomena. No disrespect to those who face every day with these 'labels', but they're not for me. Certain names I associate with old ladies which is wrong because they were not always seniors. Martha, Evelyn, Edwina, and the like seem outdated to me.
          I dodged a bullet by not bearing my maternal grandmother's names, Gladys Gertrude. Now, If I had been her namesake, I'd shorten my moniker to G.G. I'd keep people guessing and perpetuate an aura of mystery. Hey, this could be my pen name. Of course, G.G. is not at all similar to Gigi which I think would make a cute dog's name.
         I have no illusions of grandeur that would prompt me to change, or alter my name. Oh, as a teenager I briefly entertained the idea of creative spelling for my name. I considered that an 'i' in place of a 'y' would give me an aura of individuality, a 'specialness.' I knew someone who had decided to spell Cindy as Cyndi and that swayed my temporary bid as Sandi. I came to my senses and accepted that 'y.'
          Perhaps I'm becoming a fuddy duddy, but have you noticed the strange, nonsensical, and outrageous spellings some choose for their children's names? They pervert a well-known name and sometimes I hazard a guess as to the pronunciation. Surely, not all of these parents are terrible spellers. I assume they seek a uniqueness for their offspring.
         My eldest grandgiggles had a friend with just such a distortion to her name. I first saw it in a class list and I pronounced it as " zow" as in "kapow" and "ee" that rhymes with "lee." Zowee... The girls were quick to correct me. "No, Nanna, it's Zoe." Okay?
         Certain names seem to attract several versions in their presentations. Take the moniker 'Michaela'. I've noticed 'Mikayla','Michaella', 'Mickeyla', whatever. My eldest's name is 'Carrie' and the other options are many. 'Kerry', 'Carry', 'Cari' or 'Karri'. When I spy a name tag with 'Carrie' I make a point of saying that it's spelled correctly, but what do I know? I have a preference, obviously.
         Anyway, I'll keep my name as it is. I have no need for an alias, or a fresh start. A few of the relatives may display memory issues in the near future, so why mess with them now. I appreciate that they remember me.

© Copyright 2021 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1010981-And-the-Guest-Prompt-Is