*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1011170-July-Fantasy-Newsletter
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#1011170 added July 8, 2021 at 3:26pm
Restrictions: None
July Fantasy Newsletter
Research

http://superstitiondictionary.com/weather-omens-superstitions-sayings/
http://superstitiondictionary.com/thunder-superstitions-folklore/
https://www.learnreligions.com/weather-magic-and-folklore-2562497

Editor's Picks

1. The Time Machine Simulator
2. The Ancient Wooden Box
3. Project Eve - genetic perfection
4. What's new in your neck o' the woods
5. We need to talk.
6. The Woman in the Moon
7. Unnatural Growth
8.
9.
Heading 1

Weather Omens

Heading 2

Can omens help you predict the weather?

Hook

Have you used weather omens in any fantasy stories?

About This Newsletter

“Red sky at night, sailors’ delight,
red sky in the morning, sailors take warning?”
Weather Omen

For thousands of years before the advent of modern weather prediction technology, humans attempted divination of the weather. They did this through the use of omens, which were supposed to tell them what the weather would be like over a given period of time. Do omens work any better than modern weather prediction methods? Perhaps, when they are used in a fantasy story to move the plot or characters forward.

Letter From the Editor

One weather omen, I remember from my childhood, concerned a ring or halo around the moon. It was supposed to foretell rain. Some of the women, my grandmother knew, were so convinced that the halo indicated rain that they would not do laundry the next day. This was because they hung their clothes outside to dry and the did not want the drying clothes to get wet again. Because if that happened, they would have to do laundry all over again.

There are numerous omens that were supposed to foretell rain or wet weather, which is understandable. Farmers need rain to help their crops, so they would want to be able to predict it. They would need to know, especially in drought conditions, when the rain would come. Other weather superstitions are tied to date or days, and some were used to predict storms.

One weather superstition was tied to the new moon and the first Tuesday after its occurrence. Apparently the weather that occurred on that day could be expected throughout that quarter of the moon. Therefore, if it rained or stormed on the first Tuesday after the new moon, you could expect that type of weather until the end of that quarter of the moon.

Another interesting superstition, had to do with a Friday sunset. If it stormed on Friday night, you could expect another storm before Monday. If the sunset on Friday night was clear, you could expect rain before Monday. I am not sure of the logic of this, however, I suppose it is just a logical as any other weather superstition.

What are some of the weather omens or superstitions, that you encounter in your area of the world? Have you ever thought of using them in a fantasy story to help reveal the characters or move the plot forward? Have you ever investigated whether or not these omens are valid by keeping a record of the weather after an omen occurs?

Editors Picks

 The Time Machine Simulator  (13+)
Life in the next ice age from the point of view of a small child
#1631875 by Josh T. Alto


 
STATIC
The Ancient Wooden Box  (18+)
A history of sorts
#2250818 by fyn


 Project Eve - genetic perfection  (E)
In a Space Habitat, Moses & Sophie introduce new health system to Imperial Administrators.
#2236049 by LightinMind


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2202284 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2252457 by Not Available.


 
STATIC
The Woman in the Moon  (E)
Once a maid in the Emperor's palace, she found immortality and loneliness on the Moon.
#2250559 by DMCarroll


 
STATIC
Unnatural Growth  (13+)
Science Fiction Short Story Contest Example for April
#2248284 by BlackAdder


Submitted by Readers

Activities, Groups, and Contests



Elfin Dragon-finally published writes: Thank you for using my piece "Invalid Item
And I don't think there's any better metaphor than a spider's web for the internet. The reason is that the spider spins its web from a central point (the hub), out; with connections (points) along the way. The internet is much the same way. You have the central hub spiraling out to everyone connected to it.

Beholden writes: Thank you for including my story, Fairy Nuff, in your Editor's Picks.

Beholden

writes:
writes:
writes:
writes:
writes:
writes:


© Copyright 2021 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1011170-July-Fantasy-Newsletter