*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012476-Greens-My-Way
Rated: E · Book · Food/Cooking · #2220161
A place for me to keep all my recipes
#1012476 added June 24, 2021 at 6:52pm
Restrictions: None
Greens My Way
As a southern woman, there is nothing I like more than a big, heaping bowl of greens. Sure, traditional ways are fine...but I really don't like greens that are cooked to death. Mushy messes are not good eats! Over the years I have come up with a few variations to my greens that make them versatile, offer diversity and taste great, at least, in my opinion.

Because some greens are bitter, I always, always choose to mix my greens. I rarely ever make just one green, unless it is Spinach. Mustard greens, kale, turnip greens, beet greens, radish greens, and collard greens all get mixed. How much of each or what combination gets mixed all depends on the prices and what is on sale when I am shopping! So, keep that in mind when reading these recipes.

The same holds true with the root vegetables I use with the greens. It just depends on what I have on hand and/or what was on sale. Typically, I will choose from potatoes, turnips, rutabagas, parsnips, beets, radishes, or sweet potatoes. All of these work well with greens but beets are my least favorite.

One more note. When you clean your greens. DO NOT throw away the stems! It is not only a waste of food but money as well. It irritates me to no end when I see people throw them out. Rather, set them aside and take the time to finely chop them. Put in freezer bags and freeze. Later, they make flavorful, nutritious additions to stir-fries, soups, stews, noodle dishes, and other things. Don't waste them.


So, let's get cooking.*Onion* *Garlic* *PepperGreen*

Go To Greens - nine times out of ten, this is the recipe I use when I make greens.

What you need:
half a package thick-cut peppered bacon {don't know how many slices, just eyeball it)
one large chopped onion
one chopped green bell pepper
1 tablespoon pre-minced garlic or two or three chopped cloves (adjust to your own taste)
3 teaspoons butter
3 "bunches" of greens - your choice of which ones...mix and match to your own taste
2 small pinches of red pepper flakes
2 cups of your choice of root vegetables chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
Cajun seasoning like Old Bay or Tony's or whatever you prefer


In a large skillet fry your bacon crispy and set aside. Drain most of the oil from the pan keeping about a tablespoon. In the hot oil add your onions and bell pepper. Let saute for about three minutes or so then add your root vegetables. You want to cook them until they start getting brown and crispy around the edges. Then, remove them from the heat and set them aside. Now, in your same skillet, you want to melt your three teaspoons of butter and add the minced garlic. Let them saute no longer than a minute being careful not to burn them. Add your greens, pile them all into the skillet and place a lid over the top. Let steam for three or four minutes until they are wilted. Take off the lid and stir them around making sure all the leaves are covered in the butter and garlic. Next, add back to the skillet the root vegetables and onion mix. Gently incorporate until well blended. Your greens will continue to wilt and cook. Now, you need to add two tablespoons of either lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Crumble the bacon and add to the skillet. Sprinkle with cajun seasoning. Now cover and let steam and cook another five minutes, gently string occasionally.

Your root vegetables should be fork tender but not mushy and not fall apart when stabbed. Your greens should be tender and wilted but still have a little texture and bite to them. Absolutely not mushy. If they are mushy you cooked them too long.





















** Image ID #1665990 Unavailable **
Left facing shadow monkey signature with words on shirt for Ninja MonkeysNM
gift from Leah. GHA
signature i won from space blog
© Copyright 2021 Shadow Prowler-Spreading Love (UN: wordgeek at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shadow Prowler-Spreading Love has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012476-Greens-My-Way