*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012490-The-weight-of-rice-and-tea-164-JI6
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#1012490 added June 25, 2021 at 2:27am
Restrictions: None
The weight of rice and tea [164] JI#6
*Mailg* In three words I can sum up everything I learned about life: Counting is easier than it looks. Spring in my Sox

The weight of rice and tea.

Poh kept one eye on Mrs. W.W.Walker while counting and recounting the barrels of high grade sake. Chok kept an eye on her too as he weighed the sacks of tea. Li and Chen showed her around making sure she didn't see what she wasn't supposed to see. Beidi sat in a corner chatting with a peasant women.

The smell of osimanthus flowers filled the air.

"10, 11..."

"How many times have you counted them?"

"At least three times, Chok. I can't seem to focus. I look around and... I have to start all over again."

"Want to trade?"

"Sure."

But Chok did no better and the scales for measuring the tea seemed to have a mind of its own. And then there was Mrs. W.W.Walker, fanning herself like a courtesan, oblivious of what was going on.

*Leaf2g* *Leaf2Br* *Flowerw* *Leaf2br* *Leaf2g*


Beidi made sure of that. Hoan knew who he was but played her part well. The boys knew who he was too, but didn't know his powers. Li and Chen were too focused on Mrs.W.W.Walker.

"She doesn't know does she?"

"No, she's too enamored with how much money she can make selling tea back home. That nip of sake Chen added is helping too."

"We're all playing are part today aren't we?"

"Even Poh and Chok... in spite of you trying to confuse them."

"Yes. What do you know about them?"

"They are young and curious. Too curious at times. Chok takes risks. Poh weighs the costs. They make a good pair."

"It's like that, is it?"

"Could be. It's more like they are our own children. Brave. Curious. Sometimes stupid."

Beidi laughed softly. What else could he do? Hoan was right. They were part of a bigger plan. He was sure of that. But... for now, keeping them confused made them look like silly boys. It was better that Mrs. W.W.Walker saw them as such. She'd worry about Li and Chen... as she should. They were formidible merchants. Better focus on them then the real threats to her plans. Beidi and Hoan were going to find out what her game was. And Chok-Poh were going to help them.

It was close to the time Mrs. W.W.Walker must be escorted out of the Tea-of-the-Mists. Poh said, "18 barrels". Chok said, "Agreed. And 91 jin 斤 of tea". "Let's load up the sacks of tea."

They smiled at each other. "What if our guest doesn't fit?" "What if we have to land in the middle of nowhere?" Now they both laughed.

"Ready?" It was Chen's turn to smile.

As Mrs. W.W.Walker was lifted off the ground and the turtle barely missed the trees they all sighed relief.

"She's in good hands now." Hoan stared directly at Li-Chen and turned to leave.

Beidi waited until dusk. A black dragon could fly unnoticed at night. He intended to speak to Chok-Poh before dawn.

© Copyright 2021 Kåre Enga [178.164] (24.juni.2021)

About 500 words

for
Journalistic Intentions  (18+)
This is for the journal keeping types that come to PLAY! New round starts February 1!
#2213121 by Elisa the Bunny Stik


© Copyright 2021 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012490-The-weight-of-rice-and-tea-164-JI6