*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1013102-In-Case-of-My-Early-Demise
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #2229366
Ramblings about the world and myself
#1013102 added July 5, 2021 at 12:59pm
Restrictions: None
In Case of My Early Demise
I wrote this while I was working on my story "Ailurophobia . It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, so I didn't want to make it an item in my portfolio. I kind of like it, so I'm putting it here.

While doing research for my short story 'Ailurophobia', I stumbled upon something dangerous. I now know the real truth about cats. Unfortunately, the cats know that I know. In search of a good story, I found myself in extreme danger. Because she lives with me, my wife Lesia is in danger too. The cats have formed a conspiracy to make sure that what I know never gets out.

I first noticed that our own cats won’t let me out of their sight. They follow my every step, with malignant stares. Then strange cats began to gather outside. There are always always at least three strange cats at each door. The guard changes about every four hours or so. They want to be sure that the guards are alert.

More and more cats are gathering in the yard. There are fifty or sixty out there right now. When I went to the mailbox, they kept pushing closer to my legs, and trying to get their claws in me. I know that as soon as they have gathered enough troops, they will storm the house. I don’t expect to last more than a few days. In case we don’t make it, I have put my story and research notes in a secure location, with instructions to publish my report. I hope that this report is taken seriously. If not, it could mean the extinction of humanity itself.

Update: The siege continues. The ravenous beasts may be a divinely evolved version of us. They would want us to think so. I tend to think that they are an evolved version of something else. They had me recruited until I started looking into the issue. Like Philip K. Dick, I hit too close to reality.

The numbers of the critters have increased to a few hundred, and continues to grow. It looks like a sea of beast backs extending from the edge of the porch to the road. Our neighbor from across the road braved this outfit to check on us. I asked her to call Animal Control, as we have no contact with the outside world (yes, I am online. I never said that this would be logical). She agreed. Unfortunately, she didn’t make it home. A wave of feline fIesh overtook her before she reached the road. I saw one of the enslaved dogs, a Great Dane, drag her remains into the garage under the apartment next door. I haven’t seen the neighbor from the apartment. His car hasn’t moved in days. I fear the worst.

This collection of critters seems to be led by an especially large one that I suspect may have some lynx in his lineage. We're hanging on to the last of the hope that we can manage to muster.

© Copyright 2021 ForeverDreamer (UN: joefredthomas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
ForeverDreamer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1013102-In-Case-of-My-Early-Demise