*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1013115-Baked-Bean-Casserole
Rated: E · Book · Food/Cooking · #2220161
A place for me to keep all my recipes
#1013115 added July 5, 2021 at 5:07pm
Restrictions: None
Baked Bean Casserole
There are two ways you can make this and both ways are yummy. Even though you will use canned beans and it takes only about an hour to make, it still tastes like it was an all-day chore.

I happen to get an overabundance of vegetarian-style beans, which are kinda nasty, but I hate to waste anything. You can however switch out whatever kind of canned beans you have on hand. The measurements are not exact so you will need to adjust them to your size family and your tastes as well. I'll just tell you what I use for my husband and myself. The following provides three meals for us.

5 cans of vegetarian style beans
1 pound ground beef
one med onion chopped
half a green bell pepper chopped
two big squirts of brown spicy mustard
about a cup of BBQ sauce
1 packet onion soup mix
garlic powder (I'm generous with this)
can of layer type biscuits
one small bag of shredded cheese of your choice, we prefer cheddar or Mexican blend.

In a skillet, you want to start browning your ground beef and add to it your onions and bell peppers. You are just going to cook it until all the pink is gone and the onions and peppers are tender. Very important, drain your meat mixture to reduce the amount of oil. Set aside. In a large baking dish, pour your beans into it. Add the spicy mustard, onion soup mix, garlic powder, and BBQ sauce. Then add your meat mixture and combine very well. Cover with foil and bake in the oven at 375 for about 30 minutes. Then, remove foil and stir the mixture. Should be thick and moist by not have a lot of liquid or be super dry. If super dry, add a little more BBQ sauce. If still kinda wet, bake 10 minutes longer without the foil. Place biscuits on top of beans spaced evenly. Return to the oven and bake until the biscuits are just turning golden brown. Remove and cover biscuits with shredded cheese and return to the oven just until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.


***Altrnatives***

*I have made this using ground sausage and ground chicken. I wasn't too fond of the chicken one.
*I've added crumbled crispy bacon and it was a hit.
*Instead of biscuits, I've followed the directions for cornbread...and poured cornbread batter all over the top...and baked. Then added the cheese and I like that even more than the biscuit topping.
*Once, my husband used pancake batter over the top...that was, um, interesting. Not bad...just different. Added a bit of sweetness.



** Image ID #1665990 Unavailable **
Left facing shadow monkey signature with words on shirt for Ninja MonkeysNM
gift from Leah. GHA
signature i won from space blog
© Copyright 2021 Shadow Prowler-Spreading Love (UN: wordgeek at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shadow Prowler-Spreading Love has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1013115-Baked-Bean-Casserole