*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
4
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1013620-Holidays
by Sumojo
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2186156
The simplicity of my day to day.
#1013620 added July 14, 2021 at 7:01am
Restrictions: None
Holidays
PROMPT July 14th

We all celebrate holidays of some type. Which one of the lesser known holidays is your favorite? (You cannot talk about Christmas/Thanksgiving or their equivalent in your country in this entry.)

Since being retired I don’t actually care about holidays. Every day is the same to me. But when I was a child the holiday I loved best, after the one’s we can’t mention, was PancakeDay. Or Shrove Tuesday to give it its proper name.
Mum used to stand at the stove and make stack after stack of pancakes. We used to squeeze fresh oranges on to them and lots of sugar.
What Happened to Whitsun?

When I was a child the biggest Church festivals were Christmas, Easter, Harvest Festival, and Whitsuntide. Christmas, Easter, Whitsun and Harvest also tied in with school holidays. Whereas Christian churches still celebrate all these and some others throughout the year, the general population seems to have forgotten all about Whitsun. Whitsuntide was the name given to the whole occasion with Whit Sunday and Whit Monday being the two main days. In Britain, the weekend is always the last weekend in May, the Monday is an official holiday and the week always coincides with a half term school holiday. However, the weekend, the bank holiday Monday and the associated school holiday are now always known as Spring Bank Holiday.
But Whitsun used to be special. Children always got new clothes, and maybe a new toy.

© Copyright 2021 Sumojo (UN: sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sumojo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1013620-Holidays