*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
4
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1016307-An-Ode-to-Ida--as-it-lands
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#1016307 added August 29, 2021 at 12:20pm
Restrictions: None
An Ode to Ida ... as it lands
It's 10:55 in Louisiana. Hurricane Ida is about to make landfall. This morning's winds topped out at 150. Grand Isle's wx station lost connection at 136 mph.

So, yeah.

I'm motivated to write about disasters. They eliminate the numbness. Fury unleashed and unapologetic.

So I won't apologize for my musings.

Ode to Ida

El Caribe is a big tub in which to swim. The sun, the sand, the rain, the wind. Tiny islands poke defiant fingers to the sky, as if to pierce her clouds.

There's still a long journey across warm waters ahead.

         As August leaves to become September

         a couple cuddles in Louisiana.


Jamaicans want to play. They prayed for rain so now she showers their mountains, scrubs their cities, shampoos their beaches. Better than Ivory soap, she floats above them.

The Caymans were thirsty. They no longer thirst.

         As I put on the pot I must remember

         a baby suckles in Louisiana.


Cuba stands in the way. He always does. Defiant as Castro and as prepared. There's no need to linger where there are no souls ripe for harvest. They're hunkered down.

One peak rises above her clouds. She bats it down.

         As the water boils I must remember

         an old man huddles in Louisiana.


The Gulf stretches, flat as a speedway, no bumps in sight. Smooth sailing to whatever port she chooses to visit. She ignores the no vacancy signs.

But she expected a warm welcome; her temper flares.

         As I overfill my cup I must remember

         someone's crying in Louisiana.


Now shores act as if they don't want a cleansing, try to put up a shield to turn her fury aside, to send her east or west or — they fail like they always do.

Mud doesn't care how it's stirred nor where it settles.

         As I drink my coffee I must remember

         someone's dying in Louisiana.


© Copyright 2021 Kåre Enga [178.217] (29.août.2021)

~320 words
Posted in "Blogville
105.618

© Copyright 2021 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1016307-An-Ode-to-Ida--as-it-lands