*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1016393-Welfare-Check
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2198921
Norma's Wanderings around a small section of Montana
#1016393 added August 30, 2021 at 9:04pm
Restrictions: None
Welfare Check


I sat on my porch tonight, cruising the internet. I kept hearing this sound, like someone grinding up tree parts down the street. Valid, since I saw someone cutting down a dead tree on my walk earlier. So I went out to the sidewalk to check this out.

The sound was coming from the truck of the woman next door. It was idling, regular noise, loud noise, cycling back and forth. I looked inside and she is sitting in there. Now this has been making a noise for perhaps 15 minutes or so? It's a warm afternoon, perhaps she is cooling off, I think.

My hubby comes back from his nightly walk. I tell him what I observe. "I think I'll wait a few more minutes, then I'm calling the sheriff." So I give it a half hour. I call the non-emergency sheriff number. Tell them this person is sitting in her truck, the truck is running, she seems to be sleeping or worse. No I haven't checked to see if she is breathing. Please come do a welfare check.

So that was 45 minutes ago. Sometime ago the truck stopped running. I don't know if she turned it off or it just ran out of gas or gave up the ghost.

The Sheriff just arrived. He pounded on the truck window, thank God she woke up. Not sure what the story is here. I know this person has had drug and alcohol problems in the past. But I have to tell you, my heart pounded for a few moments as he was yelling at her. I sure didn't want the ambulance to come and take her body away.

Now will she be like the character in the book I just read? Sad something didn't turn out the way she planned?

I'd do the same for anyone else.

© Copyright 2021 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (UN: normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1016393-Welfare-Check