*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1016568-Day-2---Worst-present-ever
Rated: 18+ · Book · Community · #2257034
Birthday Bash Relay. Excited on Second Place! Now for various WDC contests and activities
#1016568 added December 6, 2021 at 2:53am
Restrictions: None
Day #2 - Worst present ever - blog relay, not judged
Words: 492

Worst Present Ever


It took me a long time to forgive her. In fact, truth be told, I'm not sure I have actually forgiven her yet, except that it's not politically correct to admit to holding a grudge against such a close friend.

She is a close friend. We've seen each other through a lot. A mutual friend passed away of cancer. A year later, I had multiple eye surgeries. She came to hospital and helped Dad at the time. When Dad had spine surgery, she was there at the hospital, giving me moral support (and lunch).

So yeah, she's a close friend and according to her, the gift she ordered for me for my fiftieth birthday was something I'd like and use often. It was way over the usual budget for a birthday gift, but she splurged anyway.

And I was so angry when she sent me the link, saying 'this is what I ordered for you'.

It was an epilator.

Yes, a thing you use to remove unwanted hair.

According to her, I'd be happy to have it to quickly 'do' my face instead of booking a beauty-parlor appointment each time I had to get rid of my moustache and beard.

According to me, she should've asked first.

An epilator is a rather personal item. Simply ordering it without asking first said to me: "There's something ugly about you that needs correcting and I'm going to do it."

It's expensive. About four times the amount she would've spent on a usual gift.

And -- I can't use it. My facial hair is too dense, sending that much electricity in would harm my skin. Plus, my facial hair no longer has pigment. The electric current generated by the epilator needs pigment to get to the hair-root and do its work.

A lot of money spent on an item that's hurtful and useless to the recipient.

The good part?

She has facial hair, too. (Yes, that's the GOOD part! *Laugh*)
So it hasn't gone to waste, she's using it.

And it led to a long conversation between us. She has often criticized my clothes, shoes or haircuts. I told her she didn't seem tp be able to accept me as I am. She said it was to the contrary, she thinks I'm an amazing person and was only stating things that she felt would help me become more amazing. She also said that nobody ever 'guided' her about anything and she wished they would, so she was doing unto me as she wished someone would do unto her. Once she realized she was being hurtful, she apologized and things are a lot better now.

In fact, it got me thinking that maybe I've been insensitive to HER needs - she apparently wants others' opinions on her appearance, and I never comment on it!

So yeah, the thing may have been the worst gift, but the outcome was quite the best!



Thank you to ANNIVERSARY REVIEWS
Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.

© Copyright 2021 THANKful Sonali LOVES DAD (UN: mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
THANKful Sonali LOVES DAD has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1016568-Day-2---Worst-present-ever