*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1016794-Real-News
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1016794 added September 5, 2021 at 12:04am
Restrictions: None
Real News
In a world where headlines are clickbait and ledes are buried deeper than COVID-19 mass casualties, it can be refreshing to come across a story, however bizarre, that actually qualifies as news.



That's right. You read it here, folks: an actual Man Bites Dog   story!

A 32-year-old man is facing charges after allegedly biting a Vancouver Police dog on Thursday morning.

Now see? That's how you write a lede. It covers the basics: who, what, when, where, and why, with the "how" notably absent but able to be inferred ("with his teeth.") Also, the rest of the article covers that bit.

“The suspect allegedly resisted arrest and bit Police Service Dog Mando, which was assisting in the arrest,” VPD said.

Mando? Mando? Does he have a companion named Grogu? Perhaps with an insatiable hunger for frog eggs?

The suspect was bitten by the police dog during the arrest and treated at hospital. Police Service Dog Mando has minor injuries, VPD said.

Oh, you were doing so well until BOOM passive voice.

Still, "minor injuries" is encouraging.

Police said they are recommending “multiple charges” against the suspect.

Might want to test him for rabies while you're at it.

Hopefully, after this sad tail, the dog will recover fully and get a new leash on life. He can harness the paw-er of this experience for future encounters. As for the suspect, well... looks like he's boned.

© Copyright 2021 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1016794-Real-News