*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1017295-Blessed-to-Be-Spiritually-Poor
Rated: E · Book · Religious · #2245288
Bible studies
#1017295 added September 25, 2021 at 1:02am
Restrictions: None
Blessed to Be Spiritually Poor

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for being so good to us. Help us to understand what you want us to be and help us to be it. We know that living in your will, we will be blessed. Help us to remember to bless others as we are blessed.
In Christ’s name,
Amen


*Cross1* Matthew 5:3 *Cross1*

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Sam slammed the front door of the house he and Sandra had purchased together. He was so angry. How could she want to just throw the last 10 years of marriage away with a divorce? He had only cheated on her the one time and it was because they were always arguing. He just wanted some fresh love and a break from all the anger.

As Sam got into his car, he realized he had really hurt her this time. He had never seen that look in her eyes before as she screamed at him. Suddenly, he felt really bad about what he had done. He knew he had done her wrong. As he sat there for a moment, he couldn't imagine what his life would be without Sandta.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At this point, Sam has 2 options.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Option 1:(worldly sorrow)
Sam felt sorry for himself. He regrets that he had gotten caught in his lies and deceit. He just can hardly believe his marriage is over just like that! He is tired of fighting and thinks to himself that maybe he would be better off finding another woman. Then maybe he wouldn't have to deal with all that stress all the time. He can go find someone who appreciates the roof he puts over their head and the food he puts on the table. He could find someone who will have a cold drink waiting for him when he gets home from work and will massage his feet. Then she would bring dinner to him in his favorite chair while he watched tv. She would worship him like a king.

Sam just couldn't understand why Sandra wouldn't do that for him. She was always busy attending to the children and acted like he should eat at the table with the rest of the family. After he worked all day, he deserved a break. She was always nagging him to take out the trash, mow the lawn, fix the sink, and change the light bulbs. Why couldn't she do some of that? He worked a job after all and she stayed home with the kids all day. He started up the car and drove away grieving the broken marriage.

Option 2:(Godly sorrow)
Sam gets out of the car with tears in his eyes. He slowly walks back into the house unsure of what he will say. He hears Sandra Sobbing in the bedroom. He walks quietly into the room with her. “Sandra? Are you willing to talk to me right now?”

“How could you? After all we’ve been through, what were you thinking? What about the kids?”

Remorse flooded through him. “I am so sorry that I hurt you. I don't know what I was thinking. I am tired of all the fighting. I miss us, the way we were when we first got married. What happened to us? What do I have to do to win you back? I love you, and I don't want to lose you. I don't want to keep hurting you.”

Sam walks over to her, they are both sobbing now. Sandra looks up at him, she is still deeply in love with him. “I am so angry at you right now. I never expected you to be with another woman! I thought you were better than that. I thought I could trust you! Now I have to worry every time you come home late from work or get a call from another female. How can I ever trust you again? How do I know you won’t continue to see other women behind my back? How can I know you aren't lying to me? I miss the old us too, but I am not sure they exist anymore or ever will again. What you did really hurt this time. It will take me a long time to be able to trust you again if it is even possible.”

Sam reached out, took her hand, and sat down with her on the bed. “I know I really messed up this time. I am so sorry. I don't know how I will ever make it up to you or if I even can. I don't know how to fix this. If you are willing to try, I am willing to try too. I won't ever cheat on you again. I see how much I hurt you and it is taring me up inside. I never want to hurt you like that ever again.”

They ended up sobbing into one another’s shoulders for a long time and just holding one another willing to work on their marriage and give it another try.

🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺


What does it mean to be blessed?


Blessed is a state of happiness, flourishing, blissful, and to be enlarged. It is a lasting state of happiness. In Jesus’ day, to be blessed was a common way to describe someone wealthy.

Blessed: having a sacred nature : connected with God : very welcome, pleasant, or appreciated: bringing pleasure, contentment, or good fortune: enjoying happiness

What does it mean to be poor in spirit?


To be poor in spirit is to realize you are spiritually bankrupt before God. You know you are completely spiritually destitute because of your sin. The word “poor” in Matthew 5:3 is referring to shrink, to cower, or to cringe. Beggars would often do this when Jesus was here on Earth. We must learn to humble ourselves before God and reverentially fear him. We need to become like a beggar before him pleading for his mercy through the precious blood of Christ. It is having a deep sense of Spiritual poverty and helplessness. It is experiencing Godly sorrow.

Being poor in spirit has nothing to do with physical riches. It is not low self-esteem, self-pity, or self-condemnation. It is a complete absence of self-reliance conceit.
Isaiah 64:6

When you are poor in spirit you are broken and set apart from self-righteousness.
Luke 18:9-14

Our focus is turned to God, and we humble ourselves before him. We display Godly sorrow and true repentance.
Isaiah 6:5

Apart from Jesus, we can do nothing.
John 15:5

Jesus must increase while we decrease.
John 3:30

Blessed are the humbled in spirit.



Humility often requires enormous self-knowledge, self-control, and self-esteem. It is not low self-esteem, but knowing the truth about one’s self. It is submission to God's will. It is knowing your own strengths and weaknesses. Humility demonstrates honesty. It is described as meekness, lowliness, and the absence of focus on self. It is an attitude of the mind and heart.

Humility is concerned with what is right, and pride focuses on who is right. Humility brings people toward God and away from self while pride moves people away from God and towards self. In Matthew 5:3, the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to the humble and not the prideful.

When we come before Christ as a sinner, we must come to him with humility. Humility causes us to die to ourselves and to serve Christ and others before ourselves.
Galatians 2:20
Philippians 2:3

In John 13:1-16, we see that Jesus set an example to serve, not to be served. We are to follow his example and do the same.
John 13:1-16
Philippians 2:5-8

God gives grace to the humble, but he resists the proud.
Proverbs 3:34
Luke 14:11
1 Peter 5:5

True Christians will glory in the cross and God's grace, not in self-righteousness.
Philippians 3:3-10

Sorrow of the World



In our story above, this is demonstrated in option 1.

Worldly sorrow produces death because it doesn't produce repentance. It is self-centered. It is a sorrow that you got caught or are suffering consequences. It focuses on self. It is full of self pity.

The sorrow of the world is not sorry because it caused harm to God or other people. It runs away from God. It hides and cowers.

A good example of worldly sorrow over sin is Judas after he betrayed Jesus. He wasn't concerned with what had happened to Jesus as a result of his actions. He was concerned with his own reputation and consequences. He was blown off by the priests at the temple when he tried to “repent”. He punished himself by hanging himself instead of trusting in the grace and forgiveness of Jesus. As a result, his soul ended up in Hell.
Matthew 27:3-5

Worldly sorrow hardens the heart, like it did with pharaoh and the children of Israel in the book of Exodus. Pharaoh never had a true change of heart. He would repent until the plague was taken away, then he would go back to keeping them as slaves. Even after he had let them go, he and his army pursued after them, and ended up dying in the red sea. He not only suffered a physical death, but a spiritual one too.

Worldly sorrow does not trust in God's goodness and love. It lacks faith in God and his promises and his word. It wallows in self-pity as it focuses on personal weaknesses and flaws. It produces low self-esteem.

This kind of sorrow is often what causes depression and suicide. Yikes! I just stepped on my own toes there. Worldly sorrow leaves us without hope.

I am not condemning anyone suffering from depression. I do myself, but it is good to be aware of where it is coming from. We need to know this kind of sorrow does not come from Almighty God.
2 Timothy 1:7

I am personally learning to put on the spirit of praise for the spirit of heaviness. This spirit of heaviness is worldly sorrow that leads to death. It is focused on self. When we begin to praise God in spite of our circumstances, we are changing our focus from us to God and his Word. This lifts my spirit every time I do it. Sometimes it takes a little longer than others, but if I continue to praise God, my heart becomes joyful. It activates my faith.
Isaiah 61:3

I can also think of a lot of other examples in my own life when I exhibited worldly sorrow instead of Godly sorrow. I feared the consequences of my sins, but it was self focused. I was afraid for myself. I didn't realize that my sin offended God and hurt his feelings. I knew sin made him angry, but I didn't understand why. I didn't want to go to Hell. I wanted the sin without the consequences. Therefore, I did not change. True change began only after I had Godly sorrow and true repentance.

Worldly sorrow makes you feel bad about being caught, feel guilt-ridden, causes mental and emotional disorders, attempts to cover up and hide sin, causes you to punish yourself, and separates us from God. Everything worldly does not come from God. Worldly sorrow leaves you with a sense of hopelessness.
1 John 2:15-17

Worldly sorrow tends to put the blame on others and does not take full responsibility. It is hypocritical. It only produces repentance to be seen by others. It leads to self-destructive behavior. It is driven by guilt and shame. It resents exhortation and warnings as though they are medling.

Another good example of worldly sorrow is when God confronted Adam and Eve of their sin in the garden. When their eyes were opened, they tried to cover up their nakedness and fix it with their own effort. Then, when they heard God approaching, they were afraid of their consequences. They ran and hid from him. Then, when that didn't work and he found them, they began pointing fingers at each other, trying to cast the blame away from themselves.
Genesis 3:6-13

Godly Sorrow

2 Corinthians 7:8-11

8 For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season.
9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
11 For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.



In our story above, this is illustrated in option 2.

Godly sorrow begins with the cross when we cry out to Jesus to have mercy on us. Being poor in spirit means having Godly sorrow. It is humbling ourselves before Almighty God. It has to do with being truly sorrowful for our sin and greiving because we grieved God. This produces true repentance.
Isaiah 55:6-7

Repentance is having a change of mind and heart. It is more than just acknowledging and confessing sins with a promise to do better next time. It is having a deep desire to truly be different from now on. It is grieving over sin because you love God and care about the effect it has on him.
Psalms 51:17

True repentance is filled with earnestness. This is because we have a feeling of urgency to restore our relationship with God. True repentance knows the seriousness of sin and is eager to deal with it immediately and appropriately according to Biblical instructions. When you are truly repentant, you desire to be known for the righteousness of Christ because you represent Jesus and don't want to bring reproach upon his good name. True repentance is marked by a passion to remove sin from our lives, to make wrongs right, and to change one’s self.

A great example of Godly sorrow leading to repentance would be the story of Peter. When he realized what he had done, he had Godly sorrow for his sin of denying Christ and went out and wept bitterly. He grieved over his sin. Then he went on to become the head of the church.
Luke 22:54-62

Godly sorrow pushes you into the loving arms of God. It involves the whole being, intellect, and emotions. It results in change. Godly sorrow has faith in the sufficiency of Jesus’ sacrifice for all sins. It produces life and leads to eternal salvation. It rests in the grace of God. Godly sorrow sincerely desires to return to healthy ways of relating to God and others. However, it doesn't seek to please people. It doesn't hang on to guilt. It doesn't seek perfectionism. It pursues the grace and love and forgiveness of God.
1 John 1:9

Godly sorrow allows us to see ourselves and sin the way God sees them. It doesn't produce hopeless condemnation. It leads us away from sin and back into the arms of God to find grace in our time of need.
Romans 8:13-15

With Godly sorrow, there is hope. It produces earnestness, zeal, alarm, a desire to clear yourself, a righteous indignation towards self, a longing to be in God's presence, a readiness to punish wrong, doing what is necessary to make things right, reconciliation of relationships, peace with God, conviction of sin, and confession with true repentance. It leaves no regret. It is only painful for a little while.
Psalms 30:5

Godly sorrow is a good thing. It is not something to be avoided. It should be desired and cultivated. Godly sorrow is the type of sorrow God himself feels. It drives us to show grace and mercy to others. It pushes us to God and not away from him.
Psalms 94:14-18
Jeremiah 29:11-13

David displays Godly sorrow in Psalms 51 and demonstrates true repentance.
Psalm 51

Godly sorrow always produces a true change of heart (repentance) and leaves no cause for regret. It leaves no reason to hang onto guilt. It is not annoyed with rebuke. It leads to diligence in seeking atonement, clearing one’s self, fear, vehement desire to change, vindication, zeal, resolve, and determination.
Acts 3:19-20

The Kingdom of Heaven

We must be poor in spirit to be eligible for the kingdom of Heaven. We must humble ourselves before Almighty God. We must truly be sorrowful for our sins enough to repent and change our sinful ways. We must desire from the heart to please God. This means everyone who enters Heaven is poor in spirit.
Isaiah 66:2

The kingdom of heaven rejoices when a person repents with Godly sorrow.
Luke 15:7
James 5:19-20


The following are some character traits of those who are poor in spirit:

✔️They are lowly in their own eyes.
✔️They don't exalt themselves.
✔️They are not proud.
✔️They love to hide good deeds without honor from men.
Matthew 6:1-4
✔️They give their advantages for the benefit of others.
Philippians 2:4
✔️They are reserved in conduct, neither aggressive or demanding.
✔️They don't seek to gain influence with people.
1 Corinthians 2:1-5
✔️Time is precious to them.
Ephesians 5:16-17
✔️They sanctify themselves.
John 17:19
1 Timothy 4:16
✔️They deny themselves and take up their cross to follow Jesus.
Matthew 16:24
✔️They don't withdraw from the sufferings of Christ.
Romans 8:16-18
✔️They don't discriminate.
Mark 9:35
1 Corinthians 9:19
Romans 12:16
✔️They live their life as a sacrifice.
Mark 10:45
John 15:12-13
✔️They listen to God's voice.
James 1:22

The elements of true repentance is recognizing sin and its consequences on others, Godly sorrow, and a change of heart and mind. This results in a changed life. A changed life involves turning from evil, ceasing sin, restitution when possible, fruits of repentance, and a longing for forgiveness.

Psalms 32 speaks in the perfect contrast of Worldly and Godly sorrow. Now that we have studied this subject, why don't you read through this Psalm and see if you can pick out the indicators of Worldly and Godly sorrow.

Psalms 32


1 Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.

2 Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.

3 When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.

4 For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah.

5 I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

6 For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him.

7 Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.

8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

9 Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee.

10 Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the Lord, mercy shall compass him about.

11 Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.

Resources

a signature image created for Marvelous Friend
"I am a Rising Star!" glass image.

© Copyright 2021 Marvelous Friend (UN: pickmarvilla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Marvelous Friend has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1017295-Blessed-to-Be-Spiritually-Poor