*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
4
5
6
9
13
16
17
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1017700-The-Honeymoon-is-Over-Baby
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #2258138
This is my blog & my hope, writing daily will help me see my progress and log supporters.
#1017700 added September 19, 2021 at 6:27am
Restrictions: None
The Honeymoon is Over Baby
Plans are merely a guide and should never be set in concrete.

When the wind blows, a tree's strength is not in the concentricity, but the flexibility of its branches and trunk, and so, plans should allow for the unexpected or circumstances unforeseen.

I have been driven since I stopped using meth...exercising every day except for one in the past few weeks. I have done this because I need to keep my mind off drugs, to regain the strength I have lost, and as part of my therapy...gaining back hormones depleted by my continued bombardment of the drug on the part of my brain which controls the release of Dopamine. When this happens over a long period, sudden withdrawal and continued abstinence can cause depression-like symptoms and are a big part of why so many users (up to an incredible 90% within the first 12 months) relapse.

Today...the honeymoon ended for me, and I had my first taste of reality without meth to prop me up as a coping mechanism. I was down, and things began to get on top of me. I felt tired and flat and so, rather than use drugs or feel sorry for myself because 'I can't', I decided instead to be kind to myself.

I should have done a workout today, but in the afternoon, I watched a little TV before I fell asleep for an hour or so. When I awoke, there was no guilt because I did not train, and relief that I didn't go back to my old ways and score to stop the feeling of darkness, which had by this time disappeared. I understand it will return, but also that over time will become less and less of a problem.

The plan I had, called for all it did, but I make the decisions on a day to day basis, and today, I decided to give myself a break.

Today, I did not use drugs...and nobody is happier than I am to say that.

© Copyright 2021 Dr Gonzo (UN: neilfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Gonzo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1017700-The-Honeymoon-is-Over-Baby