*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1017783-Hunger-Pangs
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#1017783 added September 20, 2021 at 8:31pm
Restrictions: None
Hunger Pangs
PROMPT September 20th

No one knows you can't afford food. You do not want your co-workers or neighbors to know. How do you manage? Do you go to a local food bank? Maybe visit a good friend(s) at the right time (Dinner time)? Do you somehow scrounge for leftover or unwanted food?
         
         
         
         
         So, I'm destitute? For some reason I cannot afford to buy food? I'm in danger of going hungry? What's happened? Why if this is true am I wasting time asking questions and not seeking the source of my next meal?
         I suppose I need to scavenge, but this is not the greatest time of year to realize I did not plant a garden. Already the frost has returned. Most veggie plots have likely been emptied and their goodies harvested. Perhaps I could offer to help an elderly farmer / gardener tidy up their holding in exchange for a few of the leftovers. I'd gratefully accept the wizened carrots, the spotted potatoes, the wrinkled onions, the teeny tiny turnips and the pale unpopular parsnips. Surely there must be some root veggies left to uncover.
         I might meander into a local orchard and volunteer to pick apples as trade for a personal basket. They keep fresh for a while. There'd be one huge benefit to eating raw. None of the nutrients would be cooked / leached from my 'pay.' I assume I'd have no baking ingredients to whip up a mouth-watering pie, or an apple crisp.
         Hmm, I believe it's pumpkin season at the moment and while I do enjoy its flavour I've never eaten one uncooked before. I'm salivating over memories of warm pumpkin pie. If I could roll one home, I'd add it to the veggies to create a vegan stew.
          If I really needed sustenance, I could approach a market vendor at end of day and ask for the remaining wares as feed for my fictional bunny. Nobody wants to see a pet starve. My sister once approached a grocer and asked for the spoiled lettuce and such for her living, breathing bunny. I'm hiding my need, right?
         As I understand it anyone is supposed to be able to access a foodbank without any questions. We also wear masks when inside a building, or in the company of others, so my identity could remain secret. I really am not a picky eater and I'd be most grateful for anything donated to my well-being. Would the number of people waiting in line surprise me?
         I could wrangle an invitation to supper at my sister's. We usually get lost in our chinwags and the food is secondary. If I'm lucky enough to be served one of her homemade soups, I'll be offered a mason jar full to take home with me. The brother-in-law doesn't like soups and Sherry cooks enough for an army.
         I've been invited to my niece's wedding. I'll chow down with the other guests at the reception. Hey, might I crash other weddings in search of a meal?
         With these plans / alternatives I'm not quite ready to try dumpster diving. The regular scroungers may not be too willing to share their spoils. They're a tough crew and I do not relish having my eyes scratched out. Bears and raccoons can be such animals.

© Copyright 2021 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1017783-Hunger-Pangs