*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1017929-Beneficial-Truths
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#1017929 added September 23, 2021 at 4:10pm
Restrictions: None
Beneficial Truths
PROMPT September 23rd

What life lessons do you believe everyone can benefit from learning?
         
         
         
         The journey of life certainly has its pitfalls. All of us I dare say blunder along most of the time in a perpetual loop of learning. Sometimes we hang on tight as we hurtle at g-force down a rollercoaster. Other times we sway with vertigo as if trapped in the spin cycle of a washer. Occasionally we hesitate on the ledge of a high rise's roof. At times we are paralyzed and pulled bit by agonizing bit into a mud hole. Eureka moments strike as if dazzling bolts of lightning. Deja vu haunts and chastises us.
         These are my words of wisdom / experience or whatever. Make of them what you will. Some I still struggle with. Some of them marked me for life.
         Lesson #1 : Since my youngest grand giggle at two and a half is at an impressionable stage in her development I feel I must pass on this hard-won truth. I know she'll thank me for it later. Never, ever under any circumstances stand , or walk behind an occupied moving swing. She may be a bit too young to appreciate the laws of physics, but I now know that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Physical stature is of no consequence. That arcing swing is a great equalizer.
         Lesson #2 : Always, always tie your shoe laces. It is most unfortunate when a dangling lace entangles in a bike's chain. Some might say disastrous. Loose flopping laces are attracted to moving machinery like an escalator. They lie in wait to trip the unsuspecting climber while scaling, or descending stair cases. They prove irresistible to slobbering, chewing dogs. I might even suggest a double, or triple knot to rein in errant laces.
         Lesson #3:Nowhere is it etched in stone that you must accept a double dare. The same applies to a triple-dog-dare. The world will not spin off its axis if you refuse. A giant yawning hole will not open up and swallow you whole. You may just save yourself a trip to the emergency room and preserve vital body parts. Your future aging person may thank you.
         Lesson #4:Listen to that little nagging voice warning you something is probably not a good idea. Trust that gut feeling, that intuition. Believe it or not, your mother had the right idea when she advised you not to jump off a bridge because everyone was doing it. There's a difference between risk and insanity, thrill and achievement. Look and consider before you leap. What's a few more minutes in the scheme of things?
         Lesson #5:If someone yells, "Watch this!", pay attention. Witnesses are always needed to verify a feat, or provide first aid, or dial 911.
         Lesson #6: Do not, I repeat do not stick your tongue out at your brother, the brother who chased you through the yard threatening to kill you, after you scoot into the kitchen, slam and lock the door, and taunt him supposedly trapped outside. Why assume you are safe and he is helpless to retaliate? You are asking for it as in a consequence, a bit of justice. Oh, and a glass window in a door is no match for that brother's fury, or his fist. Siblings may well be surprising.
          Lesson #7: Never ever press a big red button centered amongst the words DO NOT TOUCH. Yes, I know it is tempting, but resist that curiosity. Ear-splitting sirens will screech. Bright lights will strobe and flash. Shouting perspiring people will appear and mingle nearby. Oh, and the escalator will groan to a sudden stop.
         Lesson #8: Have you not heard of Murphy's Law? This aggravating maxim applies most strongly to mothers of young children. If anything can go wrong, it will. Children are nothing if not unpredictable. The moment you make that decision to not pack, or carry something with you you will need it. Convincing yourself that a ten-minute drive across town does not warrant bringing a fresh diaper and hundreds of cleaning wipes is the exact moment your baby experiences explosive diarrhea. Daring to venture out to the park sans a complete first aid kit in tow is the time your toddler tumbles, spies a tiny drop of bright red blood on their exposed knee cap, and screams that he wants a bandage. He will be inconsolable without that magic wound cover. Mothers be prepared.

© Copyright 2021 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1017929-Beneficial-Truths