*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1019022-October-9th---Saturday---Protagonist-Background-Story
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #2259195
To keep all documents relating to the October Preparation Challenge for NaNoWriMo
#1019022 added October 9, 2021 at 3:57pm
Restrictions: None
October 9th - Saturday - Protagonist Background Story.
Spring, after a wet start, had finally warmed up to the point where being out of doors could be pleasurable again. Queen Katherine had decided to take advantage of this, feeling the need to get some fresh air and sunshine.

The castle at Beeston stood atop a hill, overlooking the Cheshire plain. At some distance from the walls, there were arranged several thick rugs. The Queen was sitting with Boudica, her ten year old daughter, and Bridget, who was Boudica's best friend, and near constant companion. Bridget was a dwarf, and the daughter of Will Sommers, the King's favourite fool. The only acknowledgment of this fact that Boudica gave, was that when Bridget teasingly called her 'Treetops', Boudica would called her 'Roots' in response. The two children loved each other dearly.

Nearby squatted Dafydd Morus. He was staring at Boudica, and Queen Katherine hid a smile. His expression had puppy love written all over it. Boudica herself was oblivious to Dafydd. As usual, she had insisted on bringing along several books, which were spread around her, some open at particularly important bits. The largest, a copy of Herodotus' Histories she held in front of her. From the side Katherine could see Boudica's little mouth set straight, and her look of intense concentration.

Bridget had brought just one book, a Welsh language compilation of poetry, which she had read for a while before dozing off, curled up against the trunk of a beech tree.

"Dafydd" The Queen said quietly, and beckoned him over.

"Why don't you pick some flowers? She suggested, giving the lad a warm smile. She felt rather sorry for Dafydd. Less than two years ago his father had died, leaving his wife and young son in the care of the Llewellyn family, his cousins. From bits and pieces she had heard, the child's life was rather wretched, and he was bullied, especially by Pawl Llewellyn, who was a year older than Dafydd.

The boy smiled back at the Queen, pleased at the suggestion.

"Yes Queen Katherine."

He wandered away towards a promising patch of grass and wildflowers. Katherine watched him go, and saw Prince Edward, Boudica's half brother, several years her senior. He was talking animatedly to Eleanor Ffitzjohn.

Spring is in the air. Thought Katherine, and decided that she would mention their seemingly mutual interest to her husband.

"Mother?"

Katherine turned her attention back to Boudica, who was staring at something, though Katherine couldn't see what. Hearing the questioning tone, she replied,

"What is it dear?"

"Who is that lady?" Boudica now looked at her mother and pointed in front of her.

Queen Katherine could see no one there. She looked uncertainly at Boudica.

"I can't see her dear, what does she look like?"

It was not entirely unexpected that Boudica should see things that most others couldn't, with her lineage it was a strong possibility that she would possess psychic abilities. What worried Katherine a little was that Boudica was so young.

"She's." Boudica paused, obviously struggling to find suitable words.

"She's sort of clear, I can see through her, but she's there and she's slim and beautiful."

A breeze swept through them, and the pages of Boudica's books flipped and turned.

Boudica looked down at the one to her right. Her green eyes widened.

"I think she is a Sylph, Mother."

The elemental creature turned and danced in front of Boudica, then darted forwards and grabbed her hand. She pulled, and Boudica heard a loud crack, then to her surprise looked down and saw herself flop back onto the rug, her copper hair spread around her. Her expression, both the body lying on the rug, and her spirit form now rising rapidly with the Sylph's hand pulling her upward, bore an expression of surprise. Her mouth was a perfect 'O' of astonishment.

At that moment Dafydd came up with a bunch of flowers.

"Dafydd." The Queen shouted urgently. "Run and fetch William Cecil. Quickly!"

The boy hesitated only a moment, then dropped the flowers and hared off towards the castle. Edward and Eleanor were coming up the gentle slope to see what was the matter, and Bridget was now wide awake and looking at Boudica with consternation.

Boudica meanwhile had recovered enough from the initial shock to start shouting at the Sylph, telling her to stop, and that she needed to get back in her body. The Sylph paused, and they hovered in the air. Boudica noticed that the wind was blowing right through her, and that it felt really strange, but oddly pleasant.

"Don't be afraid." Boudica heard the words in her head, but she had no doubt that it was the Sylph who had spoken.

"You are quite safe, and I will take you back soon, but first I want to show you something."

Boudica was intrigued, despite herself.

"Show me what?" she enquired.

"Have you ever heard of castles in the air?"

"Yes." Boudica responded.

"Well I'm going to show you a whole city in the air. We are nearly there already."

"Mother and Bridget will be worried sick." said Boudica uncertainly. She knew that she wanted to see the city now.

"We will not be long, and you will be unharmed. Your mother has called for help, she will be fine."

"And what about Bridget?"

"All will be well, you'll see." The voice in Boudica's head was light and somehow suggested space and light and movement.

"Look, we are approaching the city now."

Below her spirit form Boudica could see fields of flowers and greenery. She breathed in deeply, or at least, she thought that she must have, despite not having her actual body at the moment The air was filled with scents. Floral scents, spicy scents, the smell of greenery, fresh and inviting.

In the near distance she could see a walled city. It was built of tall elegant buildings with a great many towers and windows. They were rapidly floating towards it.

"This is the City of Guthrie. It is a place of music, come I will show you."

The Sylph pulled Boudica to a large garden, surrounded by towers. They stopped, and Boudica, who analysed everything noted that in her spirit form she neither sat nor stood, instead she hovered. It seemed natural.

"Listen, it is about to begin."

Boudica listened, and looked around attentively. Immediately she noticed that the windows in the towers all had shutters. Many were closed, and in those that were open, she could see someone holding a shutter. Several doors were open, and in each doorway she could see a figure.

Then she could hear the music. It started low, but built up quickly, layer upon layer of sound. It was stately and sounded grand and somehow spacious.

Boudica quickly noticed that window shutters, and doors were being opened and closed all around her.

The buildings are making the music. She thought, spellbound at both the beauty of the music, unlike anything she had heard before, and the ingenious way that it was being created, using doors and windows to change the notes.

The music swelled around her, and she could feel it, in some way that she couldn't describe, it felt as though she was the music somehow.

When it ended, Boudica had tears in her eyes. Blinking, she wondered how that was even possible.

"Come, meet a Composer."

Boudica felt herself tugged along lightly, and soon she was standing on a circular dais. In front of her was a creature. She wasn't sure what it was, it looked a bit like a very tall thin man, but something about the figure suggested birds. The eyes were dark, and when Boudica caught the creature's eye, she felt it's keen intelligence, and it's skill as a Composer. Somehow she could see its music as a part of it. Instinctively she curtseyed very low. The Composer gave her a nod of acknowledgement.

"Come, I will show you the Summoners."

Again the Sylph pulled Boudica upwards, towards the highest towers.

When they alighted, it was in the roof of one of the higher towers, which was many feet across. In the centre were several different creatures. They looked similar to the Composer, but were somehow female, as it had felt masculine to Boudica. She had no idea why she felt these things, but knew them to be true.

As she watched, the Summoners raised their long wing like arms, and waved them gently about. Immediately Boudica felt winds and breezes responding. They danced hither and thither at the obvious command of the Summoners, and again Boudica was treated to the music of Guthrie.

When once more all was still, the Sylph spoke again.

"We must return."

"No. I want to try."

Boudica was surprised to find that she was able to resist the Sylph's pull, and remained on the roof. Raising her arms above her she also found that she knew how to speak without words.

"Come." She commanded.

As the Sylph watched, Boudica's pupils grew, until her eyes were completely black. Then the wind came. It was fast and powerful, it roared and rushed through the City of Guthrie. Doors and windows were pulled open or slammed shut by the wind.

The music Boudica made sounded like every march and anthem in the world had been distilled into one. It was joyous and powerful. The City was stunned, every creature within its walls was entranced, and uplifted.

Boudica brought the music to a crescendo, and then let it softly ebb away. All was still.

"That was fun." Her small face was light up with her smile.

"Now I'm going back home. Thank you."

Boudica heard another loud crack, and she opened her eyes to see Bridget staring down at her.

"She's awake." Bridget shrilled.



Word count 1,630
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1019022-October-9th---Saturday---Protagonist-Background-Story