*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1019493-October-16th---Saturday---Antagonists-Back-Story
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #2259195
To keep all documents relating to the October Preparation Challenge for NaNoWriMo
#1019493 added October 18, 2021 at 5:13am
Restrictions: None
October 16th - Saturday - Antagonist's Back Story
The priest was climbing up the winding stairs of a tower. His progress was slow, for he felt precarious, and his sandals kept slipping on the well worn steps. He was very high up, through narrow windows set at intervals into the thick stone walls, he kept glimpsing the long, long drop to the ground. A wave of nausea swept through him, sitting down abruptly on the stairs, he clung to them. He had never liked heights.

It was then that he noticed that there was a gap in the stairs ahead of him. A low moan of fear escaped his lips as he contemplated this dilemma. The gap was not that wide, and to leap, or even step, over it seemed possible. But there was the drop, that sickening, long drop, and he feared to even try.

It was no use, he'd have to go back. Turning his head he looked down the stairs. To his horror, he saw that some of the stairs he had just clambered up, were now gone. He was trapped. His fingers and arms were already aching from gripping to the stonework so tightly.

Iliaster!

The voice was loud in his ears. Jerking awake, he sat upright on the low pallet that he'd been sleeping on. He inhaled deeply, his mouth was dry, and he could feel his heartbeat pounding in his chest. A moment's confusion, as he realised that he'd been dreaming. The voice had sounded familiar, his father's perhaps?

Then Iliaster coughed, as the smoke he'd sucked in found his lungs.

Smoke!

He looked towards the badly fitting door, and saw smoke rolling under it and into the dormitory. Worse, he could see the orange flicker of flames beyond the smoke, and heard an ominous hissing.

"Fire." He shouted as loud as he could, and again "Fire."

His fellow priests were awakened and panic took hold. The door represented their only exit, and beyond it a fire was clearly well established. Smoke filled the room making them choke as they screamed and shouted their communal distress.

"Come on, we must brave it." Iliaster yelled. and strode to the door, pulling it open before anyone could intervene.

The fire roared it's irritation at being disturbed, and angry flames swept torwards him. The heat nearly knocked him down. The passage that led to the outside door and escape could have been a corridor in Hades. Smoke stung his eyes, and the inferno tore at his breath.

Instinctively Iliaster waved his arms before him protectively. To his astonishment, the flames flattened themselves against the walls, leaving a gap, a passageway through.

"Come on." Iliaster boomed, "Now. Come on." His tone was imperative.

Running forwards, still sweeping his arms, Iliaster reached the heavy outer door, which was already blackened and charred. Behind him his brothers followed, running through the miraculous tunnel cut through the fire. Iliaster grabbed the latch, and pulled the door open. As his companions surged forwards, Iliaster was propelled through the doorway and into the cold night air.

Once clear of the fire, Iliaster collapsed on the ground, coughing and gasping gratefully. When he thought to look at his hands, expecting them to be burned by the heated metal of the latch, he was perplexed to see that they were untouched.

Looking around at the others, he quickly noticed that relief had already given way to distrust. Several of the others were whispering together, and staring at him. In their eyes he saw fear. He would have to move on, and quickly. Once again his powers had given him away. To be called a witch would be fatal, and Iliaster had no desire to die.

He was not quick enough. One his fellow priests, he did not see which one, struck him with the flat of a sword, and Iliaster sank into unconsciousness. When he awoke some time later, he inferred that he was locked in one of the many root cellars, as there was a strong odour of cabbages. The darkness was total. It was hard to feel anything other than despair.

_____


To: My most excellent brother Heliodromus Bernardo Filippo Bruno.
From: Your obedient servant Perses Giovanni Bibbiena.

You wrote to me recently advising me to be watchful of those in my care, lest any amongst them should prove to be false, and practitioners of witchcraft and other dark arts. Further to bring to your attention immediately any such person or persons.

It is indeed fortunate that you did, for this very week a demon in human form revealed himself to us. This most malicious creature calls himself Iliaster da Ragusa, and he commands the very fires of Hades. On Monday night this fiend burned down a dormitory and the adjacent kitchens. Several brothers have attested that they saw him commanding the flames, and walked amongst them unscathed. Some say his eyes were filled with black coals, and his very breath was fiery.

Bravely they relied upon Mithras to protect them, and were able to subdue this witch. I should have ordered his immediate execution but for your letter. Instead we have him close confined, and I have so ordered that he be soaked most thoroughly every hour, to prevent him from making any escape using his evil magics.

I await your further instructions brother.


_____



Iliaster was dragged into the small audience chamber by four armed guards, and dropped in the centre. His wrists and ankles were both shackled, and these shackles were linked together by a short chain, making it near impossible for him to move unaided. His tunic and pants were dark, the material soaking wet. Dirty and dishevelled, Iliaster lay on the ground, his mouth moved uncontrollably, teeth chattering. His body shivered making him cry and whimper pathetically.

"Leave us." Bernardo commanded. The guards obeyed promptly, leaving Iliaster alone with the Heliodromus.

Bruno moved his chair close to the prisoner.
"Attend me Iliaster." Bruno looked down dispassionately.

"I have heard much about your evil Iliaster. I could have to tortured."

As he spoke, Bruno watched the figure closely, studying him. Despite his present inability to control his limbs, Iliaster was listening, dark eyes focused and staring back at Bruno.

"I could order your journey to death be long and arduous, and painful. You would weep for death, beg and plead for Mors1 to release you from your torment. This is in my power. You have been denounced by your fellows as a witch or a demon."

Bruno bent low.

"Understand Iliaster, that your innocence or guilt is of no matter now. Neither confessing your evil, nor professing your innocence will sway me."

Bernardo Bruno stood and walked around the chamber, letting his words sink in. Kneeling, he pulled Iliaster up, so that he was seated, and dragged the man nearer the fire, lying him in front of it.

Iliaster groaned, and wriggled nearer to the welcome warmth.

"I have been looking for someone Iliaster. Someone who will work for me in secret. Someone who is gifted in certain ways, who can do things that are usually called witchcraft. I am not stupid Iliaster, this last month I have had you investigated very thoroughly. Always moving on, never making friends, the strange circumstances surrounding you."

Iliaster's clothes began to steam.

"I was told that you can command flames. Is this true?"

Speak true.

It was clear that Bruno had not spoken this last, for the voice was the same that had woken him on the night of the fire.

"I do not know Master, but I would be dead if they had not shrunk back from me." Iliaster stuttered badly from the chill of his body, but Bernardo Bruno seemed to reach a decision. He summoned the guards to strike the shackles from Iliaster, and to bring him dry clothing and some food.

"We will talk further Iliaster, when you have recovered control of your limbs. I will expect you to speak honestly. If you lie, I shall have you tortured to death. Deal with me honestly and be my servant, and your life might be considerably more comfortable that it has been hereto."

Word Count: 1,356


Note:
1) Mors is the Roman personification of Death.
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1019493-October-16th---Saturday---Antagonists-Back-Story