*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1019700-Oct-20-Literary-devices
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2094067
Challenges and activities
#1019700 added October 20, 2021 at 5:49am
Restrictions: None
Oct 20 Literary devices


Oct. 20: - Plot: Literary Devices ▼

(1) Brainstorm possible solutions to your conflict and complications using the list of literary devices below or your own ideas.
(2) Identify a mentor or helper who aids the protagonist(s) in achieving their goals.
(3) Identify any other literary devices from the list you could use to enhance your writing.

Literary Devices List
*Bullet* Foreshadowing: Hints of something to come.
*Bullet* Chekhov's Gun: The gun on the wall in Scene 1 is eventually fired.
*Bullet* Repetitive Designation: An object or fact appears over and over.
*Bullet* Symbolism: Small facts, objects, or characterizations represent something bigger.
*Bullet* Self-fulfilling prophecy: Protagonist attempts to thwart prophecy but in attempting, fulfills it.
*Bullet* Poetic Justice: Good guys are rewarded and bad guys are punished.
*Bullet* Plot Twist: Surprises the reader with something unexpected.
*Bullet* False Protagonist: The protagonist dies or turns out to be something other than the protagonist.
*Bullet* Red Herring: A false trail diverts the reader's attention from what really happened.
*Bullet* Unreliable Narrator: The narrator has been misleading the reader all along.
*Bullet* Irony: The exact opposite of what the reader expects happens.
*Bullet* Reveal: A hidden connection between characters or facts is revealed in time.
*Bullet* Plot Device: Advances the plot forward, often pushing the main character past a hurdle.
*Bullet* Object of Power: Either the protagonist wants it, or the object drives the plot of its own accord.
*Bullet* MacGuffin: Something the protagonist wants for unknown and unimportant reasons.
*Bullet* Quibble: Following the letter of the law, contract, or agreement instead of its intent, changing the outcome.
*Bullet* Narrative Hook: Story opening that grab's the reader's attention.
*Bullet* Cliffhanger: Ending a scene, chapter or story in the middle of action, hooking the reader.
*Bullet* Ticking Clock Scenario: The threat of impending doom if the protagonist's objective is not met.
*Bullet* Breaking the Fourth Wall: A character speaks directly to the reader.
*Bullet* Or anything from this list: http://literary-devices.com/


(3) I would add CONFLICT: It is a literary device used for expressing a resistance the protagonist of the story finds in achieving his aims or dreams. The conflict is a discord that can have external aggressors or can even arise from within the self. It can occur when the subject is battling his inner discord, at odds with his surroundings or it may be pitted against others in the story. – The conflict between The Book and the rest; The main characters and the monsters; Wolf and Poppy.

JUXTAPOSITION: Juxtaposition is a literary device wherein the author places a person, concept, place, idea or theme parallel to another. The purpose of juxtaposing two directly or indirectly related entities close together in literature is to highlight the contrast between the two and compare them. This literary device is usually used for etching out a character in detail, creating suspense or lending a rhetorical effect. – The story as it unfoldes and the chapters on the Book Shanhaijing intertwine.

MOTIF: The literary device ‘motif’ is any element, subject, idea or concept that is constantly present through the entire body of literature. Using a motif refers to the repetition of a specific theme dominating the literary work. Motifs are very noticeable and play a significant role in defining the nature of the story, the course of events and the very fabric of the literary piece. – The Book Shanhaijing.

(1)I would want to use these literary devices:
Foreshadowing: Hints of something to come. In the auction: hints of something big happening; the mysterious phenomenons are a hint that things are dangerous
Chekhov's Gun: The gun on the wall in Scene 1 is eventually fired. Wolf’s hangup with dishonesty. At the end he is deceived big time by Poppy.
Repetitive Designation: An object or fact appears over and over. The Book Shanhaijing appears over and over throughout the novel.
Symbolism: Small facts, objects, or characterizations represent something bigger. Don’t know yet, but I am gonna use this one.
Poetic Justice: Good guys are rewarded and bad guys are punished. Am not sure yet if I want my story to end good or bad.
Plot Twist: Surprises the reader with something unexpected. Poppy is an ancient monster from the Book.
Red Herring: A false trail diverts the reader's attention from what really happened. I am gonna use this one, don’t know yet where!
Unreliable Narrator: The narrator has been misleading the reader all along. In the end when Poppy is the antagonist.
Object of Power: Either the protagonist wants it, or the object drives the plot of its own accord. Both, this is the Book Shanhaijing.
Narrative Hook: Story opening that grab's the reader's attention. Wolf’s night job as a male escort.
Cliffhanger: Ending a scene, chapter or story in the middle of action, hooking the reader. Hopefully every chapter.
Ticking Clock Scenario: The threat of impending doom if the protagonist's objective is not met. Will Los Angeles be saved in time?

(2) In China I introduce Professor Xiao Tan of the Beijing University who is going to help Wolf and Poppy with the Book and fighting off those ancient monsters.





© Copyright 2021 WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024 (UN: wiesblaize at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1019700-Oct-20-Literary-devices