*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1019729-Plot-Literary-Devices
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Family · #2259320
After years of ministry in South America, Azul returns home for her last days.
#1019729 added October 20, 2021 at 4:27pm
Restrictions: None
Plot: Literary Devices
Azul has spent much of her ministry life leaning on the arm of her strong husband/preacher, Fuerza, but now that he is dead, Azul has to learn how to be strong without his support.

She thinks back upon the years before he died, and realizes, that Sol Verdad had given her hints, that she would need to learn how to be strong with His Help, not Fuerza's. (Use the device of Foreshadowing to highlight the keys in these memories.)

Looking at Fuerza's Bible with his name engraved on the front always precedes the appearance of Sol Verdad, who gives her further direction in life, and on her path toward home. (This is Repetitive Designation or possibly Object of Power.)

Sol Verdad is Azul's very real mentor, but only she can see Him consistently in much the same way, that she alone sees Oscuro Personal (aka "Oscar") most of the time. This sets up a quasi-homage to the angel and the devil on opposite shoulders of the protagonist in old cartoons. However, instead of being the tiny little figures, that sometimes interact with each other, these individuals are full-sized, and conflict is handled from two different perspectives. Oscar is always antsy because he realizes he is the weaker of the two. Sol is always confident because He knows He has won before the contest even begins.

Victoria Salud is the friend, that others can see. Azul needs a coffee-drinking partner and a personal counselor, and Victoria certainly "fills the bill." However, that is only as long as Azul is still in Paraguay. Victoria helps her talk through and process all of the emotions and grief of losing Fuerza as well as figuring out what to do with the twists and turns at the airport, but she stays in Paraguay when Azul finally does leave for The States. Then what? Then Who? Sol becomes her ever-present Friend and Counselor for sure.

It could be helpful to look for some Symbolism, and some sort of Plot Twist, but for now I'm not sure what either of these would be.

Azul is very "by-the-Book." Therefore, Quibble is a possibility itself. Maybe she continues to try to live the perfect Christian life, while the Lord is teaching her through the journey, that he has her back, and that her perfectionism could still lead her astray were it not for the fact, that He overrules in the affairs of men and women, accomplishing His Purpose, even in the midst of our humanness. (Philippians 2:13)


by Jay O’Toole
on October 20th, 2021


Here is yet another signature, that has been provided for me by my good friends, WS & GG.
Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
© Copyright 2021 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1019729-Plot-Literary-Devices