*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021015-Harlem-100
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#1021015 added December 1, 2021 at 1:15pm
Restrictions: None
Harlem 100
         Just saw Harlem 100 in my town last night. Too bad, all the seats weren't filled. Toe tapping, shoulder swaying, brief nostalgic trip down blues/jazz history. The group paid tribute to the cultural contributions of black people to the world over the last 100 years plus.

         Normally, pre-Age of Covid, they would have school groups take field trips to their venue for a more educational review of history and Harlem specifically and then do a public show at night. We only had the public show, wo they worked a little history into the talk. They really celebrated the black woman and the hard role she has filled. We had selections from Bessie Smith, Billie Holiday, Ethel Waters, and Marian Anderson.

         It was a total show, from the way they played musical instruments, sang and moved together. They had regular table lamps on stage, reminiscent of the 1920's that pulsated off and on to the beat of certain songs. The lead singer did some eye catching footwork. He was from Sierra Leone; one was from South Africa, but all now live in or around Harlem to soak up the atmosphere.

         If you are fortunate enough to have them arrive in your town, by all means, go and take some friends. You will love the show and be inspired by their story. It's less than two hours of total inspiration and fun.

© Copyright 2021 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021015-Harlem-100