*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022360-November-26-2021
Rated: ASR · Book · Biographical · #2260833
Blog attempt 1.
#1022360 added November 26, 2021 at 9:34pm
Restrictions: None
November 26, 2021
PROMPT November 26th

Today is Thanksgiving here in the United States. I know this is the prompt for tomorrow, but I'm going to give you something to be thankful for. The prompt for tonight is to be yourself. Write whatever is on your mind. Provide your own prompt, so-to-speak. I look forward to reading your posts!



A good deed had finally gone unpunished for Raen, well, that happened a lot for her. She rescued people and her life invariably got better. This time she had rescued Maku's reputation by finding the basuram shipment. Her reward? Raen was a masterjourneywoman in the Baerd Guild and had accrued affiliations with six other trade and commerce guilds. It was enough to catapult her status to a certified independent courier. That led to her current circumstances.

"This will be perfect Miss Hazel!" Raen smiled at the landlady as she opened the door to the small closet of a room equipped with a bed and a dresser.

"I know it's small dear, as soon as one of the larger rooms opens up I will be happy to offer it to you. Your credentials are impeccable. You have more references than any of my other guests. The women's bathroom is down the hall, and towels are found in the closet next to the bathroom. I do request you dress and undress in the bathroom when you shower so don't forget your fresh clothing. Slippers are required in the building. I generally require my guests to leave their shoes in the entryway." Miss Hazel handed Raen a stack of bedding. "Breakfast is at seven, the morning bell is at six-fifteen though I would recommend getting and setting an earlier alarm if you want to be first to the showers."

Raen nodded at the rapid influx of information. She laid the bedding on the small bed and retrieved a fifty chit coin from her satchel. She laid it reluctantly on Miss Hazel's palm. It was the first time she had paid for her own room. She felt the electric thrill of independence alongside the icy stab of responsibility.

Miss Hazel checked the coin for validity and then laid the key to the room on Raen's palm. "See you tomorrow morning."

Raen tucked the key in the pocket of her satchel. Then she made the bed. When she was finished she sat on the foot of the bed. She should return to the guildhall and get the rest of her things. She didn't own much, a few outfits, a few books, and the satchel Honor Baggood had given her. Then she should check in with the appropriate dispatch forums to find a paying job. Raen felt very little like doing what she should. She still had substantial savings from her finder's bonus on the basuram shipment. She had enough to live on for months.

She didn't know what to do now. Raen thought about her friends still on the street. She was officially a citizen, no longer among the nameless worthless poor. She had guild affiliations, people would notice if she disappeared. That wasn't true for many of the street kids. She wished she could do something for them, that she could just hand out a valuable affiliation badge to them. They went missing, were sold, jailed, murdered because no one acknowledged them. Raen needed a business license so she could hire the street kids and give them badges that would mark their worth to the seedy underworld.

Raen pulled out her Baerd-issued com-pad. She searched the price for what she needed. It would be at least two-thousand chits to buy a business license and fifty chits to register for each badge she issued. Right now she didn't have enough to do it and still have enough to live on herself, but with some work... Raen did some conservative calculations, she could manage it within five years.

Raen logged into her banking app and transferred two-thirds of her account into long-term savings, a move that meant her money would work towards her goal for her. Raen laid back on her bed and chuckled to herself at her new life plan. It didn't even occur to her that as a business owner eventually, she wouldn't have to do the leg work anymore. This wouldn't just change the lives of numerous street kids, but also her own.







© Copyright 2021 Bunny Sox (UN: rinsoxy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Bunny Sox has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022360-November-26-2021