*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
9
10
12
17
24
27
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1024492-Dighten-Rock-Day-two-Blog-Monkey-Challenge
by Sumojo
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2186156
The simplicity of my day to day.
#1024492 added January 12, 2022 at 4:58pm
Restrictions: None
Dighten Rock Day two Blog Monkey Challenge
What's Written On Dighton Rock?


In the 1950s, workers uncovered a huge 40-ton rock near Berkeley, Massachusetts with strange marks and symbols carved on it. It had first been described around 1680 and was studied many times by scholars in the centuries after, as per New England.
Because it appears to have both pictorial inscriptions as well as some letter-like carvings, not everyone thinks it is the work of Native tribes in the area, but possibly the work of sailors from Portugal or even proof of Viking or Phoenician visitation.

Andre says, "If anyone can decipher this message, it would have to be a writer."

Share your theory, and solve the message in the marks and symbols. Convince your readers that your theory is the only factual solution.


******


So many great minds have spent centuries trying to decipher the markings on Dighten Rock. How the inhabitants and authors of the area would laugh about the time and energy expended when there is such a simple answer.
It was around this time the Puritans had settled there. They were trying to fit in peacefully with the local Mohawks. The Dighten rock became a meeting place. Long discussions took place, each side trying to put their point of view across without causing offence.
They would sit around the rock for hours and doodle as the new laws were made. One of the carvings has been interpreted as saying: KILROY WAS HERE. and another says: MUST REMEMBER TO FEED THE DOG. Yet another sweet one was: I LOVE POCAHONTAS. This one has an arrow and a heart.
Underneath these is a shopping list.: DON’T FORGET TO ORDER TWO BAGS OF SALT.
It’s simple really, they were just ordinary folks going about their business.



Frog in a Hanging Basket




© Copyright 2022 Sumojo (UN: sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sumojo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1024492-Dighten-Rock-Day-two-Blog-Monkey-Challenge