*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026175-Take-Me-To-Church---Hozier
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#1026175 added February 6, 2022 at 10:07pm
Restrictions: None
Take Me To Church - Hozier
Soundtrack of Your Life

Theme: What songs did I listen to last year?

Take Me To Church - Hozier

Love the dancing in this video. I love the music in this probably more than the words. It pulls me in and the dancing is exquisite. I wish I could move like that. It is so expressive and fluid.

A few lyrics:
My lover's got humor
She's the giggle at a funeral
Knows everybody's disapproval
I should've worshiped her sooner
If the Heavens ever did speak
She's the last true mouthpiece
Every Sunday's getting more bleak
A fresh poison each week
"We were born sick", you heard them say it
My church offers no absolutes
She tells me, "Worship in the bedroom"
The only Heaven I'll be sent to
Is when I'm alone with you
I was born sick, but I love it
Command me to be well
A-, Amen, Amen, Amen

Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life
Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life

This is also a beautiful video:


I did not include the official video because I found it too disturbing. Judgmental people really rub me the wrong way.

The meaning.... https://www.popsongprofessor.com/blog/2015/04/15/what-does-take-me-to-church-by-...

"The chorus is an explicit and sarcastic attack on legalistic churches (or any church that follows guides which cause congregants to feel shame). Hozier sings, "Take me to church / I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies / I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife." He claims that the church demeans its attendees and attacks them for the things they do when those things go against the church's doctrine."


I get this aspect. Many feel religion is an enforcer... a strict adherence to church doctrine and legalistic aspects that judge.

But I separate my love of God and the religion of church.

God is a higher power. God is love. In all religions, God is love. One common heartbeat.

The church is run by human-kind... and in that, it is open to human frailties. That is not to say that every organized religion is legalistic, but one must take care when interpreting God's Word. Judgement rests with God, not with us.

What saddens me is that many abusers look to the Bible as giving them the right to do what they do.... and that sickens me. Those people have twisted the Word to make is suit them and that is the evilness that seeps in. They have warped the Word, like leaving it outside in the rain.

I feel more connected with my God when I walk through a grove of trees and listen to the world around me, than I do sitting in church. I also feel more connected when I share an intimate moment with friends. Where there is love, there is God.

God does not leave us in our pain. He sits with us. His presence surrounds us.... like a hug. We only need to let him in to feel it and feel the peace that comes with knowing he will never leave us alone.

Humans may leave. He will not.

© Copyright 2022 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026175-Take-Me-To-Church---Hozier