*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026553-Fantasy-Newsletter-Deadline-April-11-2022
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#1026553 added April 15, 2022 at 5:12pm
Restrictions: None
Fantasy Newsletter Deadline April 11, 2022
Research

Editor's Picks

1. Precious
2. Phil's Stellar Day
3. Gary the Gnome
4. He Who Remembers
5. A Shamrock a day
6. The Assassination of Wyatt Earp
7. Balancing Act
8. The Strangeness Phenomen
9. Flowery Conversation

Heading 1

Where do Urban Legends start?

Heading 2

Do you remember hearing urban legend when you were growing up?

Hook

What urban legends did your family or childhood friends tell you?

About This Newsletter

"I've had a lifelong obsession with urban legends and American folklore."
Eric Kripke

" I'm going to check the world's best source for spawning new urban legends, the Internet. What, you thought I couldn't even type? The Web is just another threshold between one world and another."
Nalo Hopkinson


Letter From the Editor

I always wondered where urban legends came from. Today I realize that some of these legends begin in childhood. Stories we are told by our friends or family that we believed, when we first heard them. We heard the story and--no matter how illogical or unproven it was--we accepted it without bothering to investigate or ask questions.

I grew up in Blackwell, Oklahoma, not far from the Chikaskia River and a dam that created a lake on the river. I do not remember what the lake was called because we always referred to it as The Lake. My Grandfather rented a lot of land on the shore, put a mobile home on the land, and built a boat dock on the lake.

One of the urban legends I remember concerns Cottonmouth Water Moccasins. According to this story, there were nests of the venomous snakes in the lake, and it was dangerous for a water skier to fall off their skies and into one of the nests. As an adult, I know that is illogical and impossible, but as a young person, it frightened me when I would swim or go skiing.

Another story was about a catfish. According to this legend, there was a catfish big enough to eat a human being somewhere in the lake. In all the time my siblings and I swam and fished in that body of water, we never encountered a catfish that big. Some of those we caught were large and made good meals at fish fries, but none of them were gigantic.

The only other urban legend I remember about my hometown involved Bonnie and Clyde. It was said that during one of their crime sprees, they stayed in Blackwell overnight. I do not know how true this was, because I do not remember Blackwell being mentioned in the movie about them.

What urban legends have you heard about your hometown? Would any of those legends make a good story line, enhance a plot, or reveal something about your protagonist or antagonist?

Editors Picks

 Precious  (13+)
A traveling merchant asks for help
#2267751 by Just Jae


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2268312 by Not Available.


STATIC
Gary the Gnome  (E)
1st Place - The Lair - June 2020
#2225376 by QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham


 He Who Remembers  (13+)
The memories of an old god (A prologue to the coming story)
#2240816 by Peremos


 
STATIC
A Shamrock a day ...  (E)
For writer's Cramp St. Patrick's Day
#2269435 by fyn


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2269551 by Not Available.


 Balancing Act  (E)
Phil learns he is the guardian of nature.
#2269621 by Bryce Kenn


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2269641 by Not Available.


 
STATIC
Flowery Conversation  (E)
Bring on spring!
#2269675 by Genipher


Submitted by Readers

Activities, Groups, and Contests

 The Reptilian Chronicles  (18+)
Humanity has an interesting relationship with another race. 4,780+ Views
#1891761 by BIG BAD WOLF is hopping


 Werewolf Invasion  (18+)
Werewolves have invaded the Earth! Will they be Man's Best Friend or Worst Foe? 9,880+ Vs
#1734474 by BIG BAD WOLF is hopping


 Animals' Afterlife Includes Humans  (18+)
The Afterlife of Animals. It includes Humans. And Anthros. 4,830 Views.
#1672552 by BIG BAD WOLF is hopping


 The Revolution of Humans and Anthros  (18+)
For years, humans have been tiny pets for anthros to play with. No more. 9,340+ Views
#1622154 by BIG BAD WOLF is hopping



dragonwoman writes: It brings to mind, March Madness and March Hare. So Alice In Wonderland anyone?


Paul writes: I’m going to be 80 in July and I learned to read about 5 by getting my mother to read The Wizard of Oz to me until I’d memorized all the words. I started with pulp SciFy when I was about 8 so you could pick any of hundreds of authors who got me going. I’ve been reading it and fantasy since.


© Copyright 2022 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026553-Fantasy-Newsletter-Deadline-April-11-2022