*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026570-Fantasy-Newsletter-Deadline-August-29-2022
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#1026570 added August 31, 2022 at 6:28pm
Restrictions: None
Fantasy Newsletter Deadline August 29, 2022
Research

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/the-man-who-wants-to-release-thousands...
https://www.newsweek.com/tasmanian-tiger-thylacine-extinction-colossal-bioscienc...
https://www.grunge.com/758859/de-extinction-what-is-it-how-might-it-work-and-wha...

Editor's Picks

1. Into the Void
2. The Last Act
3. The Olympus of Yesteryear
4. To Be Lost
5. R.G.: Altura, The Unyielding City #1
6. The Garden City
7. SSS Sole Survivor Standing
8. Nutcracker in Hell
9. Looking for Lycans

Heading 1

De-extinction

Heading 2

What is de-extinction?

Hook

What are some of the dangers of de-extinction?

About This Newsletter

What is de-extinction? The Oxford English Dictionary gives an accurate definition of de-extinction. The way I understand it is that this process attempts to recreate an extinct animal species using modern technology. The technology that is used can be anything from selective breeding to cloning.

Letter From the Editor

Some of the species being considered for de-extinction are the Woolly Mammoth and the thylacine, or Tasmanian tiger. I can think of a few other species that might be good candidates for de-extinction. One such species is the passenger pigeon. I can also think of a few problems with this idea.

De-extinction has been attempted at least twice in the past few years. This attempt concerned the cloning of the Pyrenean Ibex, which failed. Another attempt was made through selective breeding to bring back the aurochs. I doubt that one or two attempts are going to stop scientist from trying to de-extinct other species. The reason is the possibility of re-balancing nature through de-extinction.

The white-throated rail did come back from extinction through natural processes. It originally went extinct because the islands where it evolved were submerged. After the islands re-emerged, another group of rails settled on the islands. It took thousands of years for this latter group of rails to evolve back into flightless birds, but they did.

What are some of the dangers of de-extinction? Is it possible to re-balance nature through de-extinction? I am not going to answer either of these questions here, because I would like to see what my readers have to say on this subject. Write a story or essay of one thousand words or less. If you need more information, you can do research on iterative evolution, resurrection biology, or de-extinction. The content rating is 18+ or less. The deadline is September 16, 2022.

Editors Picks

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2279130 by Not Available.


 The Last Act  (ASR)
A brief action brought on by supernatural act may have alternate affects.
#2269136 by brom21


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2278524 by Not Available.


 To Be Lost  (13+)
A short story about a man who lost himself.
#2279018 by ADeadKraken24


 R. G: Alturia, The Unyielding City #1  (E)
Two young californians find themselves in a strange otherworldly forest
#2250796 by Derrol Edwards- Fantasy Writer


 
STATIC
The Garden City  (13+)
A Kinder, Safer Future
#2174508 by BlackAdder


 SSS Sole Survivor Standing   (E)
One day. Just survive one more day. Survive and escape their wretched games…
#2277948 by DEANJENO


STATIC
Nutcracker in Hell  (18+)
A dancer/musician caught in the destruction of climate change is betrayed by a neighbor
#2278990 by Graywriter


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2269379 by Not Available.


Submitted by Readers

Activities, Groups, and Contests



Quick-Quill writes: We had no TV. I loved reading, it was my escape. I'm old, so I read A Wrinkle in Time which launched my Sci-Fi era. I read Laura Ingles Wilder which morphed into all pioneer stories. In my teen years, I read various books because of English Lit. Mostly classics. I Moved to romance. First the Gothic romance then the bodice rippers. Shanna by Katherine Woodiwiess is still my favorite book. I still read a variety of genres, it's all about the plot and the blurb, can you hook me?

Spring in my Sox writes: My parents didn't have to encourage me to read, they had to take my flashlight and books away at bed time.

dragonwoman writes: Wow, two of my stories in one newsletter! I'm so proud of myself. Thanks for including them Snow.

Graham Muad'dib writes: My parents didn't read to me much, instead teaching me to read at an early age so I could read for myself. The story that really got me into reading was the Odyssey. The epic story of a Greek hero fighting someone else's war and later, monsters and gods is what really sucked me into reading. It was well beyond my reading age, but there it is. I grew up reading all sorts of books and stories not appropriate for my age and I will do so for the rest of my life.

brom21 writes: The one book my single mother stressed for us to read was the most popular book on earth-the Bible! All the stories, particularly from the Old Testament, were so cool to hear! And on a similar note, the Bible is a great source for fantasy names. lol. Thanks for sharing!

Beholden writes: Thank you so much for including my short story, "Percy's Night Out," in your Editor's Picks.

BIG BAD WOLF is hopping writes: There was something about the Redwall series that has caused me to deal with Anthropomorphic Animalesque Humanoids - or Anthros for short.

writes:


© Copyright 2022 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026570-Fantasy-Newsletter-Deadline-August-29-2022